You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Andreas CH said:

Querverweis übernimmt die Namensänderung des Ankers nicht.

Siehe Video

Cross-reference does not take over the name change of the anchor.

See video

Querverweise Namen.wmv

I can't view your video, it doesn't work after downloading, but I forgot to report this bug so thank you for reporting it.

The issue is if you rename an anchor from A to B, the Cross References panel will still show A. It won't refresh if you click Update All or if you save and re-open the document.

The name has no impact on the cross reference - the page number will update if the anchor is moved. It's just confusing. But since adding a cross reference to a paragraph actually inserts an anchor which some users will want to rename to something better, this will be confusing to those users.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Minor bug: Updating cross-references which link to a separate story do not immediately update until you click in the text frame.

In the video, the cross-references page numbers at the top are not part of the linked text frames below.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

• 3 weeks later...

BTW since you're delaying CR to 2.2, you might consider addressing this minor suggestion which is somewhat important and was likely just an oversight.

Cross Reference panel should show source page number: The Cross References panel shows the cross ref name and target page number. ID shows the source page number which I believe is more useful. When I'm viewing my document and there are 10 cross references to "John Smith" I need to know which page each is on, not that they're all pointing to page 123.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

On 4/20/2023 at 1:40 PM, Ash said:

We have made this decision primarily as we have been working on adding better formatting options (as have been requested on these forums) into the feature, but we have not quite managed to get it to a point where we feel it will be releasable in time - and considering all the other great stuff / fixes we have put into 2.1 we don't want to delay the whole of 2.1 because of it.

Awesome news, Ash! Take the time you need … 😀

On 4/21/2023 at 2:43 PM, MikeTO said:

BTW since you're delaying CR to 2.2, you might consider addressing this minor suggestion which is somewhat important and was likely just an oversight.

Cross Reference panel should show source page number: The Cross References panel shows the cross ref name and target page number. ID shows the source page number which I believe is more useful. When I'm viewing my document and there are 10 cross references to "John Smith" I need to know which page each is on, not that they're all pointing to page 123.

Just to be clear, the panel currently shows the evaluated cross-reference text. That could be the page number, or it could be the content of the paragraph or "above/below". For the name we show the name of the target anchor. InDesign seems to show a partially-evaluated text, with page numbers showing as # but with the content of the target paragraph.

5 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Just to be clear, the panel currently shows the evaluated cross-reference text. That could be the page number, or it could be the content of the paragraph or "above/below". For the name we show the name of the target anchor. InDesign seems to show a partially-evaluated text, with page numbers showing as # but with the content of the target paragraph.

I would find seeing the source page number more useful than the destination page number for xref-ing anchors because if I have multiple xrefs to the same anchor the panel looks like this.

313741291_Screenshot2023-04-25at9_21_38AM.png.5f5297d6e78394ada0cffa8ace37537d.png

I don't have ID installed to verify but its help system says to click the xref's page number in the panel to go to the source and the green icon to go to the destination. I checked an old CreativePro article which demonstrated this.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

While using the 2.1 betas with cross references, I found myself adopting the routine of updating all cross references, updating the index, saving, and closing the file. If I'd inserted the TOC already I'd do that, too. I will write a script to automate this when scripting is available, but perhaps it might be nice to have a menu command to update cross references, TOCs, and the index at the same time for those who don't use scripts? These three things always need to be manually updated and it would be convenient to have a single command to update them, while still retaining the ability to update them independently.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 7:46 PM, MikeTO said:

While using the 2.1 betas with cross references, I found myself adopting the routine of updating all cross references, updating the index, saving, and closing the file. If I'd inserted the TOC already I'd do that, too. I will write a script to automate this when scripting is available, but perhaps it might be nice to have a menu command to update cross references, TOCs, and the index at the same time for those who don't use scripts? These three things always need to be manually updated and it would be convenient to have a single command to update them, while still retaining the ability to update them independently.

Oh yes, this proposal is really important for many reasons. 
Thank you!

I came across one minor thing with my existing cross references today. Xrefs aren't converted to static page numbers for the public pasteboard. When you copy text containing a xref such as "lorem 123 ipsum" it will paste into other apps as "lorem  ipsum". Apps that support xrefs typically convert the xref to a static number for the public pasteboard.

This is pretty minor since the page number is useless out of context but another alternative would be to insert something like # or another symbol.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Cross Reference can show the wrong page as value" (REF: AFB-7501) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1857".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.