You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reply Notification, and then don't have Permission?

I think I know what happened, it is concerning.

I replied like others to a post by @Ali, concerning RAW file development. I was slow typing, so when if finally posted, I did notice that she had posted that no further replies are needed. I step away from my PC for a few minutes. When I return I see that I have a notification:

notification.jpg.346a79f4a8c0bc75ce303b69ee9a8101.jpg

However when I go to read the post, this is what I'm met with:

nopermission_notification.jpg.e52e4eb13878383458008b4d79a9ea9b.jpg

Why would anyone quote you in a post, then block you or delete it? That's rhetorical for the most part. Is it because the OP didn't like that the people replying didn't see it their way and only their way? Certainly seems so. That's ok, @Ali, if you don't want me replying, attempting to help you, I'll refrain from doing so.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Same for me. Unless something very stupid happened (duplicate post, mistake, error) it would be nice to keep threads when issue solved, to allow others to find them and learn. I lost access to my reply’s which I didn’t save anywhere else. 

Unnecessarily deleting posts will reduce my willingness to try to help this user.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

I can confirm the post being referred to has been hidden by the OP - hence the error you're seeing when trying to access the thread.

We do ask that even 'solved' threads remain on the forums, as they can be very useful resources for other members with similar questions.

However any user has the ability to hide/remove their posts from the Affinity Forums at any time if they so wish, as this is required under GDPR practices.

59 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm the post being referred to has been hidden by the OP - hence the error you're seeing when trying to access the thread.

We do ask that even 'solved' threads remain on the forums, as they can be very useful resources for other members with similar questions.

However any user has the ability to hide/remove their posts from the Affinity Forums at any time if they so wish, as this is required under GDPR practices.

Generally I have no issue with the thread hiding, however, like in this case, where the poster quotes someone and then hides it. What is someone to think, that they can not view the context of why, or how the poster is using the quote?

What makes more sense, is that even if the thread is hidden, those that participated should still be able to view it, not add to it, but at least view. Right now, I'm thinking that Ali is quoting me in an unfavorably way, thus me starting this thread to inquire.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

48 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Right now, I'm thinking that Ali is quoting me in an unfavorably way

If the OP quotes someone in an unfavourable way, and then immediately hides the thread, then only the moderators and the OP will be able to see that unfavourable quote and no-one else will be able to quote that unfavourable quote, so that shouldn’t be a problem, unless the OP reveals the thread later.

48 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

What makes more sense, is that even if the thread is hidden, those that participated should still be able to view it

Letting the people who have participated in a now-hidden thread continue to view it may bring up some privacy issues if there is any sensitive information in it which should not have been supplied in the first place – e.g. phone numbers, order numbers, bank details, etc.

I deleted the thread because NotMyFault had made it clear that there were already many threads on the same issue and that I should have searched for them.

Thanks to those of you who offered helpful suggestions. The thread is not needed as it is merely a duplicate of many others, apparently.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

4 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Unnecessarily deleting posts will reduce my willingness to try to help this user.

Not a problem.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Is it because the OP didn't like that the people replying didn't see it their way and only their way? Certainly seems so. That's ok, @Ali, if you don't want me replying,

Not the case.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, Ali said:

Not the case.

Fair enough 🙂. One of the pitfalls of web-boards and forums, perception.

1 minute ago, Ron P. said:

perception.

... or presumption. ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, Dan C said:

The problem is not a removed post but an entirely removed (hidden) thread. This way the OP is removing also posts of other users, which hardly is required under GDPR practices.

Also it might be useful when clicking the link in an email notification not to result in "You do not have permission to view this topic."
Even the slightly less misleading message "We could not find that topic." which appears if you alter the URL (removing the part related to a specific post).
I wonder if the software can get set to display an unambiguous message like "Unfortunately this thread has been set to invisible by the topics founder (OP)."

Here's another example which indeed causes confusion for those community members who already did response, or if any post of this thread was linked in another thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/152954-resize-road-labels-at-once/&do=findComment&comment=861278

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/152954-resize-road-labels-at-once/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 11/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ali said:

I deleted the thread because NotMyFault had made it clear that there were already many threads on the same issue and that I should have searched for them.

In particular if replies have already made clear a redundancy of your topic, then your reason for hiding the entire thread could also be a good reason not to hide it: Considering that the forum's search engine is not as perfect as perhaps expected (e.g. fuzzy), such a thread could be helpful for those who don't use the "right" keywords in their search, maybe because not knowing yet how to express their question precisely.

A slight aside (not applicable in this case) – But I do find the following scenario, which I have seen more than once, a bit odd/worrying:

Person A posts something which is then quoted by Person B.

Person A realises that their post contained information that should not have been made public.

Person A edits or deletes their post to remove such information.

The problem is that this information is still visible in Person B's quote of the original post!

Surely it would make sense for quotes from someone else's post to be automatically updated if they change it?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

11 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Surely it would make sense for quotes from someone else's post to be automatically updated if they change it?

It might seem logical, but I suspect that the only way of achieving that would be for the forum software to maintain links to every quoted post. This would then fall prey to a disgruntled forum member choosing to delete their post content on the way out the door, as has happened a few times: there are many threads which are rendered unreadable because of such vandalism, but several of the deleted posts are preserved through quoting.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

39 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Hardly. This way a post using the quote may get changed in its sense, not only if but in particular if a post got quoted to literally point to a used term, expression or sentence, e.g. as misunderstanding or confirmation. So, auto-changing a quote would require sophisticated AI to get also auto-correction for posts referring to the changed post. 🕵🏿‍♂️
And what would happen to custom formatting of the quote, as in the orange example?

44 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Shirley it would make sense for quotes from someone else's post ...

Don't call me Surely.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.