You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone.

MEB

Hm I´ll take them for free.

I had to choose the HD/Library/ Plug-In Folder during install (klick the + Icon when it asks which application to connect with and choose that folder)

Then I also added this to the Plugin search folder and / for the plugin support.

Bummer. I went through all that, too, but I just can't get the plugins to load in the drop-down menu... I've tried reinstalling them, deleting the previous paths in the Prefs pane in AP, redoing the paths but to no avail. 

Latest AP from the MAS and latest version of the plugins downloaded today.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

• Staff

Hi MacGueurle,

In the Plug-ins Search Folders you must enter the path where you have chosen to instal the plug-ins (the folder where the .plugin files are located - NOT the plugin support files/apps which by default are installed in a folder named Nik Collection inside the Applications folder).

Then click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise from the dialog that will appear. Finally tick Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used and restart Affinity.

Hi MacGueurle,

In the Plug-ins Search Folders you must enter the path where you have chosen to instal the plug-ins (the folder where the .plugin files are located - NOT the plugin support files/apps which by default are installed in a folder named Nik Collection inside the Applications folder).

Then click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise from the dialog that will appear. Finally tick Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used and restart Affinity.

Thanks for the swift reply, MEB. Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used is already ticked on. Will try to find the .plugin files you speak of and will restart AP. Thanks again for the help.

Edited to add: HAH! Didn't see the installer also added a Google folder in the Applications folder. Will see how this turns out...

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

Excellent! AP can now identify the plugins ! Thanks!  :)

Edited to add:

Two plugins show up with a red Requires Global Support warning but I had already done the authorization, I have redone it but they still show as red in the list (Analog Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4). Maybe it's because they only work partially like you mentioned?

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

Wow !! Perfect timing

Thanks a lot Miguel !  :)

Edit : Mmmm...  :mellow: Can't get them to work in AP. At the best I have a partial list of modules in the drop-down menu but any of them I select, I have the splash screen asking me to buy or use the demo version.

They work fine though in Aperture or as standalone app.

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

Hi MacGueurle,

Where would you suggest installing the Nik collection on download?

• Staff

Hi killwilly,

If you have Photoshop installed in your system i would install the Nik plug-ins there and point Affinity Photo to Photoshop's plug-in folder ( /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015/Plug-ins - you may have to adapt this path depending on the version of Photoshop you have installed). This way you can use the plug-ins with both apps.

If you don't have Photoshop installed i would create a new folder during the installation named Nik Collection Plug-ins (to keep it near the Nik Collection folder created automatically by the installer for the support files in Finder). If you don't create a specific folder the Nik Collection installer will place the plug-in files in a folder called Google (inside the Applications folder) by default. If you intend o install more plugins later you may want to create an Affinity Photo Plug-ins folder instead and install all plug-ins to inside that folder.

Hello Miguel,

Just a question, do they have to be "activated" in any way before being usable in AP ?

Like I said in my post earlier, when I was able to access them in AP, I got the splash screen asking me to buy them or use the demo version. I never had Nik collection installed on my Mac and yesterday night was the first time I downloaded the package.

They work fine in Aperture or as standalone apps.

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

Hello Miguel,

Just a question, do they have to be "activated" in any way before being usable in AP ?

Like I said in my post earlier, when I was able to access them in AP, I got the splash screen asking me to buy them or use the demo version. I never had Nik collection installed on my Mac and yesterday night was the first time I downloaded the package.

They work fine in Aperture or as standalone apps.

Yep I get that splash screen (demo versus buy) as well. I've decided I'd use the plugins in stand-alone mode.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

Thanks for the video link, I managed to install the plugins. Unfortunately the photo appears upside down when used in Affinity Photo, like this: http://i.imgur.com/p7pyXFs.png

Has anyone else had this issue? I don't see any tool to rotate the image within the plugin either. :(

I had that issues but I figured out why: Like you, I had opened a photo from my iPhone, one that as it turned out I had to rotate 180° for it to appear right side up at some point in the past, probably in Apple's Photos app. That became obvious in AP when I selected the Move tool, selected the photo pixel layer, & noticed that the Move tool rotate handle was at the bottom instead of the top.

The fix was simple: choose the photo pixel layer, right click on it, & choose "Rasterize..." from the popup menu. Even though it was already a rasterized pixel layer, doing that 'resets' the Move tool's rotate handle to the top, in effect resetting the pixel rotation to 0°. After doing that, the photo layer appeared right side up in the NIK filters.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R! I'm sure the photo was never previously rotated in the Photos app, but it worked anyway. Maybe it's the orientation of the iPhone when I took the pic that caused it. 

In retrospect, I think I probably imported my 'upside down' photos from my iPhone 5s to my Mac using Apple's Image Capture app, not Photos. Several of them are still on my phone so I reimported one using that app. While it appeared right side up in the Image Capture window, when I opened it in Preview that app's Inspector > More Info > General & TIFF tabs both showed Orientation: 3 (rotated 180°), as did several others.

When I opened the reimported file in AP, I got the same Move tool handle on the bottom as before, which I assume means AP read that metadata but the weird thing about it is the Studio > EXIF > All panel says tiff.Orientation 1, not 3 like I would expect.

I think this might be a very minor bug in AP, one that normally would not make any difference but would with layers it passed to Photoshop plugins.

Note: I was going to include screen shots but for some reason the option to attach files isn't available in the More Reply Options editor at the moment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What about Viveza - will it be supported in the near future?

Probably not. As has been mentioned in a few of the topics here, it requires the cooperation of the plugin maker to make Photoshop plugins work with other apps -- Affinity can't do it without their help. It doesn't seem likely that will ever happen because Internet rumor has it that Google made the Nik collection free because it is ceasing all development on these plugins, for example as mentioned here.

Affinity Photo 

I just downloaded the NIK collection (Mac) and after viewing this thread and others I thought it might be best to ask a couple of questions before I proceed with running the installer.

Firstly, I do NOT have photoshop of any flavour, but I DO have the latest (and, sadly, the last) version of Aperture.

MEB, you mentioned placing these into photoshop and then "pointing Affinity Photo to Photoshop's plug-in folder" in order to use the NIK plug-ins in both applications. Would it be a possible, and functional, choice to install these for use in Aperture and then do this "pointing" you somewhat cryptically (to my unlearned ears anyway) advised? If so, how do I go about pointing AP to plug-ins available to Aperture?

yakk, in post #16 on this thread you posted a video showing the procedure to install these plug-ins for use with Affinity Photo for those who, like me, do not have Photoshop. Would this be a preferred method for someone who has Aperture. I ask because it seems as if the plug-ins would:

work fine from Aperture for as long as I can run Aperture (but I would have to move the image from AP to Aperture on those occasions I wanted to use a NIK plug-in)

or

some of the plug-ins will sort of work OK-ish from Affinity Photo (if later AP upgrades do not kill this ability).

Would it perhaps be wise for me to install for use from Aperture for now and keep .dmg from the downloaded NIK collection. That way whenever I do update from Yosemite to El Capitan or beyond and thus lose my beloved Aperture perhaps AP will have the plug-in support then to have the whole collection working. Or, better yet, Serif will have started shipping the fabled Affinity 'DAM' and I could walk happily away from Aperture.

So, what do you think guys; what's the best option?