Printing with Publisher (and Designer) changes colours

Affinity seemingly sends RGB-Data to printers even from a CMYK document.

So all colors are converted just to sRGB and then to CMYK again. Everything becomes impure. Especially with colors within in the CMYK color space that aren't available within the small sRGB color space, this could get off.

Can you/I make it a choice, what gets sent to the print dialogue: RGB or CMYK?

When exporting a PDF/X1a and printing with Preview or Adobe Acrobat everything is OK.

(Attached image shows  the X1a-PDF from my printer which is very similar to a reference sheet (top) and the directly vie Publisher printed sheet from my printer (bottom) darker and less neutral)

IMG_E3398.thumb.JPG.a6edb6e57ca3b0bb4a294ace3ba1e20e.JPG

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

My home printer (or its driver, at least) expects RGB data. The driver then converts it to the appropriate set of colors (not CMYK, necessarily) when sending to the printer. My Epson photo printer, for example, has C, light C, M, light M, Y, light Y, and K. My other Epson printer has C, M, Y, K. Both expect me (or the application) to send RGB data.

So, for producing a document that I will print at home I must use an RGB color space.

I'm curious: what kind of printer do you have that expects or allows CMYK input?

Thanks.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

On 6/25/2019 at 3:50 AM, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious: what kind of printer do you have that expects or allows CMYK input?

it's a digital CMYK printing press - Xerox DocuColor 12 with Fiery XP12 RIP - quite old but very accurate in the ISOcoated v2 color space. It accepts every color space because I could load it on to the machine. converting the space is a loss though especially with everything besides photos. For example you don’t want 0 0 0 100 black 10 pt running text (body) to become e.g. 50 30 20 60. It gets rasterized and bold.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

as you have found exporting to PDF/x standards and printing that is the workflow for this occasion.

with open after export checked this seems like a reasonable solution since printing with preview works without a hassle

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 5:03 PM, fde101 said:

It looks unlikely that we will support printing directly in cmyk to printers

Not the right decision, considering these are 'pro' applications and a lot of print houses do actually run many internally produced jobs direct to film/plate/digi press from InDesign or Quark - This is the first bit of feedback I've come across from the Affinity team that have addressed these concerns which I've been harping on about for a few years - I just assumed pro applications would send a CMYK job to a CMYK printer with less issues than a consumer inkjet - I've had my Xerox Phaser 6180DN for around 13 years which produces pretty accurate CMYK output and was shocked at how bad the print quality was from Affinity apps, all pure cyan magenta and yellow colour bars ends up with a noticeable dot of other colours when output from affinity plus vector information looks like its pre rasterised before it hits the printers postscript RIP - whereas when outputting from any Adobe / Quark / even an old copy of Freehand on an old mac gives pure CMYK colour bars and nice crisp reproduction of vector information  - My biggest concern here is it's another reason to hang onto Acrobat pro 9 , so in order to have faith in my workflow I still have no option but to stick with El Capitan - I've freelanced at a few print houses over the years and have found it frustrating how you come across production macs, that in some cases, still run mac OS as far back as Leopard which is too old for Affinity apps, yet they have complete faith in their 'old' workflows ---- As I would now describe myself as a Affinity Fanboy, I really hope the team eventually roll out professional print output - I just feel this could be a push for all those print-shops to upgrade 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GBUgee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher 1.9.2 + Illustrator CS5 / VectorStyler mainly for Vector distortion workarounds + InDesign CS5 for multipage spread jobs with Slug + ImageVectoizer / Vectorize for raster to vector conversions

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, Johannes said:

with open after export checked this seems like a reasonable solution since printing with preview works without a hassle

Like Affinity, Preview can't print straight CMYK ?!?!?!?!?!? - Acrobat reader does and it's FREE it also retains Vector information on output rather than Affinity's feeble pre-rasterising - I really hope this changes in the future as it's an essential part of many workflows - just mind boggling that great software aimed at design and print professionals can't print a CMYK file to a CMYK rip or printer without first converting to RGB and rasterising then sending to a RIP to be rasterised and printed in CMYK - resulting in a total botched proof

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GBUgee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher 1.9.2 + Illustrator CS5 / VectorStyler mainly for Vector distortion workarounds + InDesign CS5 for multipage spread jobs with Slug + ImageVectoizer / Vectorize for raster to vector conversions

www.bingercreative.co.uk