You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you set priorities?

Since I've been on the forum for a while, I often see the same requests for the implementation of important features and no response from Serif.
So the question arises: how do they prioritize new features?
Here are screenshots of some features that have been waiting for years.

01.JPG.311f86d3c74ddc8dc30877f2f8aad201.JPG

02.JPG.71c37f12ecf316834625108ef627eaa6.JPG

03.JPG.b393a4e748886ec1e54a63d96c99d3f2.JPG

04.JPG.5f1d51b6e6a8cc3b72164ebe9fac2ab1.JPG

Other companies have a special menu item where there is a list of all the wishes and everyone can vote.

featured.JPG.b6684e23cffc85b95faae8856933f901.JPG

Maybe you need to do something similar?

4 hours ago, anto said:

The answer is in the header of this page:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feedback-suggestions

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

27 хвилин тому loukash сказав:

This is not the answer. There are hundreds of similar topics with different titles. The screenshots I posted above have hundreds of child topics in different years. How can you add a vote? Where do you see the rating?

• Staff

This is covered in this old thread,

On 12/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, Patrick Connor said:

As I've said before, we are not a democracy, we are a benevolent dictatorship.

Just because other processes suit other companies does not mean that we must adopt them, though I appreciate that you and others would like it if we did.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

This is covered in this old thread,

Just because other processes suit other companies does not mean that we must adopt them, though I appreciate that you and others would like it if we did.

Thank you. Now I realize there are no ratings.

• Staff
1 minute ago, anto said:

Now I realize there are no ratings.

not public facing no, sorry

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

not public facing no, sorry

I have one issue that I wrote to support about regarding the apostrophe that breaks words on MacOS. This is a priority for me.
If there are no ratings, and I'm the only one who wrote about this problem, can I expect it to be resolved in less than 10 years?

12 hours ago, anto said:

I have one issue that I wrote to support about regarding the apostrophe that breaks words on MacOS. This is a priority for me.
If there are no ratings, and I'm the only one who wrote about this problem, can I expect it to be resolved in less than 10 years?

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

I'd like them to fix far more bugs than they're doing currently rather than worry about user-elected development cycle(s)... the bugs are a huge turn-off to using the programs and even though I really don't want to as these are the programs I prefer, I'm having to consider other options lest I end up in a situation where I can't use the programs... as it is currently, I have to lower my DPI on my displays to even use Pixel Mode properly. And then there's the BSOD caused by moving certain panels between displays to another (otherwise my computer is a very stable President). I'm not so concerned about future BSODs, but the  laissez faire approach towards the growing bugs list is a major red flag...

I hope the bugs reported during this cycle are fixed before 2.4 goes retail. I do not want bugs to carry over to the next cycle.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

21 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

I hope the bugs reported during this cycle are fixed before 2.4 goes retail. I do not want bugs to carry over to the next cycle.

If past Affinity releases are anything (and all we really have) to go by, I wouldn't hold your breath. I fear we're nearing a point where the bugs and instability in the Affinity Suite are beginning to outweigh many of the benefits (performance, simplicity, etc), and where many folks (myself included) will need to decide whether it's in their best interest to "keep the faith and hope" that things will get better—or to simply move on and find other solutions.

Affinity Designer fills a very specific niche for me (bitmap + vector, where Macromedia Fireworks excelled before it), but the recent releases are causing me to use the software even less as every time I open it I seem to run into more issues, or the existing ones remind simply me why I'm not using it more.

HI @Bryan Rieger I don't get crashes too often, but I would like much more bugs to get fixed then at the rate than they are. I am talking about bugs themselves, not UI design choices.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

Currently, I'm not experiencing major bugs in Designer, but from simple use of Photo and to some extent Publisher, it's evident that Serif has inevitably reached the point where the consequences of accumulated technical debt and the buildup of poor user interface decisions are becoming apparent. Serif completely missed the great opportunity with version 2 to avoid ending up in this miserable situation, but instead chose to make new and worse mistakes.

However, the advantage for us customers will be that, at some point, the motivation to switch to other programs becomes much greater, as does the benefit.

On 2/5/2024 at 10:16 AM, Bryan Rieger said:

If past Affinity releases are anything (and all we really have) to go by, I wouldn't hold your breath. I fear we're nearing a point where the bugs and instability in the Affinity Suite are beginning to outweigh many of the benefits (performance, simplicity, etc), and where many folks (myself included) will need to decide whether it's in their best interest to "keep the faith and hope" that things will get better—or to simply move on and find other solutions.

Affinity Designer fills a very specific niche for me (bitmap + vector, where Macromedia Fireworks excelled before it), but the recent releases are causing me to use the software even less as every time I open it I seem to run into more issues, or the existing ones remind simply me why I'm not using it more.

Yes, it's a gradual erosion of trust and that's how damage is done overtime. When everything works seamlessly, of course there's no problem because there's nothing like these programs and it feels rather fresh. For some people, this is more the norm perhaps depending on their usage, but we can't know how many that is. We've agreed on your comments and others in the past on some regressions in V2, however. Although, I can't comment as much on iPad because I've not had a need for one (if I did, it would be for Procreate). They really just need to take the UX complaints/bug complaints more seriously and use that to strengthen the foundation. I think the foundation is there, but it's being weakened by the ever-existing long bug list. I recognize everyone's position and complaints are different in terms of costs, scale, time spent in program and general trust in the programs, so in my case, I can only say it's not a matter of projecting my "version" of trust as being more superior over another, but rather saying for myself out loud I'm on this end and this is what I'm seeing for myself as one daily user...

On 2/5/2024 at 8:02 PM, Barry Newman said:

Currently, I'm not experiencing major bugs in Designer, but from simple use of Photo and to some extent Publisher, it's evident that Serif has inevitably reached the point where the consequences of accumulated technical debt and the buildup of poor user interface decisions are becoming apparent. Serif completely missed the great opportunity with version 2 to avoid ending up in this miserable situation, but instead chose to make new and worse mistakes.

However, the advantage for us customers will be that, at some point, the motivation to switch to other programs becomes much greater, as does the benefit.

I see what you're saying. If someone has put in the time and effort into the product, learning it, investing in it with materials, honing one's workflow, then there's some kind of exact cost for that user intuitively that they expect to see a return on. If they feel increasingly they've not gotten back what they've put in in exchange for their "faith", they are much more likely to move on. This is good in the sense that they're not strapping themselves down to one platform if they have other options at their disposable (this keeps them also creatively flexible). Competition could also force these companies to deal with their ridiculousness on the software end, more accountable in how they proceed with design at the expense of the everyday user. That said, there's less solid competition on the Windows side, at least depending on what one is focusing on. Depending on what field a user falls under, that can make a huge difference in complaints, imo, if their options are more specialized/unique...

6 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Although, I can't comment as much on iPad because I've not had a need for one (if I did, it would be for Procreate).

The iPad is starting to feel stale. Most of the major new features haven’t made it to the iPad.  It’s still fun to use, but it doesn’t get much love :(

procreate is an interesting example. I can think of only 1 major new feature in the past couple of years: pencil hover for the iPad Pro.   But it still reigns at the top of the charts. In my opinion, AD doesn’t really need new features at this point. But clearing up some long standing and vexing bugs would be most welcome (including a functional Help system for the Mac). 
I don’t feel like Photo is missing much either in terms of features, except I’d like some existing features to work better like smart select and things like inpainting or background erase. 

id be perfectly happy with bug fixes only until 3.0 is ready. 

On 2/5/2024 at 5:16 PM, Bryan Rieger said:

I fear we're nearing a point where the bugs and instability in the Affinity Suite are beginning to outweigh many of the benefits (performance, simplicity, etc), and where many folks (myself included) will need to decide whether it's in their best interest to "keep the faith and hope" that things will get better—or to simply move on and find other solutions.

As if you were reading my mind. Back in the time in the V1 reviews, which encouraged people to try the applications, there was often a statement that "the programs can only get better over time". Now year after releasing V2 I'm slowly realizing that nothing will come of it. Retail releases are pushed out with lot of bugs, devs struggling with fixing old ones. If there are no noticeable changes in quality, I probably won't upgrade to V3.

1 hour ago, bbrother said:

Retail releases are pushed out with lot of bugs, devs struggling with fixing old ones.

Hm. Where have I experienced this scenario before?
Could it have been those paid "suite" upgrades released by the company whose name begins with an "A" and rhymes with Madobe? 

But sure, I'm slightly disappointed that Serif still didn't fulfill my secret wish yet. Bummer.

On the other hand, given the total cost of ownership over the past – hey! – almost 10 years of being an Affinity user, I seriously can't complain. Especially compared to the costs for the Madobe suite and its upgrades into which I have invested thousands of CHF from 2003 until 2011…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 2/2/2024 at 7:52 AM, anto said:

Here are screenshots of some features that have been waiting for years. ...

Prioritization is always a tricky topic and I think one have to differentiate between bugs and features, even though a lot of them are often also related.

Personally I think, that everything which proves to always crash the apps and/or leaves them in some/an instable state, has the overal highest priority. Followed by critical mostly used functions then, which don't really do what they are inteded to do and thus are useless to faulty (so not working correctly) in their current state.

In terms of new features, it will be probably what can be done relatively fast, on top of the already available base/foundation. Everything else more complex is probably pushed further back, because there are also many errors to be first cleaned up that are interdependent and therefore can generate side effects and new errors if not fixed first.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 hours ago, bbrother said:

If there are no noticeable changes in quality, I probably won't upgrade to V3.

It probably ends there. On the bright side, as I mentioned, the disappointments animated me to buy other software made by companies that deliver quality and up-to-date, well-thought-out user interfaces.

The high expectations for v2 ended in a bitter disappointment, which indirectly was a serious warning that Serif either can't or won't turn the product in a contemporary direction and improved form. It's as if the old architecture and UI are to be milked to the last.

I also don't think I'll be putting money into a v3. Too much time has gone by for anything to be coincidental, and I don't need to waste my life waiting for miracles either.

22 hours ago, debraspicher said:

I see what you're saying. If someone has put in the time and effort into the product, learning it, investing in it with materials, honing one's workflow, then there's some kind of exact cost for that user intuitively that they expect to see a return on. If they feel increasingly they've not gotten back what they've put in in exchange for their "faith", they are much more likely to move on. This is good in the sense that they're not strapping themselves down to one platform if they have other options at their disposable (this keeps them also creatively flexible).

Exactly. And contrary to what many hobbyists believe, there can also be a negative return on investment in a cheap product, simply if the user interface is poor, the applications crash, the program imposes limitations, or it never gets significantly updated over time anyway. The word investment is key here. And that's probably the key to why there's not a trace of anything but insignificant amounts of professional customers at Serif. The professionals can see that it's an investment that will end badly. Both in terms of deficiencies and future prospects.

Beyond everything else I've described, I find myself taken more seriously both professionally and as a customer elsewhere. Directly in interaction with the companies first and foremost, but most certainly in the form and features of the product. It's something that mature and adult individuals appreciate.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:56 PM, Return said:

Always nice to hear people vent their opinions while they deem the products and its future to be nonexistent and that they are so professional and have moved on.
Maybe put your comments into actions and simply move on.

And you can stay and keep convincing yourself that everything is going in the right direction and you made a great choice.
Time to get out of the bubble and get to work. They are expected to deliver a professional app with professional quality and solutions, not a cheap bugged app for drawing bees and flowers.

Some cites from Serif main page:

Affinity Designer

The top choice of thousands of illustrators, designers, game developers and other pros...

Affinity Photo

As the only fully-loaded photo editor integrated across macOS, Windows and iPad, Affinity Photo 2 is fast becoming the industry standard for image editing...

Affinity Publisher

Whether you’re creating magazines, posters, newsletters, bid documents, brochures or other materials, this groundbreaking page layout app gives you the power to combine your images, graphics and text to produce stunning publications of the highest quality.