Adding my voice to this. I'd love to see both epub and mobi exports. I was really hoping that would be an option. I know InDesign had epub at least (possibly also mobi).

To be honest, InDesign doesn't have the best ePub workflow either. In order to make ePub export really useful, it would have the following features:

• Normally I create two separate files for cover and book contents. When creating an ePub I'd like to make a rectangular mask selection from the cover file to include as first page in the ePub file. The same for the back cover at the back of the book and optional cover flaps
  • Option: skip one or more cover pages. Also, some pages are intenionally blank (for example to start a chapter on the right page). These can also be removed.
  • Option: Page numbers and any other master text fields from the master spread can or cannot be included as text in a reflowable ePub
  • Option: Tables and anchored image captions can or cannot be embedded as picture (converted to bitmap)
  • Option: anything that looks like an URL can or cannot be converted to an actual hyperlink
  • Option: Rotate large graphics that were facing outward (from the spine) back to the text orientation
  • Option: Fill and update metadata from tagged text frames (like Title, Author, Copyright notice). All these fields are present in the print text

That last option would require text frames in Publisher to be taggable. This is not the case as of today.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:23 PM, Medical Officer Bones said:

Jutoh doesn't support fixed epub and only a tiny subset of epub 3. Instead of Jutoh, Sigil is comparable and completely free for flowing epub ebooks.

https://sigil-ebook.com/

Although I understand the technical reasons why the Publisher developers decided to forego html and epub export, the fact remains that without this option Publisher will be unable to compete with the current crop of DTP layout software.

... ...

Huh! Tried to have a download of a ePub creating app on sigil-ebook... instead it was asked a very complicated GitHub registration. I absolutly don't understand what to do with it. Doesn't look like any kind of app I could use... <8O(

1 hour ago, Castle Al said:

Huh! Tried to have a download of a ePub creating app on sigil-ebook... instead it was asked a very complicated GitHub registration. I absolutly don't understand what to do with it. Doesn't look like any kind of app I could use... <8O(

Shouldn't be any need to register. Just click on the Get link at the top of the page, which will get you a page with info you need to read before going to the Releases page to get the installers. If you're on Mac be sure to read the file that describes the installer format.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

no need to register as Walt said

and about "what to do" - it's not a clickety-click-mouse app, in brief:

- you open HTML with it

- you add CSS stylesheet

- you add pictures if any (cover at least)

and then you start to make an epub by adding CSS classes to paragraphs, divide chapters, insert graphics...

Calibre, as a Swiss army knife for all things ebook, including editing of epub and conversion to and from mobi, azw/3 or any other format you might want to read. Both solutions require some knowledge of html and css. In general I would follow the do one thing and do it well philosophy though.

One way to do it without much knowledge is to open another epub and use it as a template for whatever it is that you're working on.

Epub has been my #1 request from the start.  I would even be happy if they officially put out a roadmap with it on it.

My only comfort is that Patrick Connor said we will get it in a future release.

I was about to start learning Publisher having used InDesign for 10+ years but first looked for ePub export. 

Main and only reason for using Publisher is to produce ePub books for iBooks and Amazon etc. 

No ePub !!!!  Can't believe it. Please tell us you have it in the works. Then I will continue to learn the app - it looks very good. Otherwise I have to go back to InDesign. Can't wait forever.

Why has such a forward looking team missed the 4th wheel on their new car design?

28 minutes ago, Stuart Reid said:

Why has such a forward looking team missed the 4th wheel on their new car design?

I read the reasoning was they needed to draw the line somewhere to get the release out.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:39 PM, walt.farrell said:

Shouldn't be any need to register. Just click on the Get link at the top of the page, which will get you a page with info you need to read before going to the Releases page to get the installers. If you're on Mac be sure to read the file that describes the installer format.

Damit! I go on that page... but it is this kind of carry Linux type of bla-bla-bla :/ Where is the Sigil app/or installer to download on the page? :S
Clicking on Sigil-0.9.18 won't do it... And what are these other links

at the bottom ?
Is it impossible to find a nice installer to avoid a "normal" lambda user to get completely crazy?

@Castle Al You have to read the and decipher info on the main page you linked to get that the txz file is what you want. To the package maintainers, it's apparently more important to save a few MB at distribution time than to stick with standard delivery methods.

https://bmb.photos | https://vocallength.com | https://khonsuapp.com Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Mojave, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: X), Epson

Gosh! I believe I'm getting too old to find enough patience to run around fiddling for things... I'll better give up, and wait till a developer pools out a user friendly interfaced solution out of some magic hat.
Sorry for the bother... :$