You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making Affinity 1 available for purchase/download for those who cannot use Affinity 2

I downloaded trial version Affinity 2 but cannot use it as I have a macbook pro that is OS 10.14.6. I don't want to upgrade my OS as I do not want to lose itunes. I paid $3,000 for my macbook pro in 2019 so I am not about to buy a new one. I purchased Affinity 1 Photo and Designer. Since I cannot use Affinity 2 and would like to have Affinity 1 Publisher. Would Affinity put the old versions of the programs back up for sale? I know I am not the only person in this situation. Thanks for reading and please consider putting the Affinity 1 programs back up for sale.

michie

I have kind of similar situation. I have bought the whole suite of Affinity v1 for macOS and iPadOS, and I have been using it for few years. Now I bought a new MacBook and a new iPad, and I wanted to install the my purchased Affinity suite v1 but I can not find it. I dont want and I dont need v2. how can I install my purchased v1 version?

• Staff

@Tingspain

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

ALl your existing Mac App Store and iPad Store purchases are available in the stores under in your library, and can be installed going forward, just not bought by others

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@michie

Did you already buy V1 before we launched V2 or not? If you are, then you will still find it in the store where you bought it.

<edit> Suggestion removed as may not be possible </edit>

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@michie

Did you already buy V1 before we launched V2 or not? If you are, then you will still find it in the store where you bought it.

If you don't own V1 yet, then buy V2 at the current discounted price, come back and post here and I can arrange for you to get a copy of V1 instead.

I did already bought V1 of Affinity Photo and Designer a few years ago. What I want is V1 of Publisher. I can't use V2 because my OS on my macbook pro is 10.14.6 (please read my original post). I had downloaded the trial V2 and it doesn't work on my macbook due to my not wanting to upgrade my OS and losing itunes.

If you can arrange for me to get a V1 of Publisher that would be great, thanks so much.

4 hours ago, michie said:

I did already bought V1 of Affinity Photo and Designer a few years ago. What I want is V1 of Publisher. I can't use V2 because my OS on my macbook pro is 10.14.6 (please read my original post). I had downloaded the trial V2 and it doesn't work on my macbook due to my not wanting to upgrade my OS and losing itunes.

If you can arrange for me to get a V1 of Publisher that would be great, thanks so much.

He said that you have to purchase Publisher V2 in order for him to be able to arrange a V1 license.

44 minutes ago, Distill7 said:

He said that you have to purchase Publisher V2 in order for him to be able to arrange a V1 license.

Since I would be unable to use V2 it would be kind of useless for me to purchase that version. I wanted to purchase V1 of publisher which I am sure other people would be in the same situation and why I asked. Oh well, I appreciate your clarifying what he said though, as I misunderstood.

• Staff

@michie

If you already have V1 DON'T WORRY AND DON'T BUY V2. As I said you will find it in the store you already bought it on.

What is your OS and where did you get V1?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@michie

Buying the Affinity Suite V2 Universal licence and getting V1 retroactively would mean;
you only pay 1.02€ more than I did for V1 alone and I bought at EVERY launch offer.

39,99€ Affinity DesignerV1 2016 November
39,99 Affinity PhotoV1 2016 December
38,99 Affinity PublisherV1 2019 June
________
118,97€

Affinity v2 Universal
119,99€

I had to pay 238,96€ to get access to BOTH V1 and V2.
you get it for just 119,99€

It seems you are not realizing how generous Serif is with the above posted comment with getting you a V1 version.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If you already have V1 DON'T WORRY AND DON'T BUY V2. As I said you will find it in the store you already bought it on.

He bought Photo and Designer V1, Patrick. He wants Publisher V1, now. He did not purchase that one yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, myclay said:

@michie

Buying the Affinity Suite V2 Universal licence and getting V1 retroactively would mean;
you only pay 1.02€ more than I did for V1 alone and I bought at EVERY launch offer.

39,99€ Affinity DesignerV1 2016 November
39,99 Affinity PhotoV1 2016 December
38,99 Affinity PublisherV1 2019 June
________
118,97€

Affinity v2 Universal
119,99€

I had to pay 238,96€ to get access to BOTH V1 and V2.
you get it for just 119,99€

It seems you are not realizing how generous Serif is with the above posted comment with getting you a V1 version.

That's not how it really works. You probably used V1 for a couple of years saving money compared to competitors or earning income using it. And now while you'll use V2, let's say for 3 years, he'll use V1 and you both will to pay for V3. You're getting the better deal here.

point is; the Thread here is about a user who complained not to get V1 licenses.
Serif team responded and  says they can give V1 licenses when V2 is purchased.

its a fantastic deal especially considering that V1 will get some compatibility patches.

1 hour ago, myclay said:

point is; the Thread here is about a user who complained not to get V1 licenses.
Serif team responded and  says they can give V1 licenses when V2 is purchased.

its a fantastic deal especially considering that V1 will get some compatibility patches.

Um I did not complain, it was a suggestion to Serif Affinity, to make V1 available for people in the same situation as me. I get that's buying V2 is a good deal but at this point I am trying to make the decision if I am going to keep doing freelance work. I am not as proficient with Affinity Photo and Designer. I used Adobe Creative Suite it for so many years that I was super fast and knew where every tool was and all the key commands.

The graphic design industry has changed a great deal, there are cheaply priced designers that can be found online from overseas. There are some clients just don't care that much about quality design and skills and are okay with just getting the job done cheaply. I guess only large design firms get the clients that care about excellent design and have the clients that will pay for the talent and skills.

I've been very lucky and had a good career that I loved as a graphic designer. Now retired from graphic design and only do small jobs once in awhile. So it's on me if I really want to keep putting money into expensive computers and keep buying programs. I have appreciated having an option to use non subscription graphics suite (didn't buy V1 publisher at the time). So it's on me to make up my mind. Thanks for everyone's input.

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@michie

What is your OS and where did you get V1?

I purchase V1 designer and photo on the affinity website but did not buy publisher at the time. I think it was in 2020 but am not sure what OS I was using at the time. I just have decisions to make. Thanks for your replies.

Hi @michie 
ah that helps a lot in understanding the intention.👍
For the decision making, best to sleep over it, there is a bit of time since the discount goes until 14th of december.

• Staff

I'm struggling to do for you what I wanted to do, as I can no longer see V1 available on our system (it's been deprecated as an application). My plan was for you to buy Publisher V2, but to ALSO drop a license for Publisher V1 into your account, but I simply haven't found a way to do that yet, so didn't come back to the thread suggesting it. I'll see if anyone can suggest a way I can give you a macOS Publisher 1. If I cannot then I'm sorry to have wasted your time 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

9 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I'm struggling to do for you what I wanted to do, as I can no longer see V1 available on our system (it's been deprecated as an application). My plan was for you to buy Publisher V2, but to ALSO drop a license for Publisher V1 into your account, but I simply haven't found a way to do that yet, so didn't come back to the thread suggesting it. I'll see if anyone can suggest a way I can give you a macOS Publisher 1. If I cannot then I'm sorry to have wasted your time 

Not a waste of time at all. You attempted gave me an option, that was kind of you and much appreciated. 🙂

• Staff
3 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

I never thought about it, but, would a second hand license be an option?

Are license transfers even supported by Serif? I don't know.

People sell V1 with their product key, but that key only works with their email address, so it feels like you are selling something personal.

Serif didn't encourage it but it happens sometimes. The license agreement says it's not transferable 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

To be honest, that's one of the reasons why I don't buy Macs. Mojave is a mere 4 years old. Windows 10 is 7 years old, and still going, in the sense of being supported by current software. Will probably still be supported in 3 years, when it becomes 10 years old.

Especially as a development platform, this has gotta suck. A lot of professional audio software was very late to migrate to Apple Silicon. The joy of having to rewrite a lof of code, just because the hardware manufacturer decides that ARM is the future. ;)

4 hours ago, chakko007 said:

To be honest, that's one of the reasons why I don't buy Macs. Mojave is a mere 4 years old. Windows 10 is 7 years old, and still going, in the sense of being supported by current software. Will probably still be supported in 3 years, when it becomes 10 years old.

Especially as a development platform, this has gotta suck. A lot of professional audio software was very late to migrate to Apple Silicon. The joy of having to rewrite a lof of code, just because the hardware manufacturer decides that ARM is the future. ;)

Windows 10 has many different versions which have already reached their end of life. 

There are plenty of applications that are running on MacOS that were written for Intel based Macs with no issue on the ARM processors thanks to Rosetta. 

Also, Microsoft (and others) are offering ARM based processors for Windows that does the same for X86(_64) based applications but not as well.

I find @michie reasoning intriguing. I'm not sure what about iTunes they are concerned about losing with an upgrade, but I understand it.

• Staff

@Courtney2

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

12 minutes ago, Courtney2 said:

I just purchased Affinity Photo V2 after seeing Patrick Conner's post about being able to get V1.

Sorry I will hide my post as it may not be possible. Contact AffinityOrders@serif.com and mention this thread 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 hours ago, Courtney2 said:

Arrrg, I just purchased Affinity Photo V2 after seeing Patrick Conner's post about being able to get V1.  I'm stuck on MacOS 10.13.6 indefinitely; there are a lot of us in this situation, can't Serif make V1 available to us, even if in an unsupported form?  It's really important to many new customers!

10.13.6 is the last version of MacOS with the original, non iOS riddled font handling, and many other benefits of not having become contorted to bring compatibility with iOS apps.

It's also the last version that runs light and fast with Audio apps with minimal intrusion from the T1/T2 and subsequent efforts at security, and the last before obligatory forms of app signing and new forms of hardware encryption that have all sorts of side effects for serious pro work.

Some professional software recognises this. Ableton Live is one of the best. Sadly, most professional software companies have decided to follow Apple's strong encouragement of only supporting later Mac and iOS versions as Apple considers this a great way to sell upgraded, newer systems... 

56 minutes ago, deeds said:

10.13.6 is the last version of MacOS with the original, non iOS riddled font handling, and many other benefits of not having become contorted to bring compatibility with iOS apps.

It's also the last version that runs light and fast with Audio apps with minimal intrusion from the T1/T2 and subsequent efforts at security, and the last before obligatory forms of app signing and new forms of hardware encryption that have all sorts of side effects for serious pro work.

Some professional software recognises this. Ableton Live is one of the best. Sadly, most professional software companies have decided to follow Apple's strong encouragement of only supporting later Mac and iOS versions as Apple considers this a great way to sell upgraded, newer systems... 

In other words planned obsolescence. It's getting really tiresome. Everyone is so worried about plastic grocery bags but there is a ton more waste that from planned obsolescence, in my opinion. I actually probably won't buy an apple computer next time and it's the only type I have ever bought since I started using computers.