You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BNoolean operation

On perusing through some of the threads I noticed something to do with Boolean operations. I am familiar with some Boolean terminology but have no idea how it applies to vector drawing. Can someone give me a short explanation of how it applies to AD?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

https://vimeo.com/110131937

And some go crazy about non destructive boolean operations :)

...it really is nice, although I´ve never used it jet, but definitely useful :)

MBd, I thought I was the only one that didn't use the non-destructive operations.  Knock on wood, I have never regretted that practice.  :rolleyes:  They seem great, but still...

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hi jackamus,

That's just the general name for the shape operations you can perform with shapes: Add,  Subtract, Intersect, Divide and Combine (the icons you find in the Draw Persona toolbar in the Operations section.

attachicon.gifboolean_operations.png

So it has nothing to do with Boolean algebra! How did the developer's choose this name?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

It's just a convention - in full it should be referred to as 'Boolean Geometry Operations' but people (including myself) often corrupt it to 'boolean operations', 'bool ops' or 'geometry operations'. It's simply being used to convey the idea that you are manipulating your geometry by adding (union), subtracting, intersecting, etc and these are very similar to the things you could achieve with AND, OR, NOT, XOR

• Staff

Can I ask anyone if they've tried using the boolean geometry operations much in the current beta? I spent 3 weeks rewriting lots of it and I'm obviously very scared by the fact I've not heard a dickie-bird about them yet! ;)  I don't know if that means nobody has encountered errors, or if they're so broken that nobody is using them! ;)

(Incidentally, I did try every single file I had that used to fail and they all succeed perfectly now, so I haven't deliberately unleashed a monster on you all, I'd just like some affirmation that I've improved things or not!?!) :)

Hi Matt,

Understood.

It would great if Boolean geometry could be used with groups. How about that?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi Jack,

Do you mean kind of like the 'compound' shape object? If you hold down Alt (Option) when you click the button to Add/Subtract/etc then you'll see that in the Layers panel it has constructed a compound object - it's a hierarchy like a group where the individual objects contribute with their own 'mode' (add/subtract/etc) and can be manipulated freely (or their mode changed) and yet the result is always shown as the result of the operations. Try adding a stroke to the compound object itself and notice it runs around the geometry constructed from the underlying objects as you manipulate them :)

Thanks,

Matt

This sounds like a good move. Although my use of this feature is limited it would seem to make it easier to 'undo'. The number of times I track back and forth to Layer>Geometry>Divide can be quite tedious.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

It will also make it immediately discoverable. As it is now it's hard to know that option is already available in the software.

In my case however it will add a bunch of more clicks to convert everything to flatten shapes in certain types of work. It would be nice to have a way to revert back to the current workflow trough a setting in the Preferences.

+1 for defaulting to non-destructive operations in all affinity apps...

I'm actually quite tempted to make this non-destructive operation the default, to be honest...  :unsure:

A simple Non-destructive mode checkbox in the Context Toolbar should do the trick without having to send the user diving into the app's prefs...

It will also make it immediately discoverable. As it is now it's hard to know that option is already available in the software.

In my case however it will add a bunch of more clicks to convert everything to flatten shapes in certain types of work. It would be nice to have a way to revert back to the current workflow trough a setting in the Preferences.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Can I ask anyone if they've tried using the boolean geometry operations much in the current beta? I spent 3 weeks rewriting lots of it and I'm obviously very scared by the fact I've not heard a dickie-bird about them yet! ;)  I don't know if that means nobody has encountered errors, or if they're so broken that nobody is using them! ;)

(Incidentally, I did try every single file I had that used to fail and they all succeed perfectly now, so I haven't deliberately unleashed a monster on you all, I'd just like some affirmation that I've improved things or not!?!) :)

Here I am with a feedback! :)

I worked on a file with lots paths performing numerous booleans, MAS version was laggy and CPU load close to 100% only selecting and nesting layers.

I switched to Beta and things were far better.

Don't know if it deals with new Boolean implementation yet...  :D

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I'll give the new version a test too. Booleans are a big part of my work flow. A non-destructive workflow would be awesome, as long as it doesn't become a mess once "applied". :-)

Speaking of which, I have yet to "expand" a stroke yet with the new beta... hope to see some improvements there as well.

Cheers Matt for all of the hard work.

Just a question, Ronny … the checkbox idea is great, but I wonder in which Context Toolbar you would like to have the checkbox to be placed. Currently we can invoke Boolean operations from many different tools (as long as at least two shapes stay selected while choosing the tool) … :huh:

I'd say put it on every tool's Context toolbar which allows the user to have two shapes selected and apply a boolean...

This got me thinking about having a dedicated Boolean tool on the palette, which would allow the creation of non-destructive compound shapes via selection and subsequent specification of boolean operator... or perhaps its done via keyboard modifiers (Cmd = Add, Option = Subtract and Cmd + Option = Divide, or something that makes better sense). I guess something like Shape Builder in Illustrator, but better; more intuitive, fluid and non-destructive, more Affinity style...

Just a question, Ronny … the checkbox idea is great, but I wonder in which Context Toolbar you would like to have the checkbox to be placed. Currently we can invoke Boolean operations from many different tools (as long as at least two shapes stay selected while choosing the tool) …  :huh:

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I would vote for a dedicated Boolean tool. Shortcuts are a great help but the more there are the more we have to remember. I use a cheat sheet to remind me of what does what.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.