SF Charter Boat

How to START in Affinity?

11 posts in this topic

Bought the $45 book and it starts by saying " the projects in this book assume you have a working knowledge of the interface" and continues to the next page, (nine), Master the Core Skills headline and first sentence is " ...also assume you have mastered the core skills..." etc and refers to page 85. 

"assume, assume..." Please, do not assume, the who organized the book. Or make it clear it is not the book for which to get started.

This is illogical, frustrating and confusing to me. I would expect a crawl, walk, run sequence, but, no, the developers "assume" too blanking much to provide a one, two three approach. I am an absolute beginner in Affinity, Aperture was sent out to sea and I am still clinging to it.

Understood, there are many Affinity videos which get good reviews, but, again, the index of the topics listed as the first topic here show different places to start, thus my request, which I feel needs to be addressed by the organizers: Please show me the most basic introductory video, (since the book investment is wasted until I am up to speed), then the next, and the one following and let me skip the ones I may know. 

Is there not a numbering system for the videos when one starts? Then, later, I can certainly understand going into more depth with the various tools, but it seems that the folks are so well advanced that they do not understand or put much effort into the very basic beginning steps.

So, is there an index of sorts, a Start Here, then Next Step, etc. in the videos? Is there a Beginning I, II, III system or something which I can use as a basis for starting the tutorials?

Thanks,

Stuart

PS is there a way to see the Affinity users in my area to maybe contact them and get together to learn/teach?

Hi, SF Charter Boat,

The important term to notice is "projects." Before one starts following the how-tos of the projects, on must read and understand the 2 chapters, UI and core skills. Its not illogical. But it does suppose one knows the book is a series of practical exercises.

A sentence like "This book presents a series of practical examples of the softwares use and capabilities. You will need to have read the chapters on user interface and core skills before following the examples." The knowledge of these items is a general prerequisite of any software use.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Bonsoir.

Vous avez des tutoriels ici:

Maybe a good idea for you, they are classified, start with the simplest.

An excellent way to discover and progress.

but in any case, there's an investment staff.

Yours sincerely.

I found the tutorials on this site very useful to me. Recommended.

Also the help given by forum members has been very helpful :)

If you need some help, just ask.

Hi SF Charter Boat,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's also a Beginners series in the Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials thread that you may want to take a look as a complement.

Here's the videos from the Beginners series.

Beginners Series

19 hours ago, SF Charter Boat said:

" the projects in this book assume you have a working knowledge of the interface"

Hello Stuart,
and this is described up to page 83. (Program interface, modules and tools)
I think the book has a logical concept, even my wife works with Affinity Photo,
since we have the workbook. She would never have done that without this book :D;)

Affinity Photo is not the first program of its kind.
There are photo editing programs, as long as there are digital cameras.
and all programs work on a similar principle and similar tools.
Just start with a photo, but please only with a copy of the photo.
If your own Worflow stumbles, you can always ask this forum.
My questions have always been answered

Affinity Photo has a very good help.

Best Regards
Gnobelix

kind regards

Thanks, all! Had not realized there were responses, just modified my settings. Very supportive forum, much appreciation, will review the above suggestions and contributions and start doing my homework. Many thanks, Stuart

Roger C likes this

@ drippy cat, thank you. Very nice work on this book. Just grab it. I am not a completely newbie , use Adobe stuff for 15 years, but your book comes really handy for me for to catch up on Affinity.