You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection of objects with SHIFT

In Affinity DESIGNER, when marquee selecting an object that is above another, inevitably the object behind gets select too by the "touch" of the pointer. In INKSCAPE, whenever you presss SHIF and start a marquee, the "touch" of the pointer is not take in account and only what is surrounded by the marquee area gets selected. That simplifies the process of selecting objects when you're in a great zoom level so you don't need to zoom out to start the marquee in an empty area or click on each object separately.

Capture.JPG

It would be nice if this behavior could be swapped back and forth with a keyboard modifier, rather than having to go into Preferences.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your reply; I'm aware of the option "select object when intersects with selection marquee" in the preferences, which provokes the object to be immediately selected by the selection marque touch,  even if it's not fully encompassed. 

My point is that objects that are above others cannot be selected without selecting the object bellow if you use the marquee select; to prevent this scenario, you would have to use a "pick select" strategy, clicking in each object...... or start the marquee select on an empty area....which can be time consuming.

In the example bellow, if you start the marquee on the point "I" of the black dotted line, you would end up selecting only the green object. To select the brown ones, you would have to start the marquee in the point "I" of the red dotted line.

My suggestion is to implement the "SHIFT + marquee" (as in INKSCAPE), so you could start the marquee over any object, and the only ones that would be selected are the ones fully encompassed by the final marquee area.

Capture_2.JPG

36 minutes ago, baigow said:

Thanks for your reply; I'm aware of the option "select object when intersects with selection marquee" in the preferences, which provokes the object to be immediately selected by the selection marque touch,  even if it's not fully encompassed. 

It sounds as though you may have misunderstood the effect of that option. With the option switched off (as it is by default) you will only select objects which are fully selected by the marquee; with the object switched on you will select objects which intersect with the marquee, but you will also select any fully enclosed objects.

In the example [below], if you start the marquee on the point "I" of the black dotted line, you would end up selecting only the green object. To select the brown ones, you would have to start the marquee in the point "I" of the red dotted line.

With the ‘when intersects’ option switched off, either of the two marquees (red or black) will only select the two brown objects. With the ‘when intersects’ option switched on, either of the two marquees will Select all three objects.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred I don't think that you are correct (which is very unusual!)

Regardless of the marquee selection mode, holding shift and click dragging at the black I in the above example will immediately select the black rectangle and start to drag it across the canvas (constrained to 45 degrees).

2139347701_AffinityShiftDrag.gif.33d28109938c392477fbbdb4ec4c479e.gif

In Xara Designer (and according to the OP, Inkscape) the same action would not select the black rectangle, but would draw the marquee and only select the orange rectangle.

1404340908_XaraShiftDrag.gif.e419e6a3eff31d065a5f0a467eb1747d.gif

To put it another way, it is impossible within Affinity to start dragging a marquee selection on an existing object. The marquee must be started on the artboard / page / canvas / pasteboard.  The shift+drag ability in Xara & Inkscape is a very useful function for marquee selection when zoomed in, which doesn't require locking background objects.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

@Alfred I don't think that you are correct (which is very unusual!)

Regardless of the marquee selection mode, holding shift and click dragging at the black I in the above example will immediately select the black rectangle and start to drag it across the canvas (constrained to 45 degrees).

My bad. The mere act of clicking to establish a corner of the selection marquee is enough to select the object under the cursor, so the OP is quite right to point out that we need a way to override that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

This would be helpful!

Which would be?

It appears, from the post just before yours, that the function the OP asked for at the start of the topic already exists. Or, perhaps I've just become more confused than usual :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4