Jump to content
Zaxx81

UI/UX Design and Prototyping Features

Recommended Posts

Any plans to incorporate some Adobe XD, Sketch, or Figma like features to link animations or states between artboards (which would include a preview to go through the UI/UX)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish they would as well. I prefer to stick all in with the Affinity ecosystem. I also wish that they created the css properties of elements like in PS and AI, but I think I read somewhere they would never do that. Hopefully they offer some sort of prototyping click through a atleast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glicky said:

Animation and UX features is a popular request, and the best suggestion i saw in the forums, was to add an "Animation Persona" in A Designer.

Will be great :) 

I do not understand this. What is the relation between UI design and animation?

Best regards,
d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.531)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dominik said:

I do not understand this. What is the relation between UI design and animation?

Best regards,
d.

UI design can and should account for Micro interactions. These are typically short animations. Thats one reason. The other is for prototyping a layout. Being able to show what your intent is when someone clicks a button.

 

-Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe for version 2.x, as some of this has been talked about by Matt Priestly, Lead Developer for Designer.

Best regards!


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 3DJ said:

UI design can and should account for Micro interactions. These are typically short animations. Thats one reason. The other is for prototyping a layout. Being able to show what your intent is when someone clicks a button.

Hi @3DJ,

thank you for your explanation. I now have an idea what the relation between UI design and animation is (I myself come more from the static layout side of things :) ). I'm not sure if this is part of Serif's plans. Only time will tell. I'll follow this discussion.

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.531)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @3DJ,

thank you for your explanation. I now have an idea what the relation between UI design and animation is (I myself come more from the static layout side of things :) ). I'm not sure if this is part of Serif's plans. Only time will tell. I'll follow this discussion.

d.

Hi @dominik I’ll be interested in what they do. I had hopes that maybe one day they would make an After Effects competitor but I think thats some heavy lifting for anyone to match, but if anyone can Affinity can! I still use affinity Designer on iPad to make my svg’s  and they export perfectly to a great app called Keyshape App on Mac that I can then animate with css for web and other apps. Its a great workflow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 3DJ said:

I had hopes that maybe one day they would make an After Effects competitor but I think thats some heavy lifting for anyone to match, but if anyone can Affinity can! 

I think this is a far call. I see your enthusiasm, so why not dream :)

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.531)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 10:49 AM, 3DJ said:

Hi @dominik I’ll be interested in what they do. I had hopes that maybe one day they would make an After Effects competitor but I think thats some heavy lifting for anyone to match, but if anyone can Affinity can! I still use affinity Designer on iPad to make my svg’s  and they export perfectly to a great app called Keyshape App on Mac that I can then animate with css for web and other apps. Its a great workflow.

I checked out Keyshape after reading your post. It's pretty sweet. It's a slick, small footprint svg animation app that is pretty intuitive and much faster to get rolling in than say After Effects which, after viewing some AE tuts on youtube, can be a pretty deep dive. It doesn't have any interactive features, strictly animation, but fairly easy to get some quick professional results and it outputs to a variety of web and video formats right out of the box and Lottie files as well if you use a free plugin. It also has some simple vector editing capabilities so you can make small adjustments to your shapes right in Keyshape if need be. They have a 14 day full trial, I made a few animations within the time period then bought it for 40 bucks Canadian. Less than the price of 1 month of After Effects... :-)  Until Serif comes up with something similar, ;-) it'll be my "go to" for simple animation work.

So thanks for the heads up 3DJ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting into the UI Design space would be awesome. Could stick within one ecosystem and that would make my face very happy! It would also be cool if symbols went across files. Like I could link a logo from Affinity Designer into my UI design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dedicated UI design tool from Serif would be much more appreciated by designers, who unfortunately have to use Sketch or Adobe XD, Figma, etc.

I would gladly pay for a new UI design and prototyping software to Serif if they could bring this to life in the future.

Just dreaming about a full circle: print, design, photo and prototyping tools under the Affinity umbrella could be a perfect toolbox for any creative professionals.

Affinity Proto could be a game-changer and a disruptor in this arena. 

As I see, there is a huge demand for a non-subscription based prototyping tool in the market.


iOS Swift Developer  SwiftUI Designer and Animator @ SwiftUI Masterclass Course

robert-petras-ios-developer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think it would be nice to have an app actually take full advantage of the hardware you have. The Affinity apps use system resources efficiently and all of their apps have never dipped below 60 fps no matter that I throw at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.