You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poor quality when logo exported as PNG, SVG

Hi,

I created a logo for a client in designer, looks great in the PDF version, but all the pngs, jpgs or svgs I export look slightly jaggy.

I thought maybe it was the font I used, but the leaf graphic I drew in designer is also exhibiting the same issues. 

Any ideas how to fix this issue as I've never encountered this before - could it be associated with the latest update?

I'm using version 1.10.6.1665

Meliora Logo Medium 300px.png

6 minutes ago, Little Owl said:

all the pngs, jpgs or svgs I export look slightly jaggy.

They are likely not pixel aligned.

View > View Mode > Pixels preview
You may also want to turn on pixels as document unit, Force pixel alignment snapping, use and snap to a 1-pixel subdivision grid, set Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places > Pixels: 6 (to see the actual misalgned values in the Transform panel), etc.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm not greatly familiar with all the settings you have suggested, so any further clarification would be appreciated.

In View > View Mode > I don't see ant pixels preview option - see screen shot.

I have the document unit set to pixels.

I set decimal places - pixels to 6 in my user interface.

I have turned on 'force pixel alignment snapping', I have 'move by whole pixels' turned off. - is that correct?

In the drop down in that snapping group - the settings are currently as per attached screen shot.

view mode.JPG

snapping.JPG

Use the View > View Mode > Pixels.

Also, what size is that logo, and are you viewing it at 100% zoom or are you zoomed in? Pixel images will always have more pixelization when you zoom in above their natural size.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The attached logo is the size it says in the file name, I export the image at different pixel sizes as PNG or SVG (which is vector so shouldn't pixelate) for the client to use in various media, but this particular logo unlike others I have done when added to a website for example at the correct pixel size if PNG or as an SVG is still jaggy as explained.

Any chance you can upload the actual Affnity file?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Are there any effects or adjustments applied to any part of the file or is it purely vector & text objects?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/8/2022 at 4:02 AM, Little Owl said:

View > View Mode > I don't see ant pixels preview option - see screen shot.

It is shown in your own screenshot, including the Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Y

Safari - 11. Dec 2022 at 00:02.pdf

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

20 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:
On 12/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, Little Owl said:

View > View Mode > I don't see ant pixels preview option - see screen shot.

It is shown in your own screenshot, including the Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Y

Walt already mentioned that earlier, although not about the shortcut.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, Little Owl said:

Thanks for the replies - I have uploaded the file in my reply above, so any suggestions to get this to export as PNG & SVG & not be jaggy would be appreciated. :) 

I don't have the font you used installed on my Mac, but using my default to Arial, I get a clean, 'jag-free' SVG export. PNG is a raster format so it will never be completely free of anti-alias effects.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't have the font you used installed on my Mac, but using my default to Arial, I get a clean, 'jag-free' SVG export. PNG is a raster format so it will never be completely free of anti-alias effects.

That's odd as even the leaf is a bit jaggy in the SVG for me & the client. Could you attach your version so I can compare?

8 minutes ago, Little Owl said:

Could you attach your version so I can compare?

TEST Meliora Logo.svg

Affinity Photo 

Thanks, I'm still seeing some jaggy in the white strip inside the leaves on both your version & mine.

Can anyone expand on what Loukash said below regards not being pixel aligned? See my reply to him top of thread to see what settings I have.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, loukash said:

They are likely not pixel aligned.

View > View Mode > Pixels preview
You may also want to turn on pixels as document unit, Force pixel alignment snapping, use and snap to a 1-pixel subdivision grid, set Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places > Pixels: 6 (to see the actual misalgned values in the Transform panel), etc.

Pixel alignment won't help much, as the curves aren't specific to pixels in the leaves.

The best "solution" to this problem is resampling, which adds exaggerations to the curves such that eyes see less of the immediate pixelation and focus more on the edges as a function of shape.

This an old trick... export the image at much larger size than desired, then in an image editor with good resampling (the other brands) you shrink it back to the size you actually want, and get results like below, where the 500x500 from Affinity is on the left, and the resampled from 4000x4000 down to 500x500 is done in a rival you probably know the name of.

Zoomed in like this, you can see the exaggerations that help the eye see things as sharper and more distinct, that come about as a result of this resampling:

image.thumb.png.fa825540bb1e3b2ced9ee05f2a70bb5b.png

13 minutes ago, Little Owl said:

I am still trying to find out why it is not clear.

Could you show me a graphic in a comparable size that you think is "good"? The graphic doesn't have to be yours, just to understand your claim to quality.

Thanks to DeepL.

The logo contains elements that are particularly susceptible to looking pixelated — narrow cursive font, small text, and shapes (leaves) with short arcs and narrow gaps (the veins down the middle).

Optimizing the appearance may require editing each logo size individually, and nudging elements a fraction of a pixel.

Rather than exporting multiple sizes from one master graphic, I’d recommend creating artboards for each required size (or you could create separate files) so you can view the artwork in pixel view (View > View Mode > Pixels), and make any adjustments necessary to minimize the appearance of aliasing as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

The logo contains elements that are particularly susceptible to looking pixelated — narrow cursive font, small text, and shapes (leaves) with short arcs and narrow gaps (the veins down the middle).

Optimizing the appearance may require editing each logo size individually, and nudging elements a fraction of a pixel.

Rather than exporting multiple sizes from one master graphic, I’d recommend creating artboards for each required size (or you could create separate files) so you can view the artwork in pixel view (View > View Mode > Pixels), and make any adjustments necessary to minimize the appearance of aliasing as much as possible.

I appreciate your help, I have created a 450px wide artboard & copy pasted the logo.

Viewed in pixel view - it looks a mess. I added a rectangle to compare & it's crisp as anything. I drew a shape with the pencil tool & filled it - jaggy. Why?

Here is a screen shot at 200% so you can see what I mean.

pixel view at 200%.JPG

If it’s a bitmap rather than a vector output, it’s going to eventually be pixilated. That is not a problem for publishing online like a website. If you are publishing hard copy like a business card then send the printer the pdf. If the leaf is a low res bitmap then it will be simple enough to draw as a vector in ADe

Its just physics. Your text is extremely small, strokes of letters are just 1-2px wide. As these small lines get stretched over multiple pixels, anti-aliasing kicks in and produced what you call jaggyness.

The only way to get sharper looking result is to increase resolution / document size.

Or you can try to use bitmap fonts, and carefully choose correct pixel aligned exact position and size

https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/readme/

Below an example using such a font - crisp when done right.

6943C443-A163-46E9-9A71-B4B7B3EB0202.png