You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No DXF EXPORT in Designer 2 ..are you serious!?

5 minutes ago, Calvert said:

No matter how much you spend, or if its free, if it cant do what you need it. what good is it?

Yes, if Designer was a true Adobe killer, Id pay double what they are charging right now for Designer.

I just purchased $6000.00 3d reverse engineering software, not because of cost, but because of what it can do.

Please, stop acting like cost is the ONLY reason in the equation.

If you can afford software for £6000, why can’t you just pay 20 bucks per month and have DXF export (Illustrator)?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That was not my question. I asked would you spend £2000. I think that most people would not.

Cost is an essential part of any purchase. Else we would all be driving Rolls Royces and flying in private jets.

If it was the ONLY way I could do what I needed to do, then yes I would. However, all I would need to do is spend $599 on Corel and not $2000.

SO, LondonSquirrel would you purchase "MY Adobe competing product" for $34.99, even if it didnt do what you need it to do like Lightroom?

Hey, thats HALF price of Designer

6 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

If you can afford software for £6000, why can’t you just pay 20 bucks per month and have DXF export (Illustrator)?

I currently do pay for Adobe Illustrator and can export .dxf but Designer was hyped up to "replace " Adobe which is why were having this conversation.

Question is, why spend $60 on Designer - especially if it doesnt work for what you need?

9 minutes ago, Calvert said:

I currently do pay for Adobe Illustrator and can export .dxf but Designer was hyped up to "replace " Adobe which is why were having this conversation.

Question is, why spend $60 on Designer - especially if it doesnt work for what you need?

IF dxf-support was highly demand, Serif Labs should have fixed that now, but, there’s alot of other things to add/improve before an better export studio will occur in the Affinity Suite…

AND, Serif Labs have NEVER said that Affinity iSuite will replace Adobe CS….

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

44 minutes ago, Calvert said:

SO, LondonSquirrel would you purchase "MY Adobe competing product" for $34.99, even if it didnt do what you need it to do like Lightroom?

It depends. If it meets many of my needs then maybe. That is exactly why I bought ACDSee Photo Studio. I have had that on two Macs now for several years for a one off payment. It doesn't do everything that Lightroom does, but it does mostly what I need from a photo manager.

3 hours ago, Calvert said:

So, if Affinity Design doesnt adapt to a file format (dxf) that has been with us for at least 30 yrs in the CAD industry, I dont think it can be a good partner either.

Affinity Designer is not a CAD. The way it describes lines and curves is different from a CAD. I hope you understand the whole discussion about how impossible it is to get an accurate conversion between something like AI and DXF. You are obviously free to use any program doing an inaccurate conversion, and be happy.

Paolo

14 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

Affinity Designer is not a CAD. The way it describes lines and curves is different from a CAD. I hope you understand the whole discussion about how impossible it is to get an accurate conversion between something like AI and DXF. You are obviously free to use any program doing an inaccurate conversion, and be happy.

Paolo

Yeah, news flash, the guys taking your AI files are just converting them over to DXF if they're using any sort of industrial cnc. They just have a workflow in place that has given them acceptable results and don't mind taking the "risk" that their conversion process will degrade the cutting file. Most companies I've dealt with would prefer not to have those extra steps that might introduce errors into the final cut product that they'd then have to re cut to make it right. They really prefer to take something that'll work if they plug it straight into their machines and if the file is messed up it's your fault and not theirs.

Also after saying all that I have to laugh every time people say "ThIs DeSiGn sOfTwArE is nOt CAD" because the accuracy you get from the "artistic" software, 2D or 3D, is more than enough for 90%-95% of things that are built. Unless you're machining an engine or building nuclear or something like that getting results that are +/- 0.5mm are perfectly acceptable, especially for artistic things. The biggest problem is when splines get converted to poly lines and lose their curvature.

Honestly a whole building could be fully designed in Blender and built off of a 3D poly model and nobody would notice any inconsistencies with the design files due to Blender "Not being CAD". With single point float I think you could have 8km cubed of 0.1mm accuracy before you start seeing degradation in your design...

17 minutes ago, MulletAndMustache said:

Blender "Not being CAD".

That is not the issue. The output file format is. Blender does have limitations on its dxf exports: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/import_export/scene_dxf.html

So if you use Blender to design your building with the intention of using dxf as the output, make sure you do not use anything from the list of unsupported options.

None of this is helpful anyway. AD does not have dxf export. Maybe one day it will. But today it does not.

39 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That is not the issue. The output file format is. Blender does have limitations on its dxf exports: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/import_export/scene_dxf.html

So if you use Blender to design your building with the intention of using dxf as the output, make sure you do not use anything from the list of unsupported options.

None of this is helpful anyway. AD does not have dxf export. Maybe one day it will. But today it does not.

Yeah, na, I could export all of my flat files from Blender in .svg and run them through a DXF converter and still be within our +/- 1/32" cut tolerance. With structural steel it's all just squares or circles anyway... What I'm saying is when people try and bash software for "not being accurate enough because it's not a CAD program" they don't really get how accurate those programs are to begin with and how much tolerance there is in the real world when building stuff. Not everything needs super exact CAD precision.

The issue is there's plenty of machines that only take DXF files to cut profiles. So if you're designing something that needs to get cut by one of those machines your final deliverable is a DXF. If you're using splines to design your files the accuracy of those curves most likely aren't critical as long as it all comes out smooth in the end. So if they got a "Good enough" spline to DXF export and let the designer know that there might be some discrepancies between the source file and the output that would solve all of our DXF woes.

I've used a few sketchy paid german DXF (CAD-KAS and others) conversion/cleanup tools and they'll get "good enough" files from SVGs even. Their interfaces are all terrible and it takes a bit of time to get a good result though.

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

Paolo

I NEVER stated Affinity was a CAD. However, Affinity came out advertising they were in the same category as Corel and Adobe and it looks like they are NOT either. If that is the case, the 2 top competitors that they are "trying" to compete with BOTH export in dxf file format.

Sometimes, I use Adobe to save dxf for cnc sign shapes and are within tolerance to what we need. No big deal.

Bottom line, once again another program not what it was cracked up to be and fell short.             If I was Adobe, Id be laughing.

6 minutes ago, Calvert said:

I NEVER stated Affinity was a CAD. However, Affinity came out advertising they were in the same category as Corel and Adobe and it looks like they are NOT either. If that is the case, the 2 top competitors that they are "trying" to compete with BOTH export in dxf file format.

Sometimes, I use Adobe to save dxf for cnc sign shapes and are within tolerance to what we need. No big deal.

Bottom line, once again another program not what it was cracked up to be and fell short.             If I was Adobe, Id be laughing.

As I wrote above, Serif Labs has NEVER advertised that their software is like Corel/Adobe…

You’re welcome to show us some links or screenshots that show this advertising…

• Staff
1 minute ago, MulletAndMustache said:

a photoshop clone, an illustrator clone, and a publisher clone

If they were clones they would have all the same features. You are complaining they do not, so they are not clones ;) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

If they were clones they would have all the same features. You are complaining they do not, so they are not clones ;) 

So because you duplicate 99% of all the features (probably due to Serifs shortcomings)  you consider this software not a clone? Ironic your targeting the EXACT same customer base, with 99% of the same features and its not a clone? As I said earlier, Adobe is laughing.

If I would had known about Serifs shortcomings before the 30 day refund ran up, I would had got my money refunded, and would not have looked back.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

They have the same functionality and serve the same purpose... So you're directly competing with their products. Just because Photo is missing the magic wand doesn't mean you're not competing directly with Photoshop...

Dude we just want to be able to export to a 30 year old 2D curve file format from our 2D vector/curve editing software. If you can import it and you're starting to target the construction industry you need to be able to export it as well. Fully and clearly explain the limitations to the DXF export that you can achieve and your customers will deal with the rest.

30 minutes ago, MulletAndMustache said:

Dude we just want to be able to export to a 30 year old 2D curve file format from our 2D vector/curve editing software.

Writing an export filter is not a trivial task, even if it is documented (as DXF is). You would effectively have to have one-to-one mapping of attributes, at which point you might ask why not just use the other file format completely. You would also be limited in the development of your own file format if there were features that dxf does not support if you want to maintain that mapping.

None of this comes free. Development time is not "just" something. It does not cost nothing. Assuming Serif puts somebody (actually they will need >1 in case of sickness, staff leaving, etc) on this, that takes away from their other development. Only Serif can answer why they would or would not provide a non-native file export feature.

6 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

You would effectively have to have one-to-one mapping of attributes...

No. You just have to have mapping of the important attributes. Lots of information won't be pertinent from one file format to the other and DXFs are pretty bare bones as far as file information goes. Designers typically understand that when you're exporting to a 3rd party file format from any software you're going to lose information in the process.

I don't expect to be able to export a jpeg with an alpha channel for example...

The hard part that Serif doesn't want to do is figure out how to effectively convert splines to arcs. All of the other information needed for DXFs will already be in their own file formats.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

What happens when somebody else (i.e. not you) wants some "important attributes" which are not in your list of important attributes? The whole argument starts again...

OMFG then the designer can figure out a work around for what's not included, as everybody who's currently using Designer without DXF export features have been doing thus far. I have to do that whenever I export 3D data to a .step or .igs format, most of the time they even lose part naming. Or from OBJ or FBX... They all lose information when you export to a 3rd party.

Let me say it again. In the designer files there's already all of the information that would be needed to make DXFs. The HARD PART is converting SPLINES to the mathimatical ARCS that are needed in the DXF format.

4 hours ago, Calvert said:

If I would had known about Serifs shortcomings before the 30 day refund ran up, I would had got my money refunded, and would not have looked back.

As an expert in laser cutting, which you constantly declare yourself to be here, did you not notice during the duration of the trial version and during the refund period - that Afinity cannot export DXF? Wow.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.3.1.2217
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

58 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

As an expert in laser cutting, which you constantly declare yourself to be here, did you not notice during the duration of the trial version and during the refund period - that Afinity cannot export DXF? Wow.

First, I do not declare any such title with laser cutting. I didnt see that the lack of exporting ability till after the 30 day period.

If your such a fanboy of the Affinity Design, you shouldnt have any issue with owning 2 licenses, so I will sell you mine.   I see that as a win/win. You can be TWICE as happy, and I can go on and purchase a superior product elsewhere. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 6:12 PM, Pšenda said:

Again, it's sad to see people spending time trying to shame someone for requesting a feature.  

Who cares about the money or the trial period, whatever...  Features are requested by users for applications all the time.  Many applications are excellent but are missing some pretty important features.  Obviously they've recognized DXF as important because Affinity advertised it as a key feature for Designer 2.  But import and no export isn't a complete function.  

Deep breath everyone, we love Affinity but we have a need for feature that would make Designer2 even more functional, awesome and usable.  While it's not important to some, it is to others.

7 hours ago, LOB said:

Again, it's sad to see people spending time trying to shame someone for requesting a feature.  

If you would have tried to notice the context of my post, which you are responding to here, you would have understood - that it did not refer to a "request" for the function at all. As a reminder (if you missed it): "If I would had known about Serifs shortcomings before the 30 day refund ran up, I would had got my money refunded, and would not have looked back.".

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.3.1.2217
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.