Zebenelli

Technical Drawing with Affinity Designer

Hello,

up to now I was a Serif DRaw Plus X8 user and as a DIY carpenter I was very satisfied with it`s capability to create simple technical drawings and semi-automatic dimensioning with line, arrows a.s.o.. Currently I`m testing Affinity Designer and don`t find a similar tool for dimensioning. Maybe it is hidden somewhere in the toolboxes - I hope so ;-)  If Yes where can I find this feature.
Any help is appreciated

Zebenelli

Hi @Zebenelli

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm afraid we do not have a measuring tool in Affinity Designer. It's been asked before on the forums and we hope to get it implemented in future releases, but we have no ETA for this. 

moved to feature requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Id  put the cat among pigeons once again /re: fresh discussion about AFPublisher ))) - sorry, cant resists that.

and ask AF management team:

did you or do you consider compete also on other, neighbouring fields of graphics creation like CAD drawing and/or Sketchup?

Just asking, dont get mad ;-))

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

something like CADTOOLS  for illustrator would be fantastic.

A gargantuan "vertical purpose" plug-in piled on top of the most cluttered, scattered, and cumbersome Bezier drawing interface on the planet? No thank you.

I'm all for technical drawing support. That's my pet desire for Affinity Designer, too. But 2D drafting and axonometric drawing are not rocket science, and it's way past time to take them out of the conceptual confines of the mechanical engineering department (i.e., vertical market). There's no reason the full functionality needed can't be cleanly integrated into the standard feature set of a welcoming, unintimidating, elegantly designed  interface for mainstream general-purpose Bezier-based drawing without overtly screaming "Drafting Mode!" at the beginning user or the stylistically-versatile expert illustrator.

And that's more of what I hope (and suspect) the Affinity dev team has in mind.

JET

Hi 

This is somthing that id definatley be intrested in, as a former technical illustrator (isodraw) i would love to see some basic isometric drawing tool's implemented.

simple 2D shape extrusion for starters (im a new user on affinity so dont shoot me if its already in use)

(im a new user on affinity so dont shoot me if its already in use)

Not shooting you, but welcoming you as a fellow axonometric illustrator: Important enhancements relative to the subject have been previewed in the "sneak peek" thread for version 1.7.

JET