You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.2.2 - RC1) [BETA CLOSED]

• Staff

This beta has been superseded by the release of Affinity Designer for macOS 1.7.2 to the public. Check back on this forum for future betas.

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Download link removed as 1.7.2 is now live

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first release candidate build of Affinity Designer 1.7.2 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.7.1 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Matt

Changes Since 1.7.1

- Improved usability with Apple’s Sidecar for macOS Catalina and iPadOS 13. (This build is still not notarized, so requires user action to allow it to run)

- Grid gutters reinstated.

- ‘Edit all layers’ can now be used to allow/disable artboard object reparenting during translation drag/object creation.

- Fix for bleed export options.

- Fix for issues with constraints on children of constrained objects which are used as clips.

- Fix for failure to load SVG colour 'none' causing import to stop.

- Fix for pen tablet barrel rotation input turning the wrong way.

- General performance improvements.

- Text performance improvements.

- Added ‘d’ default keystroke to restore objects to black and white colours.

- PDF export improvements.

- Added TGA export.

- Different icon for beta builds.

- Added a warning when deleting a global colour.

- Fixed broken Japanese keyboard input (sorry!).

- Fixed printing CMYK documents on older versions of macOS.

- Fixed crash when reentering export dialog under certain conditions.

- Fixed crashes when pasting screenshots into the app.

- Fixed loss of legacy HSL adjustment HSV state after a save.

- Assorted small fixes and improvements.

- Help improvements.

- Localisation improvements.

- Import 16bit half float JPEG-XR files properly.

- Improved LAB colour conversions.

- Pantone palettes are now sorted alphabetically.

- Fixed crash when starting app in a folder containing weird characters.

22 minutes ago, MattP said:

a folder containing weird characters.

Like in Walt Kelly's Pogo or Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Like in Walt Kelly's Pogo or Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books?

How dare you suggest that Pogo, Churchy, et al. are “weird characters”!! >:( :P whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Wow! No Mac customer Designer 1.7.2 beta for what seemed like forever ... & then Boom, we get RC1!! :)

Now I can finally try the 1.7.2. Publisher beta with both StudioLink personas. Yay!!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
Just now, R C-R said:

Now I can finally try the 1.7.2. Publisher beta with both StudioLink personas. Yay!!

It may work, but that may require another beta build of Affinity Publisher, for reasons too complicated to go into here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It may work, but that may require another beta build of Affinity Publisher, for reasons too complicated to go into here

Rats! I gave it a shot but while the Photo persona works with the Photo beta, the Designer one does not. :(

I did the usual launch of the AD beta & opened a file with it with the Pub beta not running, but no luck. I don't suppose restarting my Mac would make any difference, would it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

StudioLink doesn't work for either Designer or Photo.  OK will just use MAS and store versions until new release comes. Thanks for all the hard work.

• Staff
45 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't suppose restarting my Mac would make any difference, would it?

Nope I do not think so. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, abarkalo said:

StudioLink doesn't work for either Designer or Photo.

StudioLink worked for me to enable the Photo persona of the 1.7.2.422 beta build of Affinity Publisher with the 1.7.2.147 build of the Affinity Photo beta installed, but not with the latest Photo 1.7.2.149 - RC1 build. So I guess there is something in the RC1 versions that the non RC1 version of Pub is not compatible with.

But for all 3 betas, the File > Edit in Designer/Photo/Publisher menu item works, which I suppose is something.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

StudioLink worked for me to enable the Photo persona of the 1.7.2.422 beta build of Affinity Publisher with the 1.7.2.147 build of the Affinity Photo beta installed, but not with the latest Photo 1.7.2.149 - RC1 build. So I guess there is something in the RC1 versions that the non RC1 version of Pub is not compatible with

That is what I would expect, thanks for confirming your findings

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

32 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

That is what I would expect, thanks for confirming your findings

If there are to be any more Photo & Designer betas released that will not work with the then current Pub beta's StudioLink, perhaps that could be mentioned in the OP so people like me won't get their hopes up?

Affinity Photo 

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

If there are to be any more Photo & Designer betas released that will not work with the then current Pub beta's StudioLink

From what I understand of it, the implied compatibility of "StudioLink" seems to be:

• Publisher Beta will only work with Photo Beta and/or Designer Beta
  • Publisher (released) will only work with Photo (released) and/or Designer (released)
  • It will usually NOT work unless the Publisher version is at least as new as the corresponding Photo and/or Designer versions
  • The Photo or Designer version must have been run at least once outside of Publisher before Publisher is started for it to detect those programs
  • For early 1.7.2 beta builds and earlier versions, applications must be in their original locations and have their original names.  For the Mac, they must be in the Applications folder.

3 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

… and: All apps must not be placed outside the „Application“ folder or within a user created extra folder in the „Application“ folder, as far macOS is concerned.

Thanks, added a comment to that effect.

• Staff
3 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

and: All apps must not be placed outside the „Application“ folder or within a user created extra folder in the „Application“ folder, as far macOS is concerned.

Not so for this beta AFAIK (though it is true of the 1.7.1 builds and earlier 1.7.2 betas). The current betas and forthcoming 1.7.2 MAS and Affinity Store mac should be able to overcome this limitation.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 hours ago, fde101 said:
  • It will usually NOT work unless the Publisher version is at least as new as the corresponding Photo and/or Designer versions

It is the "usually" part that makes it difficult for Publisher beta testers (well, at least me) to know if StudioLink is working properly in the beta or not. That's why I suggested that info should be included in each new beta build.

Affinity Photo 

Not  big deal, but is there any possibility of seeing the addition of a Magic Wand/Flood Select Tool in Designer's Pixel Persona for the next update?

I would add this in under "Feature Requests", but because it's available in Designer for iPad I thought it may have mistakenly been overlooked for Designer for desktop.
Never thought I'd miss it much, but in its absence I have been finding myself switching to Photo purely for using the Flood Select Tool, which can become a bit tedious.

Is Symbol sync problem (combination with global colors) still important at all? For about 3 years there are still no improvements?

Symbols breaks after editing Global Colors !!! (and in some other situations.)

any solutions or workaround available?

Thank you

Edited by Avestaman
Video added + some Links