Phil Martin

Publisher does not recognize WORD .docx files!

Usually these epub converters have trouble with page breaks in PDFs and cannot produce clean reflowable ebooks. I had to edit the text content to remove page numbers and page breaks and tweak the css last time I tried.

Maybe this version works better now?

I have pretty good success with this app. It sure is a viable alternative to many other suggestions. Like I said it is really inexpensive, well supported, often updated. It is really worth a try. I have connected 2200 page PDFs to Word etc with close to perfect.

This thread started off due to the lack of DOC/DOCX support and the previous few comments have been about PDFs and AniceSoft's EPUB converter which is kind of going off topic.

12 minutes ago, GreatSouthernBear said:

So sorry…no more posts from me on the topic.:/

Discussing the other things is quite appropriate, but they should probably be in a more relevant thread.

Again…so sorry. Still the remarks were generated in response to someone else's question, I think and got out into the main discussion? Anyway it was of help to some people. I will try to not make this error again. I should have created a new topic.

A I have understood, a docx is essentially a zipped package of XML files. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a pretty convenient import tool for that. But I also understand that as long as you can copy-paste the text from the text processor of your choice, it's not the most urgent feature to build.

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

Until Affinity Publisher supports anchored / attached objects in flowing documents docx import is not going to be satisfactory to anyone with more than text in their files. There's an orderly way to develop Affinity Publisher and we are building from the ground up. All in good time.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

I've had my say, here and elsewhere, about the bizarre lack of an internal wordprocessor, importing Word files etc. Currently, I'm trying to find ways of working with what we have.

So here's a for-instance. I have a 2000 word article that I need to include in my newsletter and a contributor supplies it, late as usual, in Word format. I'm a cheapskate who hates Gates and uses LibreOffice Writer. It's pretty good, so I can load up the Word file and save it as RTF. I check it for the idiot contributor's usual mistakes, mis-spellings and inaccuracies and use Publisher's Place function to put the text into my standard newsletter template. I pipe the content through a few text frames and wait for some other key contributions to arrive.

At the last minute, the resident legal eagle says on no account must unflattering references to a certain celebrity be published while she-who-must-be-obeyed says the article must be cut by 15% and an explainer added.

Now, if AP could export the (already revised) text back into LibreOffice so that I could edit the content as a piece of English, rather than pretty fonts on a nice background, I might not have the oft-threatened heart attack. But can I do that quickly and easily? Maybe twice to get it right?

Answers on a digital postcard, please.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:40 PM, CosineCuber said:

This thread started off due to the lack of DOC/DOCX support and the previous few comments have been about PDFs and AniceSoft's EPUB converter which is kind of going off topic.

Well, there is no answer, is there CosineCuber?

6 hours ago, Paul Martin said:

Now, if AP could export the (already revised) text back into LibreOffice so that I could edit the content as a piece of English, rather than pretty fonts on a nice background, I might not have the oft-threatened heart attack. But can I do that quickly and easily? Maybe twice to get it right?

Personally, I think I could do the edits you hypothesized in Publisher. But if you don't want to, you can grab all the text (with formatting) from a linked set of Text Frames by putting the cursor in a frame, pressing Ctrl+A, and then pasting into a LibreOffice document. How completely the formatting will transfer I can't say, not having done an extensive test. Nor do I know how well it will survive the trip back, but if you feel you must move outside of Publisher to do the editing that capability exists today.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.249 Beta

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think I could do the edits you hypothesized in Publisher.

The idea is to send back the "clean" text to the author, so he can shorten it himself (if he want it… yesterday, in a last minute modification, I needed an author to shorten his article of 1700 characters… he send me a new text shorten of only 1000 characters, and we decided with the publication's director to put back the 1st and shortest version we initially put in the magazine… We hope next time he'll have learnt the lesson!).

For simple article, it's easy to copy-paste a few text frames in another application the authors can use.
But for some yearly publication, it's better to be able to send a whole document's text to the client after the publication, for him to do modification until net time we'll update the design and text next year.

The important point is to be able to send the corrected text, and not have to do again all the corrections, rewriting, etc. that we would have to do if the author send us a modified v1 text. When they do that, I need to use a difference program to search for modifications, and depending of how many differences are in the document, we go back to step 1 (re-reading, rewriting, etc.) or I modify the current article. Depending of the quality of the texts, it can be time consumming.

Being able to export a whole document, or the content of some selected/copied text frames could be usefull.
Options would be to keep text styles and tables, or not (can be a problem with white text or fonts), exporting to black text, justify left in few effects styles (normal + bold + italic only?).

PS. I tested it, and now copying-pasting to LibreOffice is fine: it doesn't end up being an image or "texte au kilomètre", an unique line of text without paragraphs!

Edited by Wosven
Added PS

1 hour ago, Tom Blyth said:

In PagePlus, that would be a task for WritePlus. Is that facility not available in Publisher?

It currently is not and it is not clear (outside of Serif) what plans there are if any to support such a thing later on.

Thanks for your answer. Although I have the Beta, I'm still working with PagePlus because I edit, design and publish books. I need the certainty of PP and can't risk finding a problem with  APub way into a big project. However, I'm confident that APub will be excellent when it's launched. I guess it is difficult to accommodate every need. I started this thread (I think it was me) to express my hope that APub would, at the minimum, have the facility to handle doc/docx and this has, I believe, been taken up by the design team. There have been many useful comments on difficulties with Word and on workflow, and I've learned a lot.  Maybe we'll need to find our own work-arounds if the first version of APub is not absolutely perfect.

I think it was me

The history is there for the entire thread.  You didn't start this one.

if the first version of APub is not absolutely perfect.

No program from any developer will ever be 100% perfect for everyone.