You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Granddaddy said:

Isaac Asimov's 1958 story "The Feeling of Power" in which one man discovers graphitics

Thank you for the reference. I read it and enjoyed that story.

"The Machine Stops" premise seems very interesting as well. Will check it out further when I have time.

One could take the view that we ourselves are robots, albeit biological in nature, we exist and act upon the world based on input, we are born blank, it is the life experience that shapes us, the input of data from other bio-robots (programming) the impact of interactions from other bio-robots and how well managed we are within our designated environment. Some of us have Celeron processors, while others have Xeon processors, the analogy is uncanny but maybe the way computers/robots are made and think is because it's how we think, computers and robots are made in our image so to speak.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Well, here's an example of something that feels strange and unnatural, at least for me.

I tend to look one two times the day through the daily news, in order to see what happens in the world. On the main german online news site they also have a section called "Pictures of the day" which is a sort of image gallery with image things and themes from around the world. - Today I stumbled there about a picture with the subtitle ...

A wild elephant stands together with cows at a garbage dump in Ampara (Sri Lanka) and looks for food. Sri Lanka will launch a nationwide plastic waste cleanup before new laws ban the sale of single-use plastic, the environment ministry said after a number of elephants and deer died in the island's northeast while looking for food at open dumps full of plastic waste.

... which immediately caught my attention as it looked somehow unnatural (faked) for a real camera shot ...

muelldeponie.jpg.bd6a39f15001b6ff73bfeda4f4aaf5f1.jpg

Here's that image alone:

tiere-muelldeponie-100.jpg.862cd98482864d62e1a5cc212fc7e397.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this image was generated by some of the latest common AI engines, instead of being hand crafted in PS/APh.

What I wonder overall is, that even state based News services nowadays don't indicate somewhere, that some image was artificially created using an AI here! - BTW, I could have made a better, more realistic looking one in APh here. Also I would have then included deers instead of cows, true to the context. 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

That image is from AFP, Agence France-Presse, Ishara S. Kodikara.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1665954542071201792/photo/3

German state media  isn´t the best in fact checking but If its´s an generated image, AFP and the Photographer would be in trouble.
AFP is like DPA or Reuters.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

1 hour ago, myclay said:

German state media  isn´t the best in fact checking but If its´s an generated image, AFP and the Photographer would be in trouble.
AFP is like DPA or Reuters.

They tell under their image rights section where the images are from ...

bildrechte.jpg.0dc2414cd1996561f3dcc64af6734236.jpg

... though if you zoom in to some higher degree on that image it looks more like the cows having been afterwards placed in ...

manipulated.jpg.5c168d2d96c9de9dfd769d7345b6cf11.jpg

bildrechte2.jpg.6f82c03ecd3eb88d48a1eeda0b8ee640.jpg

... for me.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Might be a task for some forensic checking. ;)
https://29a.ch/photo-forensics/#error-level-analysis
Drag and drop the image into the site, its locally edited in your browser.

The sunlight colour seems convincing? The cows are a domestic cattle breed so if this was AI generated, at least some tiny amount of thought went in...
Anyhow if its true that its AI generated(need more convincing proof for that claim), AFP could still lose its entire reputation.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Ai-art is funny yes, and you can do a lot with it, but.... yes there is always a but in case, you need to see it as a tool for inspiration and maby some items you can use in you own design,art, composition.  There will always need for the human to edit, thats the way I use it. Without AP it will be shit. ;)

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

I had a play with "creating" some "art" on an AI website. I thought Mr Disney wouldn't mind if I "borrowed" an image of Mickey Mouse. I ended up with an "original" image, still recognisable as Mickey Mouse, but with six fingers on one hand and a third ear in the middle of his head. Amazing! I can't wait for Affinity to add this wonderful functionality! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 5/24/2023 at 7:20 AM, Lee_T said:

Hi WMax70,

There are no plans for this at present.

Lee

Affinity software will begin to show how far behind it is getting this year. Apple's new vision pro AR headset is just an example of the world we are headed towards and will Affinity still be around? 

22 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

Affinity software will begin to show how far behind it is getting this year. Apple's new vision pro AR headset is just an example of the world we are headed towards and will Affinity still be around? 

AR capability will eventually be a 'must have' feature for some & an "I don't need or want it' one for others. I think the same will continue to be true for AI-powered features in apps like the Affinity ones for years to come.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AR capability will eventually be a 'must have' feature for some & an "I don't need or want it' one for others. I think the same will continue to be true for AI-powered features in apps like the Affinity ones for years to come.

It's already a fake world so additional fakery (Ai) is just going to give the existing fakery that wow factor and nothing will stop it nay sayers be damned, BladeRunner here we come. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

It's already a fake world so additional fakery (Ai) is just going to give the existing fakery that wow factor and nothing will stop it nay sayers be damned, BladeRunner here we come. 

We are not all lemmings. Some will reject fakery & those who use it, some will not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

We are not all lemmings. Some will reject fakery & those who use it, some will not.

Yup I'm in the not lemmings camp, just like I was with Convid but Ai may have a place but at the moment they are pushing the hell out of it, bet the soon to be Ai billioniares are rubbing their hands with glee at all the Ai gimps.

AI is a remarkable code that has been around even before its current popularity. It leverages and rearranges existing information to produce extraordinary outcomes, serving as a valuable tool for our requirements. The truth is straightforward: if you believe AI can replace you as a data entry employee, it suggests you were a problem solver rather than a true professional. True professionals will continue to thrive because they possess skills and abilities that AI cannot replicate. If a task doesn't require human intervention, it was merely a trivial undertaking rather than a substantial job. AI will streamline and eliminate areas where we previously benefited economically but lacked genuine employment opportunities. Some companies are now able to save significant amounts of money by leveraging AI, rendering certain positions obsolete, which is ultimately positive. Individuals no longer needed for tasks that AI can handle can transition to meaningful jobs that require uniquely human capabilities. It's crucial for all of us to acknowledge this reality; otherwise, we may find ourselves despondent while others succeed.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

Have you tried the chatgbt? You are aware that one of the creators of the recent AI, Musk,(X.AI), states that he is very concerned. The AI technology falling into the hands of the wrong people, (think current US mess), will have devastating consequences on the population. AI already has the ability to do things we wished it never would. AI can out think, come up with solutions, before a human can begin to process the problem.

Yes AI for creative art is nice, but that's not what it was developed for. If you think it was you're very naive. Just like most all social media used today, FB, Twitter, Google, ect, were all created and developed by D.A.R.P.A. Why would they have any interest in social media platforms? 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Well, even AI is actually everywhere too much overhyped, I can still see some useful usages of it for managing certain boring and always very time consuming IT related tasks. - BTW, when salespeople in IT shops tried to sell me some oh-so-great hardware or software, my first question was always "can it make coffee and wash the car too"?

However personally I'am, as I've already said in some other related theme thread, a big fan of J.A.R.V.I.S. (Just A Rather Very Intelligent System) which later has been replaced by F.R.I.D.A.Y.  (Female Replacement Intelligent Digital Assistant Youth) as an personal assistant. Though I usually don't want have to wear always a helmet or ski goggles, in order to communicate with my assistant and let interesting things and possible solutions shown to me.  😉

AI has implementation and technology wise evolved over time, especially also how or in which context it's used, it depends entirely on human beings here. An AI itself is usually emotionless and has no ethic, so doesn't know right out of the box itself directly what is good or bad, right or false. Therefore, AI of course can also be abused by human beings. - Finally it all depends on how human beings do train and use AI systems overall here and as human beings also tend to do a bunch of mistakes (ethical and more general), AI systems can then do too.

40 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Though I usually don't want have to wear always a helmet or ski goggles, in order to communicate with my assistant and let interesting things and possible solutions shown to me.

Recently, I devoted half an hour to trying out a pair of 'ski goggles.' Once you have the opportunity to experience it (which I hope you do next year), you will comprehend why individuals willingly overlook the weighty apparatus attached to their faces. It undeniably feels burdensome and peculiar, but here's the crucial point: you'll find yourself yearning to remain in that state indefinitely.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

3 hours ago, albertkinng said:

It undeniably feels burdensome and peculiar, but here's the crucial point: you'll find yourself yearning to remain in that state indefinitely.

So basically, you are saying it has all the hallmarks of an addiction?

Anyway, regarding Apple's AR device, most who have tried Apple's demo of it agree that the technology that powers it is groundbreaking & amazing, but there are many expressing concerns about its touted advantages over more conventional devices, the need for customized parts to get a comfortable fit, the limited portability & battery life vs. other devices like iPhones & iPads, & various other issues that might come to light once the actual product comes to market.

Reactions among industry heavyweights range from 'it will change the world' to 'Apple jumped the shark with this one.'

As for its relevance to this topic, I think it will be similar in that some people will consider the availability of AI/AR/VR features to be a major factor in what they are willing to purchase, & some won't.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, albertkinng said:

... Once you have the opportunity to experience it (which I hope you do next year) ...

For sure I will give it some tryouts in order to see, if it offers some of the visual fascination I'm personally after here. Even knowing that they are still at their beginnings with it, some of the WWDC dev track sneak peeks are already slightly showing where the future will tend to go to here.

Personally, I like the idea of having some giant virtual room-filling coding screens and then doing some pairprogramming along with an improved and learnable Siri-like interface (or even better something similar to J.A.R.V.I.S.). - It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Angry tongues will now say "...the boy just watches too many science fiction films". 😉

25 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

For sure I will give it some tryouts in order to see, if it offers some of the visual fascination I'm personally after here.

Keep in mind that for Apple's device it is unclear if tryouts will be permitted or how they will work, in part because it uses a custom fitted insert between the goggles part & the face, & since there is no room for glasses if the user needs them, custom lenses (or some such) must be fitted into the interior of the device.

So far, it seems that buyers must either go to an Apple store or possibly use a latest generation iPhone to map the face for the inserts, but for eyeglass wearers it still remains to be seen how that will work.

Regardless, this does not seem to be a device that can simply & easily be used by more than one person, but time will tell....

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Keep in mind that for Apple's device it is unclear if tryouts will be permitted or how they will work, in part because it uses a custom fitted insert between the goggles part & the face, & since there is no room for glasses if the user needs them ...

That's of no problem in my case here in terms of glasses. Also, nobody normally buys such a 3.5K-4K device without ever having tried one, or seen it in person, at least not me!

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So far, it seems that buyers must either go to an Apple store or possibly use a latest generation iPhone to map the face for the inserts, but for eyeglass wearers it still remains to be seen how that will work.

For the use cases I have in mind, there is no need to show my face to somebody else at all, so keeping myself then to be more ... anonymous2.jpg.cba8504dc2d4c3d3c9216f806e13016d.jpg

Further Apple has still some time to polish things here overall operation wise and for those who wear glasses, until that product is really available on the market (maybe sometime next year).

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

For the use cases I have in mind, there is no need to show my face to somebody else at all, so keeping myself then to be more ...

It isn't just about that. Your face has to be scanned in 3D so a properly fitting insert can be created. It is definitely not a one size fits all device.

As for the glasses thing, they have already said custom inserts will be required, although supposedly they will be easy to remove or change out so others can use the same device.

Affinity Photo 

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It isn't just about that. Your face has to be scanned in 3D so a properly fitting insert can be created. It is definitely not a one size fits all device.

The device itself offers to do that, it will scan your face to create a 3D digital avatar for video calls and the like. - Though if an Apple store maybe offers to create a more accurate 3D scan of your face for the device, then people can take that too into account.

We will see then if there are maybe still some possible hurdles to take, when the devices will be in near future officially available and the first early adopters then do spread their opinions and reviews all over the net.