You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, debbru said:

Can anyone please tell me how do you set up a crop preset

On the Context toolbar, in the Mode menu, select Custom Ratio

Set your ratio, such as 7 x 3 in the Toolbar entry boxes

Back in the Mode menu, select Add Preset

Give it a name and click OK

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

That's the same thing I need. It does not work as it should. If I enter fixed 13.33x10 cm, the field for cutting is only very small. (See [pigeon] Taube_1). However, if I drag the field to the desired section, the size is no longer correct. (See [pigeon] Taube_2).

Am I doing something wrong or what else do I have to do?

Best Regards

Guzzi

Taube-2.thumb.jpg.7fbd3f39a7c542a57d96b9e20fe1cd10.jpg

Taube_1.jpg

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

You’re using absolute dimensions („Absolute Abmessungen“). You need to use a custom ratio („Selbst definiertes Verhältnis“) instead.

Incidentally, I wonder whether „Benutzerdefiniertes“ (user-defined) wouldn’t be a better term than „Selbstdefiniertes“. :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Same problem.

I need to crop an image maintaining the ORIGINAL ZISES AND PROPROTIONS of the original.

How???

I created a preset with the specifical dimensions in pixels, but:

1. How to make a crop keeping the DIMENSIONS and PROPORTIONS of the original file? In Photoshop I use "Original size" and I can also make a crop of a very small portion of the image, but the result will have the same size and proportion of the original.
In Affinity I can not do it in any way! The crop does not maintain the dimensions I specified, it reduces the image.

2. How to maintain the proportions of the original?
In Photoshop using the shift key the crop keeps them, in Affinity I do not find this possibility, the crop is "free", it changes both the width and the height of the image arbitrarily.

crop-problem.jpg

The ‘Original Ratio’ option will (as its name suggests) maintain the original ratio, but you have to do the resizing as a separate step.

Alfred spacer.png

Hello,

@toltec and @αℓƒяє∂ have already described how it works.
The crop tool works correctly.
An example: the picture has 600 * 4000 pix and I want a section with the dimensions of 1500 * 1000 pix
this section fits exactly 16 times in the original picture, or in other words, the section is 16 times smaller.

sample calculation
6000 * 4000 = 24000000
1500 * 1000 = 1500000
24000000 / 1500000 = 16

or
6000 / 1500 = 4
4000 / 1000 =4

4*4=16

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

This is so much easier if you make an empty document to the exact size you want. Then place the image in it. You can then resize the placed image inside the document, which crops it to the document canvas as you resize the image bounding box.

No calculator required.

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

This is so much easier if you make an empty document to the exact size you want. Then place the image in it. You can then resize the placed image inside the document, which crops it to the document canvas as you resize the image bounding box.

No calculator required.

Yes, maybe there are more way to obtain this result.
The crop system of Photoshop is easy, fast, and visually controllable in real time.
In the same way the "proportional" crop. In photoshop it works, in Affinity no.

I'm trying Affinity to see if I can totally replace it in place of Photoshop, both as functions available, but also as "usability". And there are some things that still make me doubtful.

2 minutes ago, Raff said:

Yes, maybe there are more way to obtain this result.
The crop system of Photoshop is easy, fast, and visually controllable in real time.
In the same way the "proportional" crop. In photoshop it works, in Affinity no.

I'm trying Affinity to see if I can totally replace it in place of Photoshop, both as functions available, but also as "usability". And there are some things that still make me doubtful.

I know Serif are working on a new crop tool, which I think has that feature.

But for now, there are workarounds for everything (more I less) I ever did in 30 years of using Photoshop.

It might not be quite the same but using the "document cropping" method actually has huge advantages. You can set the exact size, output quality etc then steam your way through dozens of images, individually cropping each one. It is very fast. I know you could write a macro, but that does not allow you to treat each photo individually, which is no good to me.

I set a shortcut for place (Alt + P) then a shortcut for export (Alt + S) which makes it very productive. You can of course place and crop lots of images in the same document as they get placed in on separate layers.

1 minute ago, toltec said:

I know Serif are working on a new crop tool, which I think has that feature.

But for now, there are workarounds for everything (more I less) I ever did in 30 years of using Photoshop.

It might not be quite the same but using the "document cropping" method actually has huge advantages. You can set the exact size, output quality etc then steam your way through dozens of images, individually cropping each one. It is very fast. I know you could write a macro, but that does not allow you to treat each photo individually, which is no good to me.

I set a shortcut for place (Alt + P) then a shortcut for export (Alt + S) which makes it very productive. You can of course place and crop lots of images in the same document as they get placed in on separate layers.

Thank You, toltec, maybe could you describe a little your procedure? 
And it works for the "proportional" crops too?

I created a document 5 inches x 3 inches at 300 dpi.

dim.jpg.d58f168817862d0ec64a3879cf1a7fed.jpg

Went File > Place then placed the bird.

You can see from the blue box outside the canvas that that is the original size of the peacock image. It is being cropped by the document canvas, the proportions (aspect ratio) of the  image is not being changed at all. Although I could do that if I wanted

pea.jpg.8e4437f10445f11b8a38fc98cefd4aa8.jpg

When I export (File > Export), it is at 5 inches by 3 inches. (300 dpi in this case)

expo.jpg.1c291df1f097fbeac18fb4d31389c653.jpg

If I placed and exported 100 images, they would all be exactly the same size and resolution, no matter what size they were to start with.

If you wanted to crop lots of pictures at different sizes and different proportions, then it would not work so well as you would have to make a document for each one. But most photos are about the same proportions, because they have to fit on a page somewhere ? Maybe two or three types.

For that, the normal crop tool in Photo would be best. Just set the crop tool to original ratio

or.jpg.082d68dbf7b270f5a835493e06f96c88.jpg

but you can't set the size until you export. Then you can set the size it the export size box. It doesn't really matter if you set the size whilst cropping or exporting. It ends up the same.

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

I created a document 3 inches x 5 inches at 300 dpi.

dim.jpg.d58f168817862d0ec64a3879cf1a7fed.jpg

Went File > Place then placed the bird.

You can see from the blue box outside the canvas that that is the original size of the peacock image. It is being cropped by the document canvas, the proportions (aspect ratio) of the  image is not being changed at all. Although I could do that if I wanted

pea.jpg.8e4437f10445f11b8a38fc98cefd4aa8.jpg

When I export (File > Export), it is at 5 inches by 3 inches. (300 dpi in this case)

expo.jpg.1c291df1f097fbeac18fb4d31389c653.jpg

If I placed and exported 100 images, they would all be exactly the same size and resolution, no matter what size they were to start with.

If you wanted to crop lots of pictures at different sizes and different proportions, then it would not work so well as you would have to make a document for each one. But most photos are about the same proportions, because they have to fit on a page somewhere ? Maybe two or three types.

For that, the normal crop tool in Photo would be best. Just set the crop tool to original ratio but you can't set the size until you export. Then you can set the size it the size box. It doesn't really matter if you set the size whilst cropping or exporting. It ends up the same.

Thanks!  I'll try!"

2 hours ago, Raff said:

1. I don't want a SMALLER section, I want a crop with the SAME dimension of the original!

2. I wish to can make a proportional crop using the mouse or the tablet pen, not a calculator!

Crop-PS.jpg

Surely, if it has the same dimensions as the original, then it is not a crop but a copy!

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

Surely, if it has the same dimensions as the original, then it is not a crop but a copy!

Perhaps the term "crop" is not correct, but it is the operation I do with Photoshop.
And it's not a copy, because I cut a portion of the image and take it to its original size.
In practice it is a proportional magnification.

The DIMENSION is the original, not the final image.

2 minutes ago, Raff said:

Perhaps the term "crop" is not correct, but it is the operation I do with Photoshop.
And it's not a copy, because I cut a portion of the image and take it to its original size.
In practice it is a proportional magnification.

The DIMENSION is the original, not the final image.

Reading the other postings, these posters clearly have worked out what what you intended, even if I could not.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

24 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Reading the other postings, these posters clearly have worked out what what you intended, even if I could not.

John

The OP wants to do an ‘Original Ratio’ crop but with the cropped portion automatically resizing to the original dimensions, which Affinity Photo cannot currently do. For example, if you start with an image which is 600 by 400 pixels, you can crop it to 150 by 100 pixels (which maintains the desired 3:2 ratio) but you need to resize the cropped portion manually to get it back up to 600 by 400.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, owenr said:

You don't need a cropping tool for that. Here's a simple method where the canvas itself is a window onto the image and does the cropping:

1. open the image file - "Background" will be selected automatically
  2. activate Move Tool (click its icon in Tools Bar or press V)
  3. unlock "Background" (click its padlock icon in Layers panel or press a shortcut key that you've assigned to Layer > Unlock)
  4. drag a corner of "Background" to resize proportionally
  5. drag from anywhere inside "Background" to slide it around
  6. export or save

Thanks to you too, owenr. This is a simplified version of the system indicated by Toltec, working directly on the image without importing it into a new file.

I thought that I understood what the OP wanted, and it seemed to be what αℓƒяє∂ described, which is both a crop to a smaller size and then a resize larger.

However, I don't understand how either toltec's approach or owenr's approach accomplish that.

As far as I can see, both of those approaches end up with an image that is smaller than the original, i.e., cropped in the sense that Affinity Photo can do it today. The OP seems to want to take, e.g., a 5x7 photo, extract a 4x6 section of it, but have it end up 5x7 again. How do either of those approaches accomplish that? They both end up with something smaller than the original as I understand them. What am I missing?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1