You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Technical Drawing with Affinity Designer

2 hours ago, MickJ said:

Thanks for the reply @v_kyr   I don't want all that cad stuff,  simple floor plans, garden plans and simple components will do me, draw to scale & print - I will be a happy boy. 

Try LibreOffice Draw and see if that offers what you need ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, AnaliseThis said:

v_kyr,

Sure there are programs for everything but why not have scale drawing in software that replaced software that had scale drawing capabilities.
DrawPlus could now arguable be called an inferior package because Serif have developed Affinity Designer, but Designer still lacks some of the basic features that were available in DrawPlus, like scale drawing and a dimension tool that displayed the length of a line when drawn from point A to point B.  All magic stuff missing from Designer.

DrawPlus was in many aspects superior and had/offered much more powerful functions, it only lacked some import/export functions and OS portability. - Designer will still have a long way to reach there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

As a design engineer in the sign Industry which requires a blend of the artistic and technical, CorelDraw has always been my go-to. With its built-in tools and additional macros available it is very robust and diverse software. However, with their move to an SAS model, I am hoping some competitor *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* would come along and offer similar functionality, but so far no one has managed it, or at least done it well. I keep my eyes out, which is why I purchased Affinity in the first place as I ran across it in my journey and it was inexpensive enough to keep it as a tool in the toolbox. I have come to despise the subscription model as I have found more downsides for the end user, than upsides, though they will all strongly argue this point, but I will support the companies that buck this trend as long as I can.