You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bugs and improvements

• Staff

@Radediciones

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) Thanks for your suggestions.

Can you give a recipe where "subscript fails" please?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi,

I don't think Word files have to be imported. RTF is quite enough.

Footnotes and endnotes are obligatory..

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

To be a spoil-sport here the more importing options in Publisher the better.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I completely agree with requiring the ability to import Office Suite data like Word/Writer texts or Excel/Calc tables.

In fact, good old Page Plus has what for me is a crucially necessary component: the ability to create Excel-compatable tables right in the layout program itself. As it is, having to type in information in Affinity Publisher that one already has in another form (Excel) is a waste of time, energy and money.

Excel files import are supposed to be able to import, but I think RTF is much easier and covinient to work with. For example, I have problem importing .DOC(X) files saved in Word, but I can import .DOC(X) filed saved in SoftMaker (rather strange). It is absolutelly the same for RTF files.

Talking about tables:

• tables should be inline (inside text box) with added repeating header/footer on each page if table span on multiple pages.
  • in the future Publisher should introduce (simple) math in tables with references to another table(s) in the same document or even to table(s) from a closed document [(Papyrus (now known as PapyrusAuthor) can do this].

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

@Radediciones

Affinity Publisher is currently only supporting typographical features like subscript and superscript where the font itself has it is supported and so Affinity Publisher is not faking it for other characters or fonts without those typographic elements supported , which is what you are perhaps expecting.

If you change the font I expect you will see that the subscript /superscript feature is normally supported by the whole font or not at all. Your font says it supports superscript and subscript but then only has a few characters defined for each (t,m,p,s,a,o,e,h,n,l for subscript and only n & i for superscript) which is very odd indeed. I do not think this will be true for many other installed fonts.

This is currently By Design (until we decide whether to fake the superscript and subscript look for a font which does not support these typographical features).

As the first 3 requests were feature requests (Word import Excel import and footnotes) would you like this moving this to the suggestions / feature requests forum or do you still think there is a bug I am overlooking?.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

This is currently By Design (until we decide whether to fake the superscript and subscript look for a font which does not support these typographical features).

Thanks, Patrick.

I'm curious whether that would also apply to "faking" italic and bold for fonts that don't supply italic and bold variants? The Affinity applications are the first ones I've encountered that don't do that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Patrick.

I'm curious whether that would also apply to "faking" italic and bold for fonts that don't supply italic and bold variants? The Affinity applications are the first ones I've encountered that don't do that.

You can use "shear" for fake italics and character "outline" for fake bold.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My understanding is that InDesign doesn't do it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Patrick.

@Dave Harris has said something about this a while ago (about Designer I think or perhaps in our Serif only internal QA forum[yes we do have one] ) but I cannot find it just yet, sorry. Perhaps he will take a break from programming Publisher and help me here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Please check out the bottom right combobox in the Position and Transform section of the Character Panel for synthesised Super / Subscript. 

We have chosen not to synthesise italic / bold - there is a lot more to creating for instance, a good quality italic than just applying a shear transform to the regular outlines.

AdamW solution is fine.  But I find the behavior of the different places / buttons in which you can work with sub and superscript contradictory. I tried with my big collection of fonts and until now I did not find any that behave like they do in Adobe Indesign with respect to this item.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:44 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@Dave Harris has said something about this a while ago (about Designer I think or perhaps in our Serif only internal QA forum[yes we do have one] ) but I cannot find it just yet, sorry. Perhaps he will take a break from programming Publisher and help me here

Neither ID nor QXP do (well, it can under certain circumstances). Nor will AI or XDP. Nothing should. 

For faux italics, ID can slant/shear. Works decent on sans serif fonts as many are really just slanted, some are slanted and optically corrected. No serif font should be, though. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.