Dear Affinity,

I am new to Affinity Photo. I am trying to learn the Affinity equivalents since I left Photoshop. That is not always easy. I would like for flip a selection( that part of the image), not the selection borders. I can flip the whole image, but I can't figure out how to flip just the part I select. Can you help, Thanks.

I could not figure it out either but you can get around it by cutting the selection, pasting it (creates new layer) and flipping that layer.

Seems that basic operations are often hard to do in AP, maybe developers concentrate too much in advanced features..

EDIT The following procedure flips the whole layer …

• Create your pixel selection.
  • Select the Move Tool (shortcut V). A bounding box around your selection will appear.
  • Ctrl + click (or right click) inside the bounding box, and choose Transform > Flip Horizontal (or Vertical) from the context menu.

Thanks Fixx …  :(

What I posted is no longer relevant and this should be deleted...

would have deleted it myself but couldn't find an option for that

Edited by eclipse
comment was no longer relevant as there are better ways

(Raises hand):  I know!  I know!

I discovered this one by accident, since I couldn't figure out how to flip a pasted item and couldn't find anything in Affinity Photo Help on the topic.  When I did it, I felt a sense of wonder and a childlike glee -- everything should be this simple.  To flip horizontally, grab the right side of the bounding box and DRAG IT OVER THE LEFT BOUNDARY!  The image will reverse!!!  To do it vertically, grab the bottom and drag it over the top!

--Cyranose

19 hours ago, Cyranose said:

DRAG IT OVER THE LEFT BOUNDARY! 

This would work otherwise nicely but there should be a way to reliably constrain flipping to original width and/or height. CorelDRAW does this similarly for vector objects and allows constraining but I tried all snapping settings available but could not achieve snapping to original size, or e.g. based on the underlying clipping transparency.

UPDATE: Just checked this, Corel PHOTO-PAINT does this for bitmaps, as well. 

Hi guys, so it looks like this operation can be done after all, but I think I caught a bug (unless I'm missing something.) On this page, there is a section that says, "Moving and transforming a selection only." It looks like the method that is supposed to work is by toggling a quick mask, but when using the Move Tool, it is the mask that gets moved; not the selection.

Am I reading this correctly? It says that it will move the selection.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Selections/selections_transform.html?title=Moving and transforming pixel selections

Lagarto, Bri-Toon,

I'm afraid I can't help with either of those questions.  Those options would indeed be nice to have, though.  Perhaps someone at Affinity is listening?  (Hint, hint.)

18 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Am I reading this correctly?

Well, I do not know using quick mask can make situation different. I do not understand what that mean.

Affinity should make transform operations apply to selection when there is selection applied to pixel layer. Making it apply only to whole layer feels a mistake.

Meanwhile, you can happily make a new layer from your selection (Cmd-J) and flip that. And merge it back if needed.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:44 AM, Fixx said:

Meanwhile, you can happily make a new layer from your selection (Cmd-J) and flip that. And merge it back if needed.

And that is possibly the best solution. I just wasn't sure if that page mentioned something we didn't know about yet.

Just make your selection, crl + j to put it on a new layer, go to the move tool (v), right click on the selection area, transform -> flip horizontal. Crl + d, then select the new layer and the old layer (hold crl to select more than one) and then crl + shift + e to merge them. This is how I used to do it in Photoshop, I never felt the need for a "flip selection" option. Maybe there was a tool to do this back when I used Photoshop, I just never looked for one.

Oh, and if you don't want the flip to go outside your original selection constraints,do crl + j twice, deselect (crl + d), flip the second duplicate layer, crl + left mouse click on the first duplicate layer's thumbnail, select the second duplicate layer, click the mask button, delete the first duplicate layer, and then merge the second duplicate layer with the original layer with crl + shift + e.

I know this sounds complicated in writing, but, at least to me, it feels pretty natural when i'm doing it in the program, and it takes me maybe 2-5 seconds to do each time. Don't memorize your steps, just understand what each of the steps do any it'll come naturally. If I had to do this constantly then maybe i'd be wanting a specific tool for this, but i've never felt the need.