You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi All,

I’m pleased to say that we have just be pushed 2.3.1 (2212) to beta and plan a full 2.3.1 release next week (if nothing new & significant is found). There are only a limited number of fixes as detailed in my post here. 

We think it's important to address a few high customer impact bugs quickly in a 2.3.1 release, in a fast/stable manner.

The release of 2.4.0 with improvements and features and many other fixes will likely take a while to be "release ready" (need a longer beta testing cycle due to having more significant code changes). We have been internally testing 2.4.0 and so @Serif Info Bot has been posting about fixes found in 2.4.0.xxxx, and those fixes will be appearing in the next release cycle, not 2.3.1

With that in mind we will be starting 2.4.0 beta very shortly (hopefully in just a couple of weeks). Looking forward to seeing you all on here for that!

Thanks again,

Patrick Connor

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick, I have successfully downloaded & installed the  2.3.1 Beta releases. Just to point out that in the download section of My Account these are all shown as version 2.3.0, however the correct versions are downloaded. I used the Windows exe downloads. Thanks for the update, Geoff

This is a disappointing short list Patrick. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a big patch, but I wonder how you decide which bug takes priority.

As an example:
What about the image scaling issue in APub (AF-388), wouldn't it qualify for this list?
There have been quite a few posts on about that issue.
I would also find other, more important bugs than those on list.

PS: Nevermind. Could I have a request for you? Please ensure that internal testing of version 2.4.0 is thoroughly performed as the number of bugs and regressions in subsequent updates is alarming.

• Staff
38 minutes ago, bbrother said:

I wonder how you decide which bug takes priority.

Each bug has certain measures which are used to prioritize fixes. Customer Impact, Report Frequency and Code Risk. 2.4.0 codebase already includes 60+ fixes that affect 2.3.0 (including these 6 above)

The 2.3.1 fixes listed above have been chosen from those already available fixes, weighted primarily by code risk, then report frequency & customer impact.

AF-388 has not yet been addressed so was not available to be considered for it's inclusion.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

With that in mind we will be starting 2.4.0 beta very shortly (hopefully in just a couple of weeks). Looking forward to seeing you all on here for that!

Is there any chance it will be sooner than that?  I have just encountered a bug (unable to export a book with bleed (REF: AF-1349) ) and I will need to send this book off to print soon (yes - I should have tried before now,  but all my tests were for visuals and so didn't need the bleed!)

Or can I somehow "publish" a book with chapters into a single afpub file;  which will then print with the bleed?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, DuncanL said:

Or can I somehow "publish" a book with chapters into a single afpub file;  which will then print with the bleed?

You can Export the chapters individually[*] and they will have Bleed, and then combine them manually using a PDF editor designed to do such operations. Or even (perhaps) by using Publisher and Document > Add Pages from File....

* However, hyperlinks between chapters, and global numbering in lists, and perhaps some other cross-chapter functions probably would not work properly. So for a complex book I think this is unlikely to work completely correctly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You can Export the chapters individually[*] and they will have Bleed, and then combine them manually using a PDF editor designed to do such operations. Or even (perhaps) by using Publisher and Document > Add Pages from File....

* However, hyperlinks between chapters, and global numbering in lists, and perhaps some other cross-chapter functions probably would not work properly. So for a complex book I think this is unlikely to work completely correctly.

Thanks.  I think I've worked round it by using PDFSam - https://pdfsam.org/download-pdfsam-basic/ - to merge the individual chapter PDFs.  My numberings are all within each chapter, I have no links and the ToC looks OK.

Now I will have to see what the printer makes of the merged file - hopefully they won't complain!

Looking forward to the 2.4.0 beta to do it properly!

@Patrick ConnorAs long as you're posting about the status of bugs, I'm curious about the footnote bug in 

I don't know what the bug number is, but it's very clearly a bug and @Hangman debugged at least some of it, finding some specific cases where it happens. I've posted a bunch of videos recently showing how footnotes are being displayed improperly, especially when there are images on the page. I'd love to get this fixed soon, as even when it's fixed I have about 600 pages of the book I'm working on that I will need to go back and check. Thanks.

Hi @philipt18,

Just for reference in case it helps, the bug is logged as AF-279... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @Patrick Connor thanks for the quick patch especially for the document pallet issue. Looking forward to 2.4 whenever it becomes available.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

No issues found with the Windows or iOS version of Affinity Photo.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Hi @AiDon,

According to Patrick's message here 2.4 should be available this week, although I don't know for sure.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/195338-230-to-be-released-this-morning/page/2/#comment-1158248

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black