You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The delete key don't working

Marko_mx

Hello!

I installed the latest beta version on Mac OS Desktop, and I have noticed that when creating objects like lines and basic geometric shapes, trying to delete them with the delete key does not respond, but the insert key does respond. The behavior is strange.

Best regards

Marko

@__monoko_

This seems to be a duplicate of your somewhat earlier post, which has answers.

Probably should continue the conversation there....

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, tudor said:

I just upgraded to v2.2.0 and noticed that the delete key doesn't work. Seems like this bug hasn't been fixed: "Some shortcuts are broken when upgrading from 2.1.1 to 2.2 with modified shortcuts" (REF: PD-935).

The quick fix was to reset my keyboard shortcuts to Serif Defaults.

Version 2.1.1 didn't actually have the Delete key assigned as a shortcut for Edit > Delete. If you upgraded from a previous version the shortcut was there but if you used the Serif Defaults button or Apple Defaults button on macOS, and presumably also the Reset button on Windows, the Delete shortcut was, um, deleted.

Installing a new version doesn't typically change your existing shortcuts, except for the rare addition of a new shortcut, so installing 2.2.0 might not add the Delete key as a shortcut for Delete if you had previously deleted it by clicking Serif Defaults/Reset.

So is this a bug? From your perspective it probably is but I think the issue is just fixed, although you might have to use Serif Defaults/Reset or manually restore your shortcut.

For others with this issue: If the Delete shortcut is okay and you're not having any other problems with your shortcuts, especially the text input shortcuts, then just manually add the Delete shortcut instead of resorting to Serif Defaults/Reset.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

33 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Version 2.1.1 didn't actually have the Delete key assigned as a shortcut for Edit > Delete.

My mistake, I should clarify that I was talking about the Backspace key on a Mac. After upgrading to 2.2 I could not delete anything with Backspace. Prior to the update I had a couple of custom keyboard shortcuts, so as the bug report says (PD-935), "some shortcuts are broken when upgrading from 2.1.1 to 2.2". I believe that's what happened on my computer.

Resetting the shortcuts to Serif Defaults restored the Backspace key functionality. Objects are now successfully deleted using either the Backspace key or the Delete key.

I thought that's what you meant and I think we're likely talking about the same key. I referred to it as Delete because the backspace key is named Delete on Mac keyboards while the delete key is named Forward Delete.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

I just upgraded to v2.2 and the delete key action is definitely not working (and not fixed). Having to reset all of my shortcuts sounds like a frustrating solution. I'd prefer not to have to redo all of my shortcuts. But I've not seen any other approach mentioned to fix it. :(

Update: It seems you can just reset the shortcut: 

Edited by HYR
To note a different solution

There's no need to click Clear All Shortcuts.

You can resolve the problem by restoring the default shortcuts. On macOS, choose Affinity Publisher/Designer/Photo 2 > Settings, click Shortcuts, and then click Serif Defaults. On Windows, choose Edit > Preferences, click Shortcuts, and then click Reset.

But to fix just this one shortcut without resetting all your shortcuts, change the shortcut for Edit > Delete to the Delete key.

After installing 2.2.0 the backspace delete key stopped working for me, had to reset as mentioned in earlier posts.

The backspace key has been used as a Delete key since I started using Macs back in 1993 in every single application. It should be baked into Affinity products and not have to be set as a keyboard shortcut.

He never fails to achieve new heights in being stupid...

Same “disappointment” on my Mac Mini M1 (macOS Ventura).

But, with an extended Apple keyboard, you can delete a selection with the “Forward Delete” key or by pressing the “fn” + “Delete” keys. On the other hand, in a text cell, the same command “fn” + “Delete” deletes the character on the right (like the “Forward Delete” key does): it’s impossible to understand!...

Finally, shouldn't it also have been necessary to add to the context menu, after the three commands “Cut”, “Copy” and “Paste”, the “Delete” action?...

Certain choices of the Serif editor will always leave me a little perplexed, but hey!... ;-)

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4

I can confirm that none of my computers can't delete objects with backspace/delete key.

I had to click "Apple defaults" on the shortcuts settings and then manually assign the key to the delete action (It didn't worked by only assigning it). Also doing it this way I didn't loose my custom shortcuts.

This is not right. Backspace is universally used as delete key on mac everywhere, and it has been default behaviour on Affinity apps since the first 1.0 version with no need to do all of this. At least there is a solution, although an inconvenient one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "(After upgrading) Backspace is not functional until assigned on Mac" (REF: AF-287) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.1.2052".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.