You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poor quality when logo exported as PNG, SVG

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Well, i proposed both options in one post and gave the constraints:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/175883-poor-quality-when-logo-exported-as-png-svg/&do=findComment&comment=1015025

1. coverage maps are unavailable on iPad
  2. Coverage maps have an unfixed bug which is even visible in the tutorial video you linked at timecode 09:03-09:04. play starting about 09:00. The instant second James is adding a node at the coverage map, the anti-aliasing rendering changes - even if the node stays at the default position. It is expected that the rendering changes if the node is moved to a different place. But if the node is just created on the existing linear curve, it is a bug. I assume it is wrong / superfluous gamma correction. The coverage map UI is “re-used” from brush pressure profile (saved profiles even showed up there), and there it works on RGB channels, not on alpha specifically.

Yes, I saw your initial comment. FWIW, I just reported a bug relating to pixel view not showing pixels, so yes, there's definitely too many QA issues within Affinity.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year & thank you for your replies.

I'm trying to achieve the quality I want in my logos & still struggling & unfortunately Serif Support have not been very helpful - they just tell me my files contain non vector graphics.

QUESTION: If I create a line drawing using the designer pen or brush tool how do I get it to export as vector so it's clear like the text portion is in PDF etc??

22 minutes ago, Little Owl said:

QUESTION: If I create a line drawing using the designer pen or brush tool how do I get it to export as vector so it's clear like the text portion is in PDF etc??

The Pen Tool creates vector object that export as vector. The Brush Tool is raster and there’s no way to covert raster to vector during export. For logos, it’s best to stick with the vector tools so the logo is scalable… i.e., I’d advise staying away from the Brush Tool. 

6 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

The Pen Tool creates vector object that export as vector. The Brush Tool is raster and there’s no way to covert raster to vector during export. For logos, it’s best to stick with the vector tools so the logo is scalable… i.e., I’d advise staying away from the Brush Tool. 

Thanks Brian, is the pencil tool also vector?

23 minutes ago, Little Owl said:

Thanks Brian, is the pencil tool also vector?

Yes, the Pencil Tool is vector. And I should have been more clear in my previous comment, there is a Vector Brush Tool in Designer… I assumed you referring to the Paint Brush Tool, which may not have been the case.

You can tell an object is vector by the blue line (path) that is the shape of the object that has nodes (white squares/circles) along the path.

Vector paths:

2B99A108-6583-4F2F-9CFA-98F828FEA4DD.png.96424c7525ee176112f7d67b65d7831d.png

1 hour ago, Little Owl said:

To begin with, you must export it to a format that supports vector objects, which means you cannot export to bitmap only formats like JPEG, GIF, or PNG.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

Yes, the Pencil Tool is vector. And I should have been more clear in my previous comment, there is a Vector Brush Tool in Designer… I assumed you referring to the Paint Brush Tool, which may not have been the case.

You can tell an object is vector by the blue line (path) that is the shape of the object that has nodes (white squares/circles) along the path.

Vector paths:

2B99A108-6583-4F2F-9CFA-98F828FEA4DD.png.96424c7525ee176112f7d67b65d7831d.png

Thanks Brian. I just remade the portion of one of the logos I had issues with using the pen tool & it looks clear now. I found some odd stuff happening in that it had somehow grouped a portion of the text to the image. Totally weird.