You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overlay Brush Issue

Hello @Danial S, welcome to the forums.

Can you please write more about the hardware you use (e. g. CPU, GPU). Do you use a cordless mouse? 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hi thanks for your reply, im using a Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 4800U with 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM. I am using a wireless mouse. This problem started only after i bought the software today. While using the free trial which ended yesterday, i did not have this issue.

57 minutes ago, Danial S said:

Hi thanks for your reply, im using a Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 4800U with 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM. I am using a wireless mouse. This problem started only after i bought the software today. While using the free trial which ended yesterday, i did not have this issue.

By entering the product key and the corresponding email address, only the status is changed from Trial to Retail. A serious change in the installation is not made.

You may not have noticed the input lag before.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

7 minutes ago, Komatös said:

By entering the product key and the corresponding email address, only the status is changed from Trial to Retail. A serious change in the installation is not made.

You may not have noticed the input lag before.

I did the same edit just yesterday on free trial and there were no problems. I have seen other post on this forum with the same issues but i cant seem to find a solution. The thread can be seen here: 

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I cannot play the video (for some reason) but, since Komatӧs mentioned input lag, have you checked the battery in your cordless mouse?

The issue is when i try to paint an overlay, the stroke starts from another point in the image. Ive seen other users on this forum with the same issues but with no solution. Using the touch pad on my laptop produces the same issue. This is the thread with users with the same issues

4 minutes ago, Danial S said:

The issue is when i try to paint an overlay, the stroke starts from another point in the image.

To me it sounds like a hardware acceleration problem. Turn it off it is not already turned off in Preferences > Performance.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Danial S  I'm just wondering if this problem is only with the overlay brush, or does it happen with other brushes as well?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Same behavior here with the Overlay Paint tool. It draws a line by itself, as soon as you begin to draw, A straight line is drawn by itself from a random point up to where you put the pen. It does that with mouse or tablet, hardware acceleration on or off.

It happens only when opening a RAW file in Develop persona. If I open a JPG file and go to the Develop persona there is no problem at all.

I remember that I saw that exact same behavior a few versions ago. As I don't use this feature much I can't say it this was fixed and came back.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

10 minutes ago, AlainP said:

It happens only when opening a RAW file in Develop personna. If I open a JPG file and go to the Develop persona there is no problem at all.

That's probably why I can't reproduce the problem! (I did have a similar problem with the Refine tool recently, but now I'm sure it must be unrelated to this problem, and doesn't relate to all brush type tools.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff

Thanks for your report @Danial S and welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm we've been able to replicate this issue here, it doesn't seem to affect all systems, so our developers are investigating further to try and determine the cause of this - thus far I've been able to reproduce this issue on Mac (Bug Sur) and Windows (10).

I'll be sure to 'bump' the development log regarding this issue for you now!

There is suddenly a serious problem with the overlay brush tool. Immediately on touching the image this occurs and there is no control of its occurrence. I unistalled and reinstalled AP, which is a pain because one has to change folders but the same occurred. There are also other recurrent problems that I reported earlier.

APhoto overlay brush fault.jpg

3 hours ago, ms.fuentecilla said:

This also happens in the new AP beta, so no escape

There is no new AP Beta. The current release is 2 versions newer than the last beta.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Ron pp: Then what did I download when invited to download the new Photo Beta update from Serif, which proceeded to amend the version reference? Also your second sentence makes little sense to me. Oh, yes, the new release version.

More importantly: There are no problems with the brush overlay if files are converted from raw to tiff. In tiff files it functions excellently. There seem to be quite a number of difficulties AP experiences with raw files.

All my images are considerably processed, as far as possible in their raw state when flexibility is maximised. Once in jpeg this is lost.

The last customer beta was 1.10.3.1188. That's older than the current retail version of 1.10.4.1198

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

35 minutes ago, ms.fuentecilla said:

Ron pp: Then what did I download when invited to download the new Photo Beta update from Serif,

Could you perhaps have downloaded the Mac version of the 1.10.5 beta?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

43 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Could you perhaps have downloaded the Mac version of the 1.10.5 beta?

Ms. Fuentecilla originally posted about the "new beta" on Friday at 4:28 PM (as times are shown to me in the forums), but the 1.10.5 beta was made available on Saturday, at 02:57 AM. So no, it's unlikely she was talking about 1.10.5.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have another minor issue with this overlay problem. It is that having uninstalled the original the current release version of Photo it was not possible to reinstall into the same folder, for some reason best known to Serif. It was necessary to make a new folder, Photo2, then change that to Photo having changed the original to Photo1 - good old windows methodology. As a result the Thumbnail ceased to be available in my W10 menu. Can this be remedied? And is there a better way of replacing? I have not experienced this when replacing other software.

Walt: Yes. I checked the Beta version via About, and it remains 1.10.3. What then puzzles me is why then the Beta, when started, wanted me to update with the same version I had just opened? W10 update problems perhaps?

Thank you for all the answers. Incidentally you are reading the ms.fuentecilla as Ms Fuentecilla and then assuming my gender is female. I don't take any exception to this since Ms was originally intended to cover both genders, but ...

• Staff

Hi all,

Apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm the issue with the Overlay Brush tool is a known issue which is logged with our developers.

We've made a tentative fix for this issue in the below macOS beta - 

Unfortunately the equivalent fix for Windows has not been released, but we're hoping this should be made available shortly.

I hope this clears things up :)