You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

I posted a rant about this issue in another thread before seeing this thread.

There is an easy way Affinity could fix this problem while still keeping the Windows App architecture.

Install as a Windows App, but then create stub executables that contain only the relevant icon in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe. This stub executable will simply exec the real executable located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\<mangled name>\App\Photo.exe. The installation can also create a normal program group in the start menu as well as desktop links, at the option of the user.

This method will also allow Affinity2 to integrate into the workflow of other software in the same was as Affinity1 does, since they'll be able to call a normal executable.

Every time there is a new software release, the installer should update the stub executable as well, so that it points to the new location, since that will change. We'd then have an app that behaves nicely both in the normal windows desktop experience as well as in this crippled Windows App model

I just reinstalled Windows 11 a few days ago. As usual, I nuked the app store. I do not use apps.

Purchased without knowing I'd be sent an app. After seeing this, I decided to give it a shot anyway instead of immediately asking for a refund.

Install fails, of course. The problem was that the installer would halt because updating firewall rules wouldn't work while my Windows Defender Firewall service wasn't functioning. Why in god's name do I have to troubleshoot a firewall service to install a photo editor? Because app.

Of course the solution was to add permissions to the registry key for the BFE service. When you are changing registry key permissions, something is not right in the world. You have taken a wrong turn. So then everything appears to be running fine. But I run into another issue. If I have an .afphoto file open (not a raw) and I click the File menu, the "app" immediately crashes. That's where I am now.

The one and only reason I switched from Adobe to Affinity is that I deeply resent Adobe's abuse of my property. I do not want ridiculous spyware that reaches its tentacles into every corner of my systems and constantly phones home. It looks like Affinity will be adopting the same model that places user needs last.

4 hours ago, nezumi said:

If thats the case and you can simply Unzip it and run normally then... I see zero benefits from making it windows app.

I thought it could help limit piracy or make it harder but if all you have to do is unzip it... 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Well, you still have to register it to start using it, but there is a workaround that could permit you to work on trial version for unlimited time.

I see some comments about Affinity not being a professional software.

To those who say that, I have a question.

What makes a piece of software a professional software?

I use Affinity Suite for work and the problem I have with it is not the ability to integrate it with FastStone, DXO or any other program, but the fact that i no longer can (by defaut) set up my graphics tablet shortcuts for Affinity. I could of course set the shortcuts globally and not per app basis but that greatly affects my workflow in negative way.

So yes, going the app route is no go for me. Sure I did find the solution but that's not the point.

I, as a user, paying user for that matter,  shouldn't be looking for workarounds just to use the software the way I want to use it.

4 hours ago, rvst said:

I posted a rant about this issue in another thread before seeing this thread.

There is an easy way Affinity could fix this problem while still keeping the Windows App architecture.

Install as a Windows App, but then create stub executables that contain only the relevant icon in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe. This stub executable will simply exec the real executable located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\<mangled name>\App\Photo.exe. The installation can also create a normal program group in the start menu as well as desktop links, at the option of the user.

This method will also allow Affinity2 to integrate into the workflow of other software in the same was as Affinity1 does, since they'll be able to call a normal executable.

Every time there is a new software release, the installer should update the stub executable as well, so that it points to the new location, since that will change. We'd then have an app that behaves nicely both in the normal windows desktop experience as well as in this crippled Windows App model

That would probably work to help with the workflow problems. But it wouldn't solve the big issue I, and apparently others, have with the software going where IT wants to go on the PC instead of going where I want it to go. That is simply unacceptable for me and going by the forums I'm not the only one.

A quick message to Serif, if you think you can just "wait out the storm", while keeping radio silence, that may be so, but there may be no userbase left after the storm is over.

When there are page-long threads about the same issues everyone is having and everyone is unhappy with your latest choices, I think it's high time you did something about it, or at the very least acknowledge the problem, don't you think?

38 minutes ago, Imonobor said:

A quick message to Serif, if you think you can just "wait out the storm", while keeping radio silence, that may be so, but there may be no userbase left after the storm is over.

When there are page-long threads about the same issues everyone is having and everyone is unhappy with your latest choices, I think it's high time you did something about it, or at the very least acknowledge the problem, don't you think?

Unfortunately the posters/readers on the forum probably represent a small minority of the Affinity user base and we'll probably have no explanation or reasoning as to why Serif went this route. I bought V2 then had to go hunting for the relevant *.exe files so was totally in the dark about the app - I just assumed....... Decided it wasn't for me and got a refund.

On a more positive note, V1 is still performing fine for my needs so whilst I may be a little disappointed, it's certainly not the end of the world. There may be an *.exe file option install released at some stage via the update route (although no one knows of course) but for Serif to openly admit they could have done things better I very much doubt it.

I'm certainly not going to throw toys out of pram over this or loose any sleep and most certainly not going back to Adobe.

7 hours ago, rvst said:

I've mentioned elsewhere that we use "App Execution Alias" to enable this scenario. You can find the aliases in the following location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

Please replace username with your Windows username. Also, those paths are already in your %PATH% variable so you can launch them without even specifying the full path, e.g. AffinityPhoto2.exe.

Thanks Mark although I'm sure most posters/readers of this forum will be aware of the install path(s) by now. From memory there is or was not any mention of this during the actual install process. So many users who do not visit these parts will be left in the dark and no doubt possibly highly frustrated.

Anyway, V2 is what it is and it is of course entirely an individual choice whether to live with it or revert back to V1 as I have done.

2 minutes ago, mb6391 said:

Thanks Mark although I'm sure most posters/readers of this forum will be aware of the install path(s) by now. From memory there is or was not any mention of this during the actual install process. So many users who do not visit these parts will be left in the dark and no doubt possibly highly frustrated.

Anyway, V2 is what it is and it is of course entirely an individual choice whether to live with it or revert back to V1 as I have done.

I think that's a good point. We haven't done a good job of explaining this either in-app or via our help. I'll see that we improve that.

@François R   To see where Affinity Photo has been used I either look at the forum posts in "share your work"
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/10-share-your-work

or within the spotlight site.

https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/tag/game-art/

https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/tag/3d-artist/

more general categories;

https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/category/behind-the-scenes/

https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/category/inspiration/

7 hours ago, nezumi said:

If thats the case and you can simply Unzip it and run normally then... I see zero benefits from making it windows app.

I think that unzipping will break communication between the programs (studio link functionality)
and it will break the sharing of resources between the programs.
so while it works for light one program only  usage, the loss of the broader integration is not so fun.
eh msix is as of now not good.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Can someone explain why an app is better for the end user? I always thought it was for “toy things” like games, not for software that wants to be taken seriously, but I must admit, that’s just the perception I have, it’s not based on any evidence, except for the fact that none of my other professional applications are apps (including MS applications, 3D applications, video editing applications and music applications).

But regardless of perceptions, I’m not clear on how it helps me and I’m reading a lot of drawbacks. I don’t even want to risk installing the trial, it’s looking like a lot of hassle.

I talked about security, trust, companies towards adobe :
I just wanted to say that big companies prefer to deal with other big companies that are well established than with a small creator that tries to join the market, even if the quality of the products does not follow...
A good example is the blind accreditation of the first ibm PCs by the systems men in the big computer rooms, even though this PC was far inferior to what was being done elsewhere.
The downstream was a large group with strong backbone

58 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've mentioned elsewhere that we use "App Execution Alias" to enable this scenario. You can find the aliases in the following location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

Please replace username with your Windows username. Also, those paths are already in your %PATH% variable so you can launch them without even specifying the full path, e.g. AffinityPhoto2.exe.

@Mark Ingram

These "App Execution Alias" do not work for many. They get the error message: "The system cannot access this file." It seems like it's a Windows permission issue.

The following workaround from Camera Bits was the first one that worked for me:

Forum Camera Bits

You bypass the problem with the permissions via a shortcut of the running program.

Maybe this will help others as well.

Thomas

26 minutes ago, AndrewJJP said:

Can someone explain why an app is better for the end user? I always thought it was for “toy things” like games, not for software that wants to be taken seriously.  I’m not clear on how it helps me and I’m reading a lot of drawbacks.

I'm in the don't know camp but there will be someone along shortly that can explain your question. Many companies - Corel, Adobe, etc are offering their products on MS Store - no doubt a marketing exercise and I wouldn't blame them for that. But, and it is a big but, they also offer a regular install via their websites. Where Serif/Affinity have dropped the ball in my eyes is it's an app or nothing requiring in some cases the requirement to compromise security settings or if you've totally disabled MS Store then you're out of luck.

Maybe V2 is a huge improvement over V1 but I guess I'll never get to find out until or if a conventional install program is released.

2 minutes ago, mb6391 said:

I'm in the don't know camp but there will be someone along shortly that can explain your question. Many companies - Corel, Adobe, etc are offering their products on MS Store - no doubt a marketing exercise and I wouldn't blame them for that. But, and it is a big but, they also offer a regular install via their websites. Where Serif/Affinity have dropped the ball in my eyes is it's an app or nothing requiring in some cases the requirement to compromise security settings or if you've totally disabled MS Store then you're out of luck.

Maybe V2 is a huge improvement over V1 but I guess I'll never get to find out until or if a conventional install program is released.

This is what it boils down to me. I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that they went app or nothing. If they'd offer both app and a normal installer I would've already bought the bundle for V2.

Now I'm sticking with V1 Photo and Designer and looking for a publishing program.

4 minutes ago, bildbaendiger said:

@Mark Ingram

These "App Execution Alias" do not work for many. They get the error message: "The system cannot access this file." It seems like it's a Windows permission issue.

The following workaround from Camera Bits was the first one that worked for me:

Forum Camera Bits

You bypass the problem with the permissions via a shortcut of the running program.

Maybe this will help others as well.

Thomas

It is a Windows permissions issue and deliberately so. It is relatively easy to amend these but as mentioned earlier many users I suspect do not visit these forums or read any help files. All they want is a straightforward install process. I use a DAM program with the facility to open the *.jpg or *.raw file in an external program for editing - I'm sure I'm not alone in this. The last thing I need is to be met with a 'cannot access' message. Anyway, just my two cents - V2 is what it is.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

We haven't done a good job of explaining this either in-app or via our help. I'll see that we improve that.

You are right. You haven't done a good job.

First you created a problem, that none of us wanted or asked for, and now you just going to explain to people how to work around this problem.🤣

How about you guys just fix the problem by bringing .exe or. msi installer with install path I can not only choose myself but access without any problems.

Can you do that?

I don't like the way V2 installs. Do not understand why I can no longer choose the installation directory itself.
I do not install programs on "C" (Win).
Should be urgently changed again!!!
I don't understand the sense! Worked fine with the V1 too.

I for one HATE the app route only because of my small SSD drive, I have to limit what I can install on it. That is why I got a refund on v2.

However, I can still use v1 like before, so that is one work around.

Let's be truthful here. v2 is a an okay update, but nothing supper special.
I mean, I like the warp feature in AD, but Inkscape already has a much better implementation to warping.

But, I am deciding to take another new root. As I did with Adobe and going to do with Affinity.
i am turning to free alternatives and then I will delete Affinty from off my pC.

1) Inscape (which has awesome warping functions... better than AD) - replaces Designer
2) Krita or Gimp or Paint.net - replaces Photo
3) Scibus or VivaDesigner - replaces Publisher

The reason I chose Affinity after dumping Adobe was the non-subscription model.
I think the apps were pretty good and stable.

Now, I am not happy that I have to now dump Affinity because of this ridiculous move to "app" structure.
But, I have InkScape, Gimp and Scribus to replace them.

I am mostly a vector guy, and Inkscape is pretty good to.
Now that Inkscape has pages, you can also use inkscape to do DTP.
Inkscape also has Vector Tracing which AD don't.

Its to bad, that another company does dumb stuff like Adobe does dumb stuff.
Just don't understand why companies shoot themselves in the foot and are willing to lose customers over it.
Just don't make sense.

56 minutes ago, xramonx said:

I don't like the way V2 installs. Do not understand why I can no longer choose the installation directory itself.
I do not install programs on "C" (Win).
Should be urgently changed again!!!
I don't understand the sense! Worked fine with the V1 too.

You can change the drive after the app has been installed by going to Installed apps in Windows' Settings:

image.png

On 11/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, user_0815 said:

I do double-clicks (in Photo) to get to the next layer behind the currently selected one. I haven't tried that in Designer though.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, BigOldFixer said:

For me setting the new location for application installs failed - its set to my application drive but still insists on installing to my system drive.

Moving also fails for me - I just get a 0x80073cf6 error and a message to try later.

Happy to sit this out - software uninstalled while I wait for a more traditional installer.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Sorry if I’m missing something here, but what “installs”? Is this an error from another app? 

23 hours ago, John D P said:

I tried this and it works, thanks.

I use V1 and I'm evaluating V2 on 30 day trial. To be honest cost is not a factor in deciding if I'll move to V2. However integration is absolutely critical and the inability to call V2 from DXO etc means I'd not bother to use V2 even if it were a free upgrade. If this work around is a one-off then I'm OK, but if it is required every time there is an upgrade I cannot live with that either. So, I'll wait and see if the matter is addressed in the course of my trial period, or at least an update is released and proves I do not have to keep repeating the work around.

I really want to continue with Affinity, for many reasons I wish them lots of success and I'm very happy to spend my money with them. I'm just so surprised that they've taken this miss-step with V2. Here's hoping they respond rapidly to our feedback.

14 hours ago, JimInFlorida said:

Bravo!

Works great for me so far.  Can even call the program to launch through Faststone, and I assume lightroom.

This may just salvage a lot of returns for V2 for Serif.

Thank you!!

Well, although the Apps ran, I have brush issues.  Going to wait for direction from Serif.