You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

I feel I must echo the sentiments of the OP.

I purchased the V2 suite thinking I would get a normal installer and I could choose which folder to install the software into.

I purchased direct from Serif because I don't like the windows store. If I did, I would have purchased from there and I would not be on here writing this complaint.

For the love of all that's holy, give us a normal installer please Serif.

Best,

Shad.

Add me to the list of people not happy with this change. I have 4 licenses and was about to purchase the new version when I noticed this change. I have put my purchase on hold. I don't like the App Store system as I store my applications in different folders based on their purpose. Please give us a regular installation.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

We already have app execution aliases installed to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

You can call those from the command line or from other applications.

Those are (with changing the username to my own)  not working "System can´t access that file" .

3DCGL64_4WcsnWALE9.png.979fee62cc3ba40f6d7dbc4110402450.png

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

6 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Which app is showing that error? 

3DCoat
3dcoat.com

But I can confirm that those install aliases work with Blenders Image Editor linking. (Edit Externally as well as "Screen Grab" Feature with quick Edit   and Apply.

11 minutes ago, myclay said:

3DCoat
3dcoat.com

But I can confirm that those install aliases work with Blenders Image Editor linking. (Edit Externally as well as "Screen Grab" Feature with quick Edit   and Apply.

Sounds like a bug report needs filing with the developers of 3DCoat. I’m happy to assist if they need any help or info. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Which app is showing that error? 

- camerabits Photo Mechanic Plus,

- DxO Photolab 5

show the Error "System can´t access that file"

Capture One (version 21) shows all the V2 Affinity Apps correct, but does not send any file to the app.

Edited by bildbaendiger

13 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Sorry if I’m missing something here, but what “installs”? Is this an error from another app? 

Ok, after I download the photo app, designer app or the publisher app, I hit install.  I assume the install selection is going to install the App.  After the app installs, that dialog box pops up.  Every Affinity V2 App.  Every time I try to re- install it

16 hours ago, rayhal said:

I own my PC, it is not a phone or a tablet and I want to control what goes on the PC and where it goes. I didn't spend time setting up partitions and drivers for fun. I have a particular drive for programs and that is where they go or they don't get installed - end of!

I concur. I was about to purchase v2 and then discovered threads like these. I won't have anything to do with the Microsoft store or Windows Apps. Waiting to see if a regular .exe or .msi will become available.

Does anyone have the same problem as me?

Opening a 24mpx RAW :
affinity 2 = 25 sec
affinity 1 = almost instantaneous

Just after opening with affinity 2: (RAW)
any slider = effective after 7 sec

(Recent PC 16GB RAM SSD etc...)

16 minutes ago, Rallyz said:

Another vote for a standard installer. I can't install .msix on Windows 8.1 (yes, I know ...).

Hoping this will be sorted soon, otherwise I'll have to ask for a refund before the 14 days is up.

The installer isn’t the problem here - unfortunately we don’t support Windows 8.1 (the minimum we support is Windows 10 May 2020 update). If you can’t update your OS I suggest you seek a refund. Sorry. 

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

The installer isn’t the problem here - unfortunately we don’t support Windows 8.1 (the minimum we support is Windows 10 May 2020 update). If you can’t update your OS I suggest you seek a refund. Sorry. 

Windows 10 home, 22H2 here.

Is there a path to resolution you can suggest?

23 minutes ago, Corgi said:

I concur. I was about to purchase v2 and then discovered threads like these. I won't have anything to do with the Microsoft store or Windows Apps. Waiting to see if a regular .exe or .msi will become available.

I can tell you that many developers are starting to use MSIX even when Microsoft wont allow the installer to ask for a drive/location to install to because you need to change that for all new apps in windows settings which is stupid that microsoft did it this way but that way they can make sure you dont install the application to a directory (or multiple directories) where the windows "sandboxing" would break and cause security issues or worse you causing your whole user directory be sandboxed breaking the user account completely. 

I dont like the MSIX format because its a Microsoft Store format and may break at any point due to changes Microsoft makes to windows or their store software so a "legacy exe/msi" would be great for installing in these cases and for installing to a different directory and for the Enterprise users with high security limits on their systems also offline activation would be great but i understand that it is a piracy prevention thing to have one time online activation (unlimited activations but only needed to be done once per install).  (I will use the V2.0 software but i hate that i had to enable the dreaded windows store to install the software eww)

49 minutes ago, Danel said:

Does anyone have the same problem as me?

Opening a 24mpx RAW :
affinity 2 = 25 sec
affinity 1 = almost instantaneous

Just after opening with affinity 2: (RAW)
any slider = effective after 7 sec

(Recent PC 16GB RAM SSD etc...)

Yes, not as drastic, but v2 is about twice slower than v1 when dealing with RAW, not just opening but also HDR merge or tone map.
(older PC with 8 GB RAM here)

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

We already have app execution aliases installed to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

You can call those from the command line or from other applications.

One step forward - but I would never look there - and one of those folders is hidden (system folder), right?

How would we find it?

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Just copy "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\", replace <username> with your user name, paste it into the windows explorer address bar and press enter, then you''re in th right directory

And yes you're right, "AppData" is a hidden directory

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Sounds like a bug report needs filing with the developers of 3DCoat. I’m happy to assist if they need any help or info. 

I narrowed the issue down a bit, I got it working via : renaming the msix to zip, unzipping it and using the path to that unzipped exe.

As long as the properly installed and original msix Version is open and running, The I/O  will go now straight to the msix program.
3DCoat will now sent the files as it did before in V1 now with V2.