You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to name pressure profiles?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

As a suggestion this would be a good feature to add. The particular benefit would be for technical illustrators to choose a particular weight of line. I was going to create an example to attach but when I went back to select one of the saved pressure profiles they weren't there and I didn't bother saving the file they were created with. So I did it again and saved the file only to find that on creating a few drawing the pressure profiles were not there.

Do these profiles only exist in the files they were created in rather than as a permanent part of the studio?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

You are correct jackamus! The profiles only save on a per project basis. I wish they would save to the application like a brush or something. 

No, not possible. You can only recognise them from the preview below the pressure control box when you save them.

Quote from Ronnie McBride that I agree with.

'You are correct jackamus! The profiles only save on a per project basis. I wish they would save to the application like a brush or something.'

This would seem to be  a logical feature to have in view of saving brush profiles.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 3 years later...

I was about to respond to this using my 'Styles' pallet when I noticed that they had all changed from the 'shapes' I had saved them into Pussycats!!!!!

How the hell did that happen?

I'm going to try and restore my original styles from reloading a back-up file.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The back-up file still has the Pussycat styles.

Help! Why did this happen and how do I get back to my original styles?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, Lynn said:

It's Friday the 13th! The cats are programmed to play today!

They will be gone tomorrow.

But they’ll be back again in three months’ time! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't think I like this!!!

The cats have gone but I'm I don't think I like Affinity messing with my AD settings without my knowledge!

To me this is a serious matter! I really do hope that it will not happen again.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Having vented my spleen about the cats I'll go back to the original comment I was going to make about pen pressure.

I make full use of the Stroke Pressure and dotted feature to set varying stroke effects.

Before I send a file to demonstrate this will my file also carry over the Style pallet that I used? If not how can I do this so that you will see what I have done?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

I don't think I like this!!!

The cats have gone but I'm I don't think I like Affinity messing with my AD settings without my knowledge!

They have not messed with any of your settings:

• There is zero difference in the behavior or function of the Styles panel regardless of the shape of the style icons in it.

• There is no user setting that allows you to choose the shape of the icons.

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

I really do hope that it will not happen again.

It will happen every Friday the thirteenth. It is just an "Easter egg."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I realise that it doesn't change the function, It is just that I strongly object to the developers 'playing' around with my AD and the look that I have given it. There is really no need for this kind of practical joke.

When I first saw these cats I tried everything I knew to discover how I could have done this! I closed down AD in the hope that the cats would go away and then I resorted to re-loading an older file from my backup drive also to no avail.

Come-on lads lets stop playing games with AD. If anyone agrees with me lets have a show of hands.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Just now, jackamus said:

I realise that it doesn't change the function, It is just that I strongly object to the developers 'playing' around with my AD and the look that I have given it.

You have not given the cog shape 'look' to the Styles panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Are you saying I can choose different looks in the Styles panel? Cogs or Cats?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Are you saying I can choose different looks in the Styles panel? Cogs or Cats?

No, just the opposite. You can not choose the shape used to display the styles in the Styles panel. There is no user setting for that -- only the code of the app can do that. Therefore, regardless of the shape used, they have not messed with any of your settings.

Affinity Photo 

I understand this but they have arbitrarily 'messed' with their own settings that serves no good purpose and only confuses people like myself.  From what you say the Styles 'look' has been programmed into AD. As far as I'm concerned this was a bad move and I think it should be removed on the next available AD update.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

9 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I understand this but they have arbitrarily 'messed' with their own settings ...

It is their app & their settings to 'mess with' as they please. This Easter egg has been in the apps (both Designer & Photo) since the early versions, as has the Cat Tool & the Cat unit. There was even an Affinity Cat completion in 2014 (Google "#AffinityCat") for the best Cat shape.

This is nothing new.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

It is their app & their settings to 'mess with' as they please. This Easter egg has been in the apps (both Designer & Photo) since the early versions, as has the Cat Tool & the Cat unit. There was even an Affinity Cat completion in 2014 (Google "#AffinityCat") for the best Cat shape.

This is nothing new.

But why inflict users with such a useless variable feature. Just because its always been like this is not a very good argument. Maybe its time to think outside the box!

Considering how complex computers are and how easily they can 'lose' it why add to the problem.

I don't really think that Serif can have a 'rational' explanation for this cat thing. Everything else in AD etc has a defined useable purpose. What purpose does this cat thing have?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

But why inflict users with such a useless variable feature.

The point is that the feature isn’t variable! Every Friday the 13th the shape is invariably a ‘Cat’, and every other day it’s invariably a ‘Cog’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I know that! What I am asking is why? What is the rational reason for the inclusion of the cats thing?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Well, I had fun on Caturday.

CatShapeDay.jpg.229ce307d235da1bdb90af86107d141f.jpg

But back to the pressure profiles.

LineStyles.thumb.jpg.bf121937963d522cefb69523560bf2bc.jpg

Some that I've turned to styles. They can be assets also, but the illustrations are even harder to recognize. For something like this, a simple circle might be better as the default illustration.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Well, I had fun on Caturday.

CatShapeDay.jpg.229ce307d235da1bdb90af86107d141f.jpg

But back to the pressure profiles.

LineStyles.thumb.jpg.bf121937963d522cefb69523560bf2bc.jpg

Some that I've turned to styles. They can be assets also, but the illustrations are even harder to recognize. For something like this, a simple circle might be better as the default illustration.

I would be intersted in how you got a white background to the Styles tab? The dark grey pallet backgrounds have always been a problem for me.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 minute ago, jackamus said:

I know that! What I am asking is why? What is the rational reason for the inclusion of the cats thing?

The reason for the Friday the 13th Easter egg is the developers have a well developed if maybe a bit quirky sense of humor. That & the normally hidden Cat Tool have been the subject of several topics, & most people who have discovered these Easter eggs seem delighted to find them. See for example:

Serifers and their cats!

Where is the Cat tool?

Shapes Easter Egg

There are also help topics in both apps for the Cat Tool, several third party You Tube videos that feature the Affinity Cat, & the Twitter hashtag stuff.

Affinity Photo