You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Plug-in Support

One of the plugins I miss from PS is ColorPerfect, used for colour correcting scans of colour negative film. I can place the plugin in the Affinity Photo plugins folder and have it recognised in the preferences pane (as 'Unknown' but I can check the use unknown box). Sadly Photo crashes when I try to open it. I asked the developer if I might expect the plugin to work with Affinity Photo in the future and got a rather bad-tempered reply:

Affinity Photo does not work with ColorPerfect, in that order ;-)
It is up to Serif Ltd. to fix their mediocre plug-in support, it can be done if they care to...
For ColorPerfect we use the Adobe Photoshop Plug-in API and it is up to other software makers to fully implement that or not. We will not adjust ColorPerfect to cope with some partial implementation of this or that software. Corel Paint Shop Pro would be another example of such a partial implementation. Folks keep requesting support for that but its the other way around. Corel would need to implement the missing aspects of the PS API for things to work.
The reason we won't change ColorPerfect is simple. If some software only partially supports the PS API and we try to circumvent non working parts the next thing we know something else will change or fail and we'll start all over again for some future version.
You're welcome to ask Serif Ltd, the authors of Affinity Photo, to implement the Adobe PS API as needed including what Adobe calls the Photoshop Registry, basically a mechanism that allows plug-ins to store data between subsequent calls. They can also get in touch with us if they please. We have not tested CP with their imaging software but users say it won't work. Be advised that even if it works at first glance the registration process might fail and if it would so would other things - so, in our view it's good for the registration to fail if it does.

Ouch! Rather regret asking the question. But, presumably, I was not the first to ask, and hence the frustration. I'm sure Serif has lots of things to do, and has done a pretty good job so far of rivaling Photoshop. Let us hope full plugin support is on the to-do list!

It is not a bad tempered reply! It is serious and detailed. 

It is a Photoshop plug-in for exactly Photoshop. Get Photoshop. It is really not expensive.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I also had a question regarding Plugins recently where a particular plugin apparently won’t work with Affinity Photo due to the plugin architecture not being currently supported. This issue of plugin support is becoming more of an issue as AP develops. I think we can only hope these restrictions will be addressed sooner rather than later so that AP’s usability can be expanded to utilise useful third party plugins. That said, current conditions ie pandemic are I’m sure slowing development down. I’m just hoping this issue is at the fore of their mind and not at the back.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, Raymondo said:

This issue of plugin support is becoming more of an issue as AP develops.

On the flip side of that, as Photo becomes more popular, I am starting to see more developers listing it explicitly as a supported host for their plugins.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:20 PM, Jowday said:

It is not a bad tempered reply! It is serious and detailed. 

It might not be bad tempered, but it is a very unprofessional way to refer to another company in a reply to a customer's legitimate enquiry.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:20 PM, Jowday said:

Get Photoshop. It is really not expensive.

It is to some people! 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 10/6/2020 at 2:20 PM, Jowday said:

I for one will not "subscribe" to software regardless of the price or function.

I might subscribe to something that is legitimately a service, such as a site hosting video content that gets added to frequently (Hulu, Netflix, etc.), to a utility (cell phone service, etc.), insurance or the like, but software categorically does not fit that model and should not be paid for that way.  Period, end of story.

Quark is doing something a bit different in that they are offering a subscription to an update service, in which the software is licensed perpetually but you effectively pre-pay to get all of the upgrades released over a period of time.  Something like that I am willing to accept as well within reason.

Adobe lost me as a potential customer when they dropped the option of a perpetual license.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:20 AM, Jowday said:

$120 for life, or $635 for the entire suite per year for life is pretty expensive; especially considering it's usually just one of many many monthly subscription services people 'need'. It all adds up to very expensive if a person isn't careful. However, if an individual simply doesn't care and just wants all the best software and options, then by all means drop as much money as needed to have all the goods.

2 minutes ago, 10C said:

$120 for life, or $635 for the entire suite per year for life is pretty expensive; especially considering it's usually just one of many many monthly subscription services people 'need'. It all adds up to very expensive if a person isn't careful. However, if an individual simply doesn't care and just wants all the best software and options, then by all means drop as much money as needed to have all the goods.

Not for professional software. Affinity is $120 of hobbyist software for life and eternal waiting for features, fixes and improvements. But that is for the entire suite. Lets talk about Photoshop.

Photoshop is $10 a month. Even as a young student working my ass of in a mall that was a fair and affordable price for someone actually needing it. In those days I couldn't AFFORD the retail price for Photoshop "for life" by the way. No one could but professionals and companies. That certainly changed.

Compared to just my pencils, thinners, paint and paper and refills / new pencils, paper and various accessories I have ... then $120 a year for a mature and VERY professional product (PS) aimed at professionals is very affordable. Expenses all adds up for a professional - but Photoshop or paint or whatever... it is just running expenses in my line of business. Adobe really is one of the smaller expenses and I get a LOT for my money. A whole IT-factory. Other software services out there are - in direct comparison - ridiculously expensive. Those are the ones I would personally focus on. Pure fat. Expenses I can often avoid entirely.'

Incomplete software with bugs, need for work-arounds or use of additional software to get the job done is in my experience the most counter-productive and expensive choice out there.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

And you're back again. I bought each and every version of PS from CS2 onwards. I was willing, and still would be, if I knew I was actually buying it. But I won't rent software, nor will I be told off by some little youngster like you. So go and get lost in your mall, and stop wasting your time (and 1400+ posts) on hating an excellent and cheap competitor to PS.

11 hours ago, drmoss_ca said:

And you're back again. I bought each and every version of PS from CS2 onwards. I was willing, and still would be, if I knew I was actually buying it. But I won't rent software, nor will I be told off by some little youngster like you. So go and get lost in your mall, and stop wasting your time (and 1400+ posts) on hating an excellent and cheap competitor to PS.

Same as you, Errka Petti. Same as you.

12 hours ago, Jowday said:

Not for professional software. Affinity is $120 of hobbyist software for life and eternal waiting for features, fixes and improvements. But that is for the entire suite. Lets talk about Photoshop.

Photoshop is $10 a month. Even as a young student working my ass of in a mall that was a fair and affordable price for someone actually needing it. In those days I couldn't AFFORD the retail price for Photoshop "for life" by the way. No one could but professionals and companies. That certainly changed.

Compared to just my pencils, thinners, paint and paper and refills / new pencils, paper and various accessories I have ... then $120 a year for a mature and VERY professional product (PS) aimed at professionals is very affordable. Expenses all adds up for a professional - but Photoshop or paint or whatever... it is just running expenses in my line of business. Adobe really is one of the smaller expenses and I get a LOT for my money. A whole IT-factory. Other software services out there are - in direct comparison - ridiculously expensive. Those are the ones I would personally focus on. Pure fat. Expenses I can often avoid entirely.'

Incomplete software with bugs, need for work-arounds or use of additional software to get the job done is in my experience the most counter-productive and expensive choice out there.

Jowday, you may leave good feedback regarding Affinity most of the time, but this comment to me is one of the reasons you can leave a bad impression on people from time to time. Photoshop is expensive. That price point sure may look cheap, but the cost of handing over your professional future of never being able to truly own anything you produce in the Adobe Suite is the exact reason that people have moved away from the company. We honestly don't care if you can afford it or not, since at this point it is not where the problem lies. It is the very concept of subscription only that some people will never consider Adobe as an option ever again. 

Besides, if Adobe is so affordable and you have so few complaints about their softwares, why are you even here? To me it seems like you are here because despite the flaws Affinity has, not having to pay that monthly fee was a compelling enough reason to keep coming here and write admittedly useful feedback. To me it looks like you do have a problem with Adobe's prices or you wouldn't have bothered with any of this in the first place. Or am I wrong in my assessment?