• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

Hi,

We were surprised and delighted that Publisher was awarded Apple's macOS App of the Year last week, and of course, this is where it really all happens, so we would like to thank you once again for all of your feedback and input. We would not have made it so far and so fast without you.

That said, it's pretty much business as usual, and we are pleased to announce that a new Customer Beta of Affinity Publisher (1.8.0.523) is now available as a download from the link above. Barring catastrophe this will probably be our last update this year.

As this is a 'Stability and General Testing' beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the beta, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread. 

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Once again, many thanks for your continued feedback, and best wishes for the Holiday Season and the New Year.

---

StudioLink

This build of Affinity Publisher, 1.8.0 Beta, requires 1.8.0 Beta builds of Photo and Designer for StudioLink to function. We hope to make these available soon.

---

New Features and Major Improvements

Preflight

We have introduced a preflight check feature which can be used to ensure that your document exports or prints as intended. The preflight check runs as a background process, and can be run on on demand, prior to output, or 'live' on a continual basis. We currently have a number of separate tests with more planned for inclusion in the final 1.8 and in the future.

Preflight is configured via the 'Preflight' panel, which supports profiles to specify which tests should be run if you desire. An indicator is provided on the status bar for immediate feedback on the process. Note we have requested updated icons as we are aware that colour alone is not a good way to represent the different statuses.

Please feel free to suggest additional tests - it's likely that many will already be under consideration but please don't let that deter you.

Fixes and Smaller Updates

New Document Panel
Panel is now resizable and modeless.
Reworked categories and subcategories.
Added multiple user template folder support.
Added Page Preset label (allow for `Custom`).
For those items with no previews, we draw the Affinity icon for now.
Excluded IDML files from quicklook preview.

Document Setup
Adding a page via menu / shortcut wasn't propagating desired properties.
(Win) Changing DPI in a facing page document could incorrectly cause pages to be resized.

General
(Win) Stock Panel search criteria is no longer cleared when switching providers.
(Win) Global Colour Picker was not using document's colour space.

Text
Space between paragraphs of the same style can now be set explicitly.
Stylistic Sets and Character Variants now show names in UI if defined by the font.
OpenType UI now uses feature descriptions from font and smarter samples.
Improved SmallCaps and CapsToSmallCaps handling.
Updated handling of 'Kerning' in Text Styles.
Fixed a couple of issues with 'Towards Spine / Away from Spine' UI.
Inline Text Frames were showing spelling errors in overflow.
(Mac) Fixed insets controls in Text Frame panel.
Fixed crash pinning to master page.
Fixed failure to report missing fonts for non character glyphs.
Drop caps 'Auto' now deals with inline images correctly.
Text in Text frames at very edge of page could show the wrong page number.
(Mac) Fixed insets controls in Text Frame panel.
(Win) Character Panel was not always reflecting current font properly.

Hyperlinks
Add ability to see and sort by hyperlink type. 
(Mac) Fixed crash when switching a file based hyperlink to use a different file.
(Mac) Fixed possible crash on showing Insert Hyperlink Dialog.

File Import
Some Embedded Documents could initially render incorrectly after re-opening host document.
Adding Pages from File manages mismatch in document transparency properly.
Fixed missing elements when importing specific EPS features.
Fixed crash on Windows when jpeg error handler triggered.

IDML
Fixed crashes on import for specific sample files.
Supports space between paragraphs of same style.
Improved import of unencoded glyphs.

XLSX
Fix for hidden columns.
Some text field types not imported.

Export
PDF/X-3 Embedding a colour profile was always converting image colour spaces to match the profile.

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this beta notification thread 

To be notified when this update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Publisher customers, please follow this release notification thread

What has happened to the Insert Filler Text option of having Alice (hold down the shift key) inserted instead of Lorem Ipsum? I noticed this in the preceding beta as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

The Easter egg of Alice in Wonderland text on Shift interfered with the custom assignment of any other shortcut key combination to "filler text" (if that custom shortcut included Shift) You always got Alice text. Without a better implementation the assignment of custom keys was deemed more important, so it has currently been removed.

Dave has explained how you can set it up to always insert this text here if it is helpful

[AFB-3004]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

35 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Dave has explained how you can set it up to always insert this text here if it is helpful

Reading why it was removed makes sense. I would rather have more options for Shortcuts. I can live with Lorem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

. I can live with Lorem

It's also pretty simple to import Alice, as Dave mentioned :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
I'm a bit afraid if this is a stupid question, but still better to find answer here then trying it out... Can I run the Publisher Beta-1.8.0.523 on the same Mac where I am working with the purchased 1.7.3 ? I just need to open 2 .idml files and don't feel like paying 200 bugs to Markzware... Merci!

Ho @Jeannette, welcome to the forums!

23 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Can I run the Publisher Beta-1.8.0.523 on the same Mac

This is actually the only way to run the beta as it will not open unless it sees the released version installed.

They can be run side-by-side and do not share settings, but be warned that if you open a document in the beta version, you might not be able to open it again in the released version after that as it could be updated to the newer file format that the released version doesn't understand.

• Staff

Apologies if this seems picky (or obvious), but to be clear, if you open and save a document in the beta version you might not be able to open it again in the released version after that due to a file format update. We do suggest you make copies of files you intend to open in the beta to avoid any accidents. :)

On 1/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, Jeannette said:

Hello,
I'm a bit afraid if this is a stupid question, but still better to find answer here then trying it out... Can I run the Publisher Beta-1.8.0.523 on the same Mac where I am working with the purchased 1.7.3 ? I just need to open 2 .idml files and don't feel like paying 200 bugs to Markzware... Merci!

Hi @Jeanette,

this is actually how I'm working. I use AP 1.8.x to open my IDML files, so I can copy all ressources (Textes, etc), and then paste them in AP 1.7.x for production. Both apps are open side-by-side without a bug. Bienvenue :-)

• Staff

@Paul Chiswick

You will find it is a new Studio (panel) [which is off by default] so look for it in View > Studio > Preflight 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 1/6/2020 at 2:13 PM, AdamW said:

Apologies if this seems picky (or obvious), but to be clear, if you open and save a document in the beta version you might not be able to open it again in the released version after that due to a file format update. We do suggest you make copies of files you intend to open in the beta to avoid any accidents. :)

I just realized I was being dragged away by the cool idml conversion feature, so after checking for errors, I already proceeded working in b523 as I was in the "flow"... :S.

Yeah, I know that's my fault... Will it be possible to copy/paste some beta-objects over to the 1.8 release?

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• Staff
1 hour ago, woefi said:

I just realized I was being dragged away by the cool idml conversion feature, so after checking for errors, I already proceeded working in b523 as I was in the "flow"... :S.

Yeah, I know that's my fault... Will it be possible to copy/paste some beta-objects over to the 1.8 release?

If you mean the 1.7 release, then 'probably' but no guarantees. If you do really mean 1.8, then yes, no problem, we always aim to be backward compatible.

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

If you mean the 1.7 release, then 'probably' but no guarantees. If you do really mean 1.8, then yes, no problem, we always aim to be backward compatible.

I meant 1.8 beta to 1.8 release (which, of course is a moving target...)

To clarify, I wondered, if I will be able to rescue parts of my 1.8beta docs to the 1.8release.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

55 minutes ago, woefi said:

To clarify, I wondered, if I will be able to rescue parts of my 1.8beta docs to the 1.8release.

In most cases, documents created in the beta can be opened in the subsequent release, but my understanding is that this is not guaranteed to always be the case.