You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

21 hours ago, nezumi said:

What is the point of picture if then you change everything about it? Everything now will be fake? "Look, me on the top of the Eiffel tower, on the bicycle, wearing Armani suit, drinking coffee!"? Or "check out photo of my grandma - she looked nothing like this but AI improved the quality and blue eyes are looking better on her anyways! And here me with her on one photo - isnt that amazing? She died before I was born!".

All of what you describe here is perfectly possible to accomplish without any use of AI image technology, it's just harder. But I think you know that. I agree with you that AI will make heavy image manipulation more accessible to anyone and that this is not necessarily a good thing. But please let's not forget that Serif explicitly targets professional users with their Affinity Suite. The praise of AI comes from both worlds, but for different reasons: Non-professionals may see their capabilities extend, and in part dramatically. Professionals on the other hand will be able to do much more in much less time, and this totally makes sense from a business perspective. The less time you spend on an editing job, the more time you have to do another one.

Now, I don't say that this is the solution to all our problems, and I also don't say that it's not a good idea to be skeptical about AI. But I do understand why people from many different backgrounds say that they "need" this – be it to be able to do more (which, by the way, even applies to many professionals) or to save time. It's just that when you think about it, saying they "want" this might often be the more honest approach.

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes, these are the topics I currently write about. FYI, just published something new today. This is more light hearted humor from a counter perspective. 

https://dakara.substack.com/p/researchers-discover-reality

Something more in depth and serious if you are interested.

https://dakara.substack.com/p/ai-and-the-end-to-all-things

FYI, all image composites, edits and illustrations done with Affinity for all articles :-)

All I'm saying is that it's lucky that Photo 2.0 came out before Photoshop revealed their AI generative fill.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

20 hours ago, Return said:

But to put things in perspective:

Essentially, if people start believing that computers can accomplish everything by simply typing in commands, our livelihood will become much more challenging. Although this perception doesn't reflect reality, it's the only thing that matters to clients in our industry. As a friend of mine noted, we'll need to work harder, not less, due to the emergence of artificial intelligence. Essentially, we'll need to spend more time and effort to surpass what others can achieve with a single click. This will make it difficult to earn a living since we'll be faced with two challenges: first, clients may demand lower prices since they assume we're using AI, and second, we won't be able to charge more for using it.

Prove me wrong.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

3 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

we'll need to work harder, not less,

It is interesting to note that this has been the trend essentially with all technological advancements. The promise is we will work less, we can relax and take more time off. However, it has been precisely the opposite that has happened. As you state, it increases competition as a side effect. There have been posts on AI forums about those deeply involved already burning out from the exhaustion of trying to keep up.

24 minutes ago, CM0 said:

deeply involved already burning out

Let's not overlook the fact that they're not compensated for their hard work. As a freelancer for over 25 years, I still find myself staying up late and spending an excessive amount of time working on challenging projects for clients, despite having access to incredible tools. On occasions, clients will visit websites like lexica.art and send me examples of what they're seeking to accomplish, leaving me to match that level of quality over several days for pennies. Meanwhile, they assume that I'm merely leveraging AI technology more effectively.

1 hour ago, CM0 said:

Yes, these are the topics I currently write about. FYI, just published something new today. This is more light hearted humor from a counter perspective. 

https://dakara.substack.com/p/researchers-discover-reality

Immediately your article reminded me of Isaac Asimov's 1958 story "The Feeling of Power" in which one man discovers graphitics. He learns to calculate with pencil and paper. Doing arithmetic without computers obviously has military significance:  it makes manned missiles possible.
https://archive.org/details/1958-02_IF/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater

Even older is E. M. Forster's 1909 tale about the rediscovery of outdoor reality beyond one's room when "The Machine Stops."
https://archive.org/details/e.-m.-forster-the-machine-stops_202008

I hasten to add that while I purchased my copy of "If" from a newsstand in 1958, Forster's story was published before even I was born. I know of it only from an anthology I bought many decades ago. 

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.3.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 hour ago, Granddaddy said:

Isaac Asimov's 1958 story "The Feeling of Power" in which one man discovers graphitics

Thank you for the reference. I read it and enjoyed that story.

"The Machine Stops" premise seems very interesting as well. Will check it out further when I have time.

One could take the view that we ourselves are robots, albeit biological in nature, we exist and act upon the world based on input, we are born blank, it is the life experience that shapes us, the input of data from other bio-robots (programming) the impact of interactions from other bio-robots and how well managed we are within our designated environment. Some of us have Celeron processors, while others have Xeon processors, the analogy is uncanny but maybe the way computers/robots are made and think is because it's how we think, computers and robots are made in our image so to speak.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Well, here's an example of something that feels strange and unnatural, at least for me.

I tend to look one two times the day through the daily news, in order to see what happens in the world. On the main german online news site they also have a section called "Pictures of the day" which is a sort of image gallery with image things and themes from around the world. - Today I stumbled there about a picture with the subtitle ...

A wild elephant stands together with cows at a garbage dump in Ampara (Sri Lanka) and looks for food. Sri Lanka will launch a nationwide plastic waste cleanup before new laws ban the sale of single-use plastic, the environment ministry said after a number of elephants and deer died in the island's northeast while looking for food at open dumps full of plastic waste.

... which immediately caught my attention as it looked somehow unnatural (faked) for a real camera shot ...

muelldeponie.jpg.bd6a39f15001b6ff73bfeda4f4aaf5f1.jpg

Here's that image alone:

tiere-muelldeponie-100.jpg.862cd98482864d62e1a5cc212fc7e397.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this image was generated by some of the latest common AI engines, instead of being hand crafted in PS/APh.

What I wonder overall is, that even state based News services nowadays don't indicate somewhere, that some image was artificially created using an AI here! - BTW, I could have made a better, more realistic looking one in APh here. Also I would have then included deers instead of cows, true to the context. 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

That image is from AFP, Agence France-Presse, Ishara S. Kodikara.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1665954542071201792/photo/3

German state media  isn´t the best in fact checking but If its´s an generated image, AFP and the Photographer would be in trouble.
AFP is like DPA or Reuters.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

1 hour ago, myclay said:

German state media  isn´t the best in fact checking but If its´s an generated image, AFP and the Photographer would be in trouble.
AFP is like DPA or Reuters.

They tell under their image rights section where the images are from ...

bildrechte.jpg.0dc2414cd1996561f3dcc64af6734236.jpg

... though if you zoom in to some higher degree on that image it looks more like the cows having been afterwards placed in ...

manipulated.jpg.5c168d2d96c9de9dfd769d7345b6cf11.jpg

bildrechte2.jpg.6f82c03ecd3eb88d48a1eeda0b8ee640.jpg

... for me.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Might be a task for some forensic checking. ;)
https://29a.ch/photo-forensics/#error-level-analysis
Drag and drop the image into the site, its locally edited in your browser.

The sunlight colour seems convincing? The cows are a domestic cattle breed so if this was AI generated, at least some tiny amount of thought went in...
Anyhow if its true that its AI generated(need more convincing proof for that claim), AFP could still lose its entire reputation.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Ai-art is funny yes, and you can do a lot with it, but.... yes there is always a but in case, you need to see it as a tool for inspiration and maby some items you can use in you own design,art, composition.  There will always need for the human to edit, thats the way I use it. Without AP it will be shit. ;)

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

I had a play with "creating" some "art" on an AI website. I thought Mr Disney wouldn't mind if I "borrowed" an image of Mickey Mouse. I ended up with an "original" image, still recognisable as Mickey Mouse, but with six fingers on one hand and a third ear in the middle of his head. Amazing! I can't wait for Affinity to add this wonderful functionality! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 5/24/2023 at 7:20 AM, Lee_T said:

Hi WMax70,

There are no plans for this at present.

Lee

Affinity software will begin to show how far behind it is getting this year. Apple's new vision pro AR headset is just an example of the world we are headed towards and will Affinity still be around? 

22 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

Affinity software will begin to show how far behind it is getting this year. Apple's new vision pro AR headset is just an example of the world we are headed towards and will Affinity still be around? 

AR capability will eventually be a 'must have' feature for some & an "I don't need or want it' one for others. I think the same will continue to be true for AI-powered features in apps like the Affinity ones for years to come.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AR capability will eventually be a 'must have' feature for some & an "I don't need or want it' one for others. I think the same will continue to be true for AI-powered features in apps like the Affinity ones for years to come.

It's already a fake world so additional fakery (Ai) is just going to give the existing fakery that wow factor and nothing will stop it nay sayers be damned, BladeRunner here we come. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

It's already a fake world so additional fakery (Ai) is just going to give the existing fakery that wow factor and nothing will stop it nay sayers be damned, BladeRunner here we come. 

We are not all lemmings. Some will reject fakery & those who use it, some will not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

We are not all lemmings. Some will reject fakery & those who use it, some will not.

Yup I'm in the not lemmings camp, just like I was with Convid but Ai may have a place but at the moment they are pushing the hell out of it, bet the soon to be Ai billioniares are rubbing their hands with glee at all the Ai gimps.

AI is a remarkable code that has been around even before its current popularity. It leverages and rearranges existing information to produce extraordinary outcomes, serving as a valuable tool for our requirements. The truth is straightforward: if you believe AI can replace you as a data entry employee, it suggests you were a problem solver rather than a true professional. True professionals will continue to thrive because they possess skills and abilities that AI cannot replicate. If a task doesn't require human intervention, it was merely a trivial undertaking rather than a substantial job. AI will streamline and eliminate areas where we previously benefited economically but lacked genuine employment opportunities. Some companies are now able to save significant amounts of money by leveraging AI, rendering certain positions obsolete, which is ultimately positive. Individuals no longer needed for tasks that AI can handle can transition to meaningful jobs that require uniquely human capabilities. It's crucial for all of us to acknowledge this reality; otherwise, we may find ourselves despondent while others succeed.

Have you tried the chatgbt? You are aware that one of the creators of the recent AI, Musk,(X.AI), states that he is very concerned. The AI technology falling into the hands of the wrong people, (think current US mess), will have devastating consequences on the population. AI already has the ability to do things we wished it never would. AI can out think, come up with solutions, before a human can begin to process the problem.

Yes AI for creative art is nice, but that's not what it was developed for. If you think it was you're very naive. Just like most all social media used today, FB, Twitter, Google, ect, were all created and developed by D.A.R.P.A. Why would they have any interest in social media platforms? 

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Well, even AI is actually everywhere too much overhyped, I can still see some useful usages of it for managing certain boring and always very time consuming IT related tasks. - BTW, when salespeople in IT shops tried to sell me some oh-so-great hardware or software, my first question was always "can it make coffee and wash the car too"?

However personally I'am, as I've already said in some other related theme thread, a big fan of J.A.R.V.I.S. (Just A Rather Very Intelligent System) which later has been replaced by F.R.I.D.A.Y.  (Female Replacement Intelligent Digital Assistant Youth) as an personal assistant. Though I usually don't want have to wear always a helmet or ski goggles, in order to communicate with my assistant and let interesting things and possible solutions shown to me.  😉

AI has implementation and technology wise evolved over time, especially also how or in which context it's used, it depends entirely on human beings here. An AI itself is usually emotionless and has no ethic, so doesn't know right out of the box itself directly what is good or bad, right or false. Therefore, AI of course can also be abused by human beings. - Finally it all depends on how human beings do train and use AI systems overall here and as human beings also tend to do a bunch of mistakes (ethical and more general), AI systems can then do too.