You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Asset panel reordering improvements

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: Windows and macOS

You can now re-order subcategories within the Asset Panel by drag and drop (as well as using the burger menu on the subcategory to move up and move down as before). Additionally a new option from the Asset Panel burger menu is available to quickly expand and collapse all sub categories in the panel.  Finally we have also fixed the frustrating behaviour of all subcategories expanding every time you reorder anything!

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a minor thing, but little tweaks like this overtime add up to time being saved and help to improve the feeling of the programs overall. Can't say enough how much it is appreciated.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

This post is not strictly about the Asset Panel Reordering but related to the Assets Panel.

What I find unintuitive (I know very subjective) is the fact that if I double-click any asset in the panel I don't get any visual feedback that the pointer tool changed into a loaded pointer. That feedback is only visible when you move the mouse outside of the assets panel. So one would keep double-clicking assets thinking that nothing is happening.

Secondly, I would expect (very subjective but present in other applications) that if I double-click an asset in the panel that asset would be immediately placed in the middle of the open document.

Edit: Also, it would be very helpful to have visual feedback in the form of an outline over each asset you mouse over.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

15 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Secondly, I would expect (very subjective but present in other applications) that if I double-click an asset in the panel that asset would be immediately placed in the middle of the open document.

But if that were to happen you'd need some other way to indicate you wanted to draw it out on the document so you could control its size and placement.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

you'd need some other way to indicate you wanted to draw it out on the document

Yes. Definitely. Maybe add it as another option when you option click the asset?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

21 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Yes. Definitely. Maybe add it as another option when you option click the asset?

Maybe. But that's not very discoverable. And without a separate tool for using Assets I'm not sure the Status Bar could help. Might need to be a panel option.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

This post is not strictly about the Asset Panel Reordering but related to the Assets Panel.

What I find unintuitive (I know very subjective) is the fact that if I double-click any asset in the panel I don't get any visual feedback that the pointer tool changed into a loaded pointer. That feedback is only visible when you move the mouse outside of the assets panel. So one would keep double-clicking assets thinking that nothing is happening.

The apps lack visual feedback in some areas. It adds to a snappy feel to have these little things added. (ie makes it feel more effortless). It's not a game-changer, but I've noticed this as well and I always do a double take and wonder if it didn't register. Specifically, because I'm often on tablet and so not sure if it registered double click or did a hold click. Just the nature of working on the tablet too quickly at times.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

On 2/17/2023 at 1:54 PM, walt.farrell said:

But if that were to happen you'd need some other way to indicate you wanted to draw it out on the document so you could control its size and placement.

Perhaps using the Place tool icon with a color variation to designate this double click functionality, just as the new vector flood fill tool icon borrows and modifies the raster flood fill tool… ?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

On 2/24/2023 at 6:15 AM, ronnyb said:

Perhaps using the Place tool icon with a color variation to designate this double click functionality, just as the new vector flood fill tool icon borrows and modifies the raster flood fill tool… ?

Thinking about it a bit more, the most appropriate solution to this would be to option double-click the asset to place it on the page/artboard.

That wold leave the current behaviour as is.