You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is appropriate to post in the Share your work forum please?

Honestly the whole endless (...over and over again) same OP babbling here reminds me very much of "Groundhog Day". So makes one feel like Bill Murray, who is stuck in a time loop and relives the same day over and over again. 😞

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Honestly the whole endless (...over and over again) same OP babbling here reminds me very much of "Groundhog Day". So makes one feel like Bill Murray, who is stuck in a time loop and relives the same day over and over again. 😞

Yes, the final goal is to fill the internet. Even the last bit of space. As soon as possible.😄

9 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

To be quite honest, I can see the appeal of AI for people who are frustrated artists, without the skills to create genuine artwork themselves, but that is no excuse for taking other peoples original work, messing about with it, and then claiming it as their own!

But that does not mean that people who like AI are all necessarily frustrated artists.

I am interested in art, I like to have a go.

I am not going to go in for the culture of self-deprecating my own efforts.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

But that does not mean that people who like AI are all necessarily frustrated artists.

I am interested in art, I like to have a go.

I am not going to go in for the culture of self-deprecating my own efforts.

William

Anyway, if you want to do arts, just do it, if you can. And if you want to show it in these forums, do it with Affinity software. This is not a forum to talk about AI.

4 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Anyway, if you want to do arts, just do it, if you can. And if you want to show it in these forums, do it with Affinity software. This is not a forum to talk about AI.

Well, I had a go a few days ago.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/197707-art-of-its-own-genre/

I did it using Affinity Designer.

I have not posted in the Share your work forum what I did this morning as it involved an AI generated image and I obeyed the rule stated by Patrick, even though what I did included using the rotate and shear facilities of Affinity Designer together.

So I am politely asking here about it.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

22 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well, it is a discussion thread.

We are indeed fortunate that Serif allows discussion of forum policy.

William

William, have you ever considered that your more-generalised art/graphics/design thoughts, ideas, designs and questions may find a more appreciative audience elsewhere?

There are probably hundreds, maybe thousands, of forums out there in the web with a less-specific, non-Affinity-biased, remit which could be more suited to your creativity and inquisitiveness.

A quick web search for art and design forum gave me lots of possibilities covering a wide range of subjects which seem more likely to be a better match for you in these instances.

Forums like Creative Spark, for instance, have many different sub-forums, each with its own area of interest: https://creativespark.art/

That’s not to say that you can’t still be a member of these forums; they’ll still be here for you to post your Affinity projects and questions.

But there are other places ‘out there’ that may possibly be a better fit for what you have to say, and what you want to know, about things that aren’t particularly Affinity-based.

Getting your ideas in front of the right people, in the right place, might help you to get the answers and inspiration that you could be looking for.

Just a thought.

14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

We are indeed fortunate

"We" ? – Obviously nobody else than you enjoys this thread.

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

11 days later.

What you've added today is just clickbait again to rehash your ideas, even though it's been made clear multiple times above that they have nothing to do with the Affinity forum...

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-31um14_16_49.jpg.b7f88d9332842abecd4806f254f12733.jpg

… in particular annoying with a link to a post of yours in a different, external forum that perfidiously links back to the Affinity forum:

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-31um14_14_43.jpg.60737585cabb5d3eb45c5db1fe654d25.jpg

And you still keep linking here to an external forum, and again with text without any relevance to Affinity apps / the Affinity forum:

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-31um14_17_27.jpg.ccb65b5cb2a01dc138e1d411e4edaf7f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Oh, for heaven's sake, this thread is infuriatingly nonsensical and shockingly unserious. And bloody annoying. You all evidently lack the experience of conversing with people outside the realms of the Internet. Please, just stop fueling this thread by engaging with someone you clearly know is beyond rational discussion, and allow Serif to handle the moderation.

It's impossible to ignore or block threads here, so you're subjecting everyone to the thoroughly miserable experience of seeing this thread resurface time and time again.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

You posted a sonnet that is in the Italian style.

So I posted a link to another sonnet that is in the same style.

It is a serious thread in a friendly forum. It may be that some people have the opinion that I am asking the same question as was asked before, but it is not the same question.

It is a question asked to Patrick, so hopefully a ruling will be made as to whether an image generated by AI may be used in a Share your work forum post if that image is edited other than just scaling using Affinity software, is an AI image allowed as input to Affinity software in a Share your work forum thread on the same basis as is a photograph.

If the question is not asked then by default it cannot be done, so I consider it best  to ask as that could lead to progress in applying Affinity software: an example being that this morning I used shear and rotate together to achieve a first attempt at a desired effect.

William

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

And you still keep linking here to an external forum, and again with text without any relevance to Affinity apps / the Affinity forum:

Yet it is a good example of using Affinity Designer to produce a composite image from two original images, using shear and rotate so as to achieve the result.

If the image of the art gallery had been a photograph I could have posted about the editing in the Share your work forum.

Then a discussion about how to adjust the smaller image using Affinity software to achieve a better lighting effect could have taken place.

William

• Staff

"Share your work".... the clue is in the name "Share. Your. Work."

• Share: show to others things that they may be interested in, not something that you have spent a short time rotating or shearing that is of little or no interest to others.
  • Your: the images should be your own creation. Do not not start with someone/something else's artwork. This therefore precludes AI generated source work that you go on to edit and also artwork created by others that you adjust/edit.
  • Work: demonstrating some artistic skills or that you have used the application in a novel way that requires some degree of effort, not just a basic understanding of the tools

Most people understand without it being spelt out, for example almost all entries in that forum conform to these 3 descriptions:

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Yet it is a good example of using Affinity Designer

Nonsense, supplemented by a lie. – Neither your post in this thread of the Affinity forum … nor your linked post in the external forum is related to Affinity.

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-31um17_15_18.jpg.53430f19781d9eaae6c6607a1b8a38e2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

"Share your work".... the clue is in the name "Share. Your. Work."

• Share: show to others things that they may be interested in, not something that you have spent 2 minutes rotating or shearing that is of little or no interest to others.
  • Your: the images should be your own creation. Do not not start with someone/something else's artwork. This therefore precludes AI generated source work that you go on to edit and also artwork created by others that you adjust/edit.
  • Work: demonstrating some artistic skills or that you have used the application in a novel way that requires some degree of effort, not just a basic understanding of the tools

Most people understand without it being spelt out, for example almost all entries in that forum conform to these 3 descriptions:

Thank you for replying.

It took me longer than two minutes to do the editing, I had not used Shear before.

I am rather pleased with the result that I achieved with using Affinity software. It is another step forward with my research project as I now have an illustration.

I do not know whether anybody would be interested.

As far as I am aware - though I have not done a search, just from my memory of what I have seen previously - what I did is using the application in a novel way, to produce a composite image by placing a sign onto a noticeboard that is in another picture.

William

48 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Reading this I immediately thought of a first yean art student who, having produced a so-so painting which he is quite pleased with, using techniques new to him, but well known to most other artists, petulantly complains because the local art gallery is not interested in hanging his painting along side some of the great masters! 😁

"art student" ?

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-31um19_37_57.jpg.22fe84923a43739640ec056914810f5f.jpg

17 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thinking about this I am rather concerned that Serif is setting the threshold for participating far too high.

No artistic skill is required to purchase a licence for the software.

At the risk of being accused of counting clicks, before the discussion restarted yesterday the views was 2.6 k, now it is 3.2k,so lots of views, though some views are by the same people keeping up with the discussion.

So I wonder how many people reading this thread would like to post something in the Share your work forum yet do not do so as they are concerned that what they can produce is not good enough.

My view, and I appreciate that maybe nobody will publicly agree with me and that I may be criticised for my opinion, is that people should be encouraged to post what they can do, because that achievement can lead to doing more and better.

If people are presented a cliff face to learning then learning and achieving can seem impossible - better to show the way to the longer, yet gentler gradient, path to achievement.

Maybe we need a thread in Share your work for people to have a go, perhaps as their first post, a gentle thread with encouragement. A sort of learner's café.

William

No artistic skill is required to purchase a licence for the software.

But to create something good looking, stunning, demanding or at least useful for others with the software (...so something creative, beside your childish attempts here) requires to learn, know and use the software's capabilities.

At the risk of being accused of counting clicks, before the discussion restarted yesterday the views was 2.6 k, now it is 3.2k,so lots of views, though some views are by the same people keeping up with the discussion.

It's more that, people are looking if you may have finally & hopefully understood the "Share your work" forum rules here.

So I wonder how many people reading this thread would like to post something in the Share your work forum yet do not do so as they are concerned that what they can produce is not good enough.

Why should they have to read this thread at all for that? - They do take instead a look in that forum category in order to see what other forum people do draw, create, design, sketch, present ... and show there, so what other people do make with the Affinity software and maybe getting some new ideas. - This thread here is of absolutely no help for them therefor!

... Maybe we need a thread in Share your work for people to have a go, perhaps as their first post, a gentle thread with encouragement. A sort of learner's café.

NO, that would unnecessarily fill the forum category with a bunch of junk, further people do already use this forum "Support & Questions" category therefor, no matter if an absolute beginner howto or some more advanced questions. Here they do already get the needed help and support from a bunch of forum volunteers, moderators and other people. So there's no need for a new specific learner forum category, as the forum already has this "S & Q", "Tutorials", "Resources" ... sections. Other than that, the net is also full of Affinity related beginner tutorials (videos and written ones) and blogs, which show how to use the software and doing first steps and more advanced creative work with it.

It's time for you to leave your circular time loop and instead to spend your time better more useful, by learning to use the Affinity software tools and to create something much more demanding and individual with it, which you then can present here in this forum. - And I mean here not some by AI Bing created stuff, or three four banal strokes for a tree, which my little 5 year old nephew can draw either way much better with the Affinity software, or without using the Affinity software at all!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Good morning, Troops! As small children, when my siblings and I would say “I thought,” or “I am thinking” after some foolish or downright silly remark, our father used to ask, “Are you sure you were thinking?” If we just leave this topic now to the originator to “think” in at his leisure, and not rise to the bait by commenting in any of his further multiple attempts to keep it going, here or in a new post, he can be quite happy by counting his own posts. That would appear to be his goal.

After all, “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.” Or think?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

People may not agree with me but my latest post is because of my genuine concern that the threshold of ability and performance being expected for the Share your work forum is unhelpful for encouraging people who are learning to use Affinity products to participate in the pleasure and progress of posting items that they have produced using Affinity products.

I accept that due to me not previously understanding what level of use of Affinity products was expected for participation in the Share your work forum by Serif has resulted in the past of me posting threads that are incompatible with the level of achievement that I now know that Serif regards as expected. I had thought that using the Affinity product to achieve some result was sufficient.

Yet management must manage and if Serif management has a requirement then it is Serif's Share your work forum so Serif's choice.

William

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 12:34 PM, iconoclast said:

Even I agree with you, the source image is not important for this forum. The important point is what you did with it using Affinity apps. So AI doesn't really matter here. It is not the topic. And William doesn't seem to do anything with the Affinity apps. At least nothing that is of interest for this forums. That's the point, I think.

Well, the banning of anything generated by Ai means that I have not been able to post something that I have done.

I started with a picture of the exit of an art gallery with a noticeboard in the picture that had been generated for me by AI and in Affinity Designer I produced a notice with a display that is applying one of my inventions and I added it onto the noticeboard in the picture, so as to produce a picture of the exit of an art gallery with the sign that I had designed displayed.

Alright, it is not allowed to be posted in the Share your work forum, but I have done something using an Affinity program.

Maybe it is not of interest to everybody who looks at items in Share your work, but some people might be interested and it might inspire people who are learning as to what is possible.

Anyway, here are links to before and after images.

https://punster.me/serif/viewtopic.php?pid=4124#p4124

https://punster.me/serif/viewtopic.php?pid=4141#p4141an

From my viewpoint, the Affinity program has been an important tool in allowing me to make progress with my research as I now have an illustration of what I am suggesting.

Also, although I could produce beautiful output of text set out for framing,  as I understand the situation, something that is text is not acceptable for the Share your work forum either.

So this lovely sonnet cannot be posted even if typeset in a stylish font, even if it had not been generated by AI as a result of my prompt (though later found not to be in the Italian style).

https://punster.me/serif/viewtopic.php?pid=3682#p3682

William

21 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Alright, it is not allowed to be posted in the Share your work forum, but I have done something using an Affinity program.

If you understand that it is not allowed, why do you keep talking about it here in the Questions forum where you already know the answer to your titular question? You have not generated any interest in this AI augmented stuff in this topic so why do you keep talking about it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

If you understand that it is not allowed, why do you keep talking about it here in the Questions forum where you already know the answer to your titular question? You have not generated any interest in this AI augmented stuff in this topic so why do you keep talking about it?

Because I was answering the claim that I do not seem to do anything with Affinity apps.

William

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

Because I was answering the claim that I do not seem to do anything with Affinity apps.

No one claimed that. But even if they had, what's the point of continuing to talk about it here? What do you hope to accomplish? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7