Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Danel said:

Does anyone have the same problem as me?

Opening a 24mpx RAW :
affinity 2 = 25 sec
affinity 1 = almost instantaneous

Just after opening with affinity 2: (RAW)
any slider = effective after 7 sec

(Recent PC 16GB RAM SSD etc...)

Yes, the first thing I noticed was that it takes a long time to open a raw file.   That's going to be a problem at times.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The installer isn’t the problem here - unfortunately we don’t support Windows 8.1 (the minimum we support is Windows 10 May 2020 update). If you can’t update your OS I suggest you seek a refund. Sorry. 

That's a great shame. I guess I'll just stick with v1. Have sent an email for a refund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

Yes, the first thing I noticed was that it takes a long time to open a raw file.   That's going to be a problem at times.   

Perhaps try disabling Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) in Preferences, Performance and see if that helps? (Assuming it's on, of course.)

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 22H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 22H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.6 (.1665) and 2.1.0 and 2.1.0. beta/ Affinity Designer 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.1.0  and 2.1.0 beta / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.1.0  and 2.1.0beta
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

      Affinity Photo 1.10.7 and 2.1.0 and 2.1.0 beta/ Affinity Designer 1.10.7 and 2.1.0 and 2.1.0 beta/ Affinity Publisher 2.1.0 and 2.1.0 beta

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the utmost respect for Serif, and coming from a software engineering background (since 1983), I understand the developing and marketing realities, but this is a fiasco. Some of their customers -- myself included -- are willing to jump through hoops to install software, yet this is literally the first program that I've been unable to install on this Win10 installation. I can't remember anything like this in any Windows software since forever, it's more akin to mounting an unsupported CD drive in 1990's Linux. If the trial worked as well as V1, I would purchase all three, as I have no problem with their business model of, y'know, trying to make money.

I need professional software, not apps; apps are something other people use in the bathroom. Affinity was a great bargain for professionalesque software, but it's grossly overpriced for a few "apps" -- it's a perception faceplant. Plus, I don't want anything that updates without explicit, unambiguous permission.

Serif goes to impressive lengths to link into a "studio", yet throws a grenade into the entire concept of workflow -- in lieu of a DAM (which I don't much care about), have they even bothered to contact FastStone, et al. so their files are even recognized as image files? It isn't absolutely necessary for FastStone to display a thumbnail, but as of 7.7 & Affinity V1, it doesn't even show an icon, so a folder full of .afphoto files shows as empty. I guess the question many are asking, who are Affinity products even aimed at now?

This is not a request for help, as the easiest workaround for testing is to create a Win10/11 Hyper-V VM and install it there. You'll likely have to use a unregistered installation, if you don't have a spare Windows license just sitting around, but it works.

Finally, how much app-specific Telemetry is now going on, and is Serif the recipient, by any means whatsoever, when the Send Crash Info box is not checked?

Consider this post Tough Love💔, as if I didn't like Serif, I would not have posted at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to watch what apps are installed on my SSD.

Installing v2 doesn't allow me to install to another hard drive.

Tried the suggested "Setting" change to change location of content, but still installs to SSD.

WHY DID YOU CHANGE THIS. I HATE IT!!!!

You just pulled an Adobe stunt. That's why I ditched them. Trying to do APP things on a PC is A BIG NO NO!!!!

I guess if there is no solution. I am getting a refund and going back to v1.

Or I may just go back to CorelDraw or Inkscape and ditch you too.

Seriously... what who thought to do this!?

Now how do change my install location since there is no EXE???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ChopperNova said:

Serif goes to impressive lengths to link into a "studio", yet throws a grenade into the entire concept of workflow -- in lieu of a DAM (which I don't much care about), have they even bothered to contact FastStone, et al. so their files are even recognized as image files? It isn't absolutely necessary for FastStone to display a thumbnail, but as of 7.7 & Affinity V1, it doesn't even show an icon, so a folder full of .afphoto files shows as empty.

I've used (and liked) FastStone for more than a decade. When I switched to Linux a few years ago, I tried XnView MP (http://www.xnview.com and found it pretty much equals FS on most counts. Now I'm back on Windows (11) again and have both installed but I have to admit I use XnView more. But they're very close.

I say that as a suggestion in the interim (maybe beyond?) until FastStone gets back into the Affinity Photo fold. All I had to do was add the afphoto extension into my custom filters and it's worked.

29 minutes ago, ChopperNova said:

I guess the question many are asking, who are Affinity products even aimed at now?

Remember a product line called Corel? They started great and went down the toilet (IMO) by virtually ignoring professionals and going after scrapbookers. I genuinely hope that's not happening now. Actually, I don't see any signs of it, just maybe a miscue of sorts. Let's hope they get it worked out.

Len
Affinity Photo 2.x | QCAD 3.x | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  GIMP  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
...vainly looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also sharing my disappointment with the whole app installer situation.

Dangerous choices like this go against the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" way of thinking which your userbase loves and respects.

The installer should have worked in the same manner as V1 - a simple .exe that installs to the accessible location of X:\Program Files\

 

Edit: - Based on this and a couple of other gripes, especially regarding performance/stability, I will sadly not be purchasing V2 at this time (even with the deep discount). I do hope to support Serif soon given changes are made.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to believe Serif will be able to put together a standard Windows installer as an option. 

There's just no benefit to users from this "app" business.  In fact I agree with other posters who say that calling this big powerful software an "app" just cheapens its image.  

At this point I've had to turn off Windows Ransomware Protection to use V2, and  I'm not at all happy about that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, myclay said:

I narrowed the issue down a bit, I got it working via : renaming the msix to zip, unzipping it and using the path to that unzipped exe.

As long as the properly installed and original msix Version is open and running, The I/O  will go now straight to the msix program.
3DCoat will now sent the files as it did before in V1 now with V2.

Thanks. This got me working in a way that I can test properly. Note, you don't need to run the original one for this to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, despite some sage advice from other people l still can't get it to work with DXO Photolab on my Windows 11 system. I even took steps to take ownership/control of the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder and sub folders and can now browse to the Photo.exe file in the PL export dialogue box- still doesn't work.

I've wasted too much time trying to get a workaround; I'm not wasting any more. I'll give it ONE week to see what Serif come up with. I suspect the answer will be nothing as Serif seem very swift to place the responsibility for a fix on other organisations. If no official fix I'll get my refund and go back to Photoshop and their constant payment system; a route l'd prefer not to go down. It's why l switched to Affinity a few years back.

 

Thank you to everyone who contributed in this thread.

 

Chris

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ChrisON said:

Well, despite some sage advice from other people l still can't get it to work with DXO Photolab on my Windows 11 system. I even took steps to take ownership/control of the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder and sub folders and can now browse to the Photo.exe file in the PL export dialogue box- still doesn't work.

I've wasted too much time trying to get a workaround; I'm not wasting any more. I'll give it ONE week to see what Serif come up with. I suspect the answer will be nothing as Serif seem very swift to place the responsibility for a fix on other organisations. If no official fix I'll get my refund and go back to Photoshop and their constant payment system; a route l'd prefer not to go down. It's why l switched to Affinity a few years back.

 

Thank you to everyone who contributed in this thread.

 

Chris

 

I'll join the club of 'wasted too much time' so I'll stay with V1 and when that stops meeting my needs I'll just bite the bullet and go back to PS. I may even take a peek at Corel again - forgot about them. There shouldn't be this many posts regarding installation problems and other programs not being able to access a secure folder unless you reduce security levels - something I refuse to do. For folks (at this stage) needing to run a *.bat file which may or may not work is frankly ridiculous. 

I also find it amateurish for Affinity to try to 'blame' MSoft for this - total nonsense. 

Anyway, enough of this as got better things to do. I wish those continuing to use V2 all the best and if it works for you then good. But for me enough is enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serif, what the frick? Literally show me ONE user post saying "hey I wish the programs installed as apps so I have absolutely no control over anything on my pc and wish my programs don't even work". This is exactly what we mean when we say you don't listen to your community - you don't implement features they want, you implement ones you "think" we want. This "you think you do but you don't" mentality will not serve you well - it will repulse your userbase and they will go to the competing suites instead, as we have seen a lot of people in this thread have already done. Every basic feature you don't have, but your competition does is a reason for a user to switch over. And instead of implementing those basic features, you waste time and resources implementing what is essentially stripping the control your users have over their OWN software and OS, following in Microsoft's horrible example. This is a huge no-no. I don't think I'll be buying V2 any time soon either.

 

I think the real reason they did this is DRM, but here is a reality check - people will find a way to pirate your software either way. Making regular users suffer for it is a terrible practice, because it will push more of them to pirate it without the horrible DRM you put in. I have diasabled Windoze Store on all my windows installations, so I'm not even able to try out your demo so I can decide if I want to buy it, how is that a good marketing practice?! And think of the linux users that have been asking for Linux support all these years, and instead you just shove the software deeper in Micro$oft's clutches, so they have even less of a chance to emulate it.

 

I honestly hope you can see how much this change hurts your software and give us a regular exe installer. Otherwise I fear Affinity V2 will flop spectacularly, which is would be a shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are benefits for Windows Apps.

Apps are installed in userspace so an installation can be performed even when not having local admin rights. This was always a disturbing task when I had to distribute new versions on the pc's of my team members as I'm the only one with local admin rights in my team. These problems will be gone with the msix version. And additionally there is the option for distributed and automatic updates for apps.

The msix install files are digitally signed, so you can be sure that they come from serif and aren't manipulated by anyone. That's a major security advantage.

But I also see the problem of people loosing some freedom with not being able to choose the install path and not finding the app location in the places they used to find programs for the last 25 years. And of course sideloading modern apps is sometimes blocked by corporate IT that isn't up to date with their policy adjustment.

It would be great, if Serif could just release both - the msix and the regular setup - so everyone would be happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Imonobor said:

I think the real reason they did this is DRM, but here is a reality check - people will find a way to pirate your software either way. Making regular users suffer for it is a terrible practice, because it will push more of them to pirate it without the horrible DRM you put in. I have diasabled Windoze Store on all my windows installations, so I'm not even able to try out your demo so I can decide if I want to buy it, how is that a good marketing practice?! And think of the linux users that have been asking for Linux support all these years, and instead you just shove the software deeper in Micro$oft's clutches, so they have even less of a chance to emulate it.

 

Interesting point as our visiting IT guy disabled the Store on all of the Win10 PC's - apart from mine as I'm the boss. So we'll stay with V1.

Funny how Adobe and Corel (yes they are still going) installs to the Program Files directory but Affinity are trying to convince folks that they had no choice. So please Affinity/Serif cease treating your customers as though they are dummies. There are too many experienced contributors around here so stop digging. Just man up - we made a mistake - here's the *.exe file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad I see this before updating. I've not been a great fan of the Affinity products, just for the fact it went backwards from the old Page Plus versions but willing to wait for it to catch up and become more usable and less irritating. This however is just another step backwards so I guess my relationship with Serif has finally come to an end. Such a shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Created an account to comment on this.

It's bizzare that only MSIX setups are being provided.  I don't like having very limited and rigid control over installation paths and I don't see the benefit, at least not as a standalone user. If I wanted an app style install I'd have purchased it from the Microsoft store.

I've been using Affinity programs for years and like what Serif have been doing, but without any further context this just seems like a change for the sake of change and completely unnecessary. I don't see what any reason could be for not providing an exe installer, especially since there's already one that works pefectly fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I, like so many of you, am also very disappointed with the route Serif took for its programs.
I also encountered few problems after installing new apps, like lack of shortcuts for example, or difficulties to add .exe files to other programs.

The solution that might work for all of you is:
download msix file of your desired program,
extract it (unzip it) to a folder using 7-zip,
go to that folder, your .exe file should be located in App subfolder.

Run the program like you would normally.


It did work for me.
I was able to place that folder to any directory, create shortcuts and connect external programs to use Affinity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Add me to the group that will not buy V2 until a standard installer, either an exe or msi, file is available. This is a move that hurts consumers. Oh and to the guy above talking about security when deploying msix compared to msi - get a better admin because you can easily check the authenticity of a file and deploy it to users without having to use admin rights on their end with an msi file

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jpmb76 said:

I, like so many of you, am also very disappointed with the route Serif took for its programs.
I also encountered few problems after installing new apps, like lack of shortcuts for example, or difficulties to add .exe files to other programs.

The solution that might work for all of you is:
download msix file of your desired program,
extract it (unzip it) to a folder using 7-zip,
go to that folder, your .exe file should be located in App subfolder.

Run the program like you would normally.


It did work for me.
I was able to place that folder to any directory, create shortcuts and connect external programs to use Affinity.

 

It'll work until there's an update. Then everything needs repeating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.