Question: 
is Affinity working on a Lightroom replacement ?
So far, you've done such a great job, it would be a blessing if you could create a Lightroom version as well. The combination of archiving and editing has become very important to me as a professional and I often hear the same from my colleagues. Maybe you are already working on a development ? THAT would be great ! 

22 hours ago, maat said:

Question: 
is Affinity working on a Lightroom replacement ?
So far, you've done such a great job, it would be a blessing if you could create a Lightroom version as well. The combination of archiving and editing has become very important to me as a professional and I often hear the same from my colleagues. Maybe you are already working on a development ? THAT would be great ! 

Hi Maat,

Welcome to the forums :)

Its something we would like to do in the future but we don't have anything set in stone just yet.

Thanks

Callum

Hello,

I am wondering there are not more comments/requests for this project. Me as a professional photographer and photography teacher is really unlucky with the Lightroom situation now. I don’t want to spend $ and $ just to see, that Lightroom gets no real improvement since years. I still use LR 5.7 and hope a lot that Serif created some replacement to LR before my old version is not accepted by hardware or systemsoftware anymore.

Of course there are some so called alternatives for LR on the market, but all of them just concentrate on RAW developement and a lot of effects for spectacular images. But no one cares about the library function to organize and manage a hundred thousand photos or more. And for shure I know a lot of other photographers having the same problem. The Affinity apps are so well designed, have an amazing look and feel in UI and are running very fast even on 10 year old machines so I don’t want to miss them and would be extremly happy if I could throw LR in the bin because I got your "Affinity Organizer"!

Best wishes from Germany

Karl

On my Mac I’ve installed GraphicConverter, actual version 11, to replace Lightroom. Can be tested to any extend for free, just has a start-Up-Lag in the free use. Then it is a one-time purchase, if I remember somewhere in the 30€ range.

Works different than LR, has a lot of tools to import, organize and develop pictures. Many things can be applied in batch processes to a series of pics. You do one, and then let the SW apply the same modification to all you select. Writes a XMB-file for every modified picture, so you can non-destructively roll back what you do. And you are not bound to a catalog that will sort of lock you into the program. Everything is on the disk, legible in Finder. 

German developer, good support.

@Blende21: Thanks for your tipp! I've used GraphicConverter already about 30 years ago for format conversions but don’t use it anymore.  So I downloaded again the actual version and gave it a try. But by far it is not comparable with Lightroom when it comes to the management and organisation of 100.000 photos or more. It is just a file browser, not a database like LR. Also RAW development, retouching etc. is far behind LR and GC is extremly slow. I know, many poeple don’t know much about the huge capabilities of the Library module in LR but for me it is a unique tool I don’t want to miss. However, I would like to change from LR to a LR killer better today than tomorrow because of Adobes terrible pricing and marketing strategy.

As I said, there is no alternative to LR and it is getting more and more unbearable, because Adobe starts to limit the features of the Classic version more and more. It would be a blessing for me as a photographer as well as for the other colleagues that I know ... but also for the many private users that we photographers have so often recommended the program to. 

Please give us a Lightroom replacement. I would even pay 3x the price of Affinity Photo for it! Adobe likes to fck their customers, LR6 got the map support removed, LR5.7 never got tethering for the 7DII, it's damn slow, their support overall underwhelming - it's fcking Adobe! :37_disappointed:

+1, Agree!

On 6/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, maat said:

there is no alternative to LR

At least nothing with a same intuitive UI, indeed. For the time being you might take a look at 'Darktable' or 'DxO Optics Pro'.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

The day Serif announces an Affinity direct competitor to Lightroom is the day I’ll be willing to commit to whatever that product is. I’ve purchased every version of Lightroom up to and including 6, but I’m not buying into Adobe’s subscription model, so when macOS Catalina makes its way onto my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro, I’ll be purchasing VMware Fusion to run an instance of macOS Mojave, so that I can continue to use the software I’ve purchased outright… until something better comes along. 

I’d absolutely love for that “something better” to fit right into my Affinity suite.  

The more people here speak out for an alternative, the more my hope increases that Affinity hears our requests and calls and begins with an implementation!

I've been using Lightroom since the first version up to LR6. I've tried On1 Photo Raw 2019.5 but it's not a LR replacement, yet. The two key features that keep me from leaving LR is:

1. The export dialog with ease of selecting presets, but then i am able to quickly change a destination if needed. On1 doesn't start at the current selected directory so you have to re-navigate again to where you want to save to. It's these little things that make On1 frustrating to use.

2. Being able to right click on an image(s) and edit in external program like Photoshop Affinity Photo no matter what module you're in. like Library or Develop. In On1 you have to go back to Browse and then use the menu to select an external program, which brings up Windows browser. You then have to navigate to the editing program. Stupid. They should have preference settings for adding an external editing program like LR does. 

If On1 fixes these two things then i can easily move over. But it would be awesome if Affinity designs a LR replacement. I'd buy for sure :). I've already purchased all 3 programs of theirs.

Yeah, Adobe can eat $#!^ with their subscription.

A lot of those who are new to the Affinity suite of software may not realize that the request for an Affinity-brand of DAM (digital asset management) software, or at least a Lightroom-like alternative has been floated for a number of years now. The developers are listening. It IS coming, but no one is in a position to say when this will happen.

There is currently a very long thread on this forum about the need for a DAM produced by Serif. You can search for it and read through the various ideas presented by many users. It will also give you an idea of just how many different tastes there are to fulfill. 

I'd definitely love to see a Lightroom alternative in the Affinity Suite. I can pretty much guarantee I'll buy it the instant it's available.