You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Horrible slowdown on Affinity Photo 1.7.0 iPad -- Way to revert back to 1.6?

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro 2nd generation model (2017). 

Have been using Affinity photo v1.6 with the appropriate model apple pencil and it has been perfect, smooth and flawless. Just updated to 1.7 this morning and now making any adjustment (especially inpainting or cloning) is excruciating. Slow. Lagging. Very unpleasant. 

Is there any way to revert back to v 1.6? 

If the fix is to spend $1k + on a current gen iPad pro then that's not much of a solution. 

5 hours ago, msgphoto said:

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro 2nd generation model (2017). 

Have been using Affinity photo v1.6 with the appropriate model apple pencil and it has been perfect, smooth and flawless. Just updated to 1.7 this morning and now making any adjustment (especially inpainting or cloning) is excruciating. Slow. Lagging. Very unpleasant. 

Is there any way to revert back to v 1.6? 

If the fix is to spend $1k + on a current gen iPad pro then that's not much of a solution. 

I’ve seen no such slowdown on my original 9.7” iPad Pro, are you up to date on IOS?.

Have your tried resetting your iPad, on my device, this is done by closing all open apps followed by pressing home and power button continuously until you see Apple logo solves many oddities on iPad applications. On newer devices I think you have to use volume down and power button. Hope this helps.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Thanks, Paul. Yes, I've done the reset/reboot several times, with no improvement. It's curious that it would work well on your first gen iPad Pro, but be laggy on my 2nd gen model. That might rule out the processor speed as the source of the problem? Can the mods / Serif comment on this? 

I should clarify that the app technically works - just that there's a pause between each pen stroke. A couple seconds, perhaps, maybe a second and a half, but it's enough to make me not want to use it. Whereas on v1.6 (yesterday) it was smooth like butter working on the same files. This is a pause before the app reacts to the pen stroke - not the red progress bar you sometimes get for inpainting/cloning a larger area. 

So. . . no way to go back to 1.6? Looking back at the actual backup files on my desktop (which I unfortunately did not sync to very frequently at all) I have a Photo 1.6.2.ipa file -- but disappointingly I believe that version is over a year old. 

A lot of us long time users have older iPads, it would have been  good that more people took up the offer to be customer beta testers especially those with newer devices. It installed alongside existing installation so no work lost. I’m sure Patrick will be here soon with some assistance. @Patrick Connor

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

7 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

A lot of us long time users have older iPads, it would have been  good that more people took up the offer to be customer beta testers especially those with newer devices. It installed alongside existing installation so no work lost. I’m sure Patrick will be here soon with some assistance. @Patrick Connor

Hi Paul, I have the newest and best iPad Pro, you asked me in another post, and I was interested in your comment above.  I didn’t join into the beta program for a reason.  My post about inpaint fill has been completely ignored and has been up for a bit.  I screen recorded that vid and then edited it to just show the length of time and the process that my iPad went through to complete the inpaint fill process.  Generally I try to show in my posts what is happening but also these are not the general processes that most people would do (they are also not the most complex).   

I find the nitpicking of some of the forum member quite disgusting to the point where I now choose to ‘not come to the forum’ unless I am looking for an answer to a problem.  

I have not had a crash but have had many ‘hangs’ with this new op where I need to quit the app, losing all my work.  

So it is not an inviting atmosphere even though I would have liked to be part of the beta program.  

28 minutes ago, p_mac said:

I find the nitpicking of some of the forum member quite disgusting to the point where I now choose to ‘not come to the forum’ unless I am looking for an answer to a problem.  

I really hope I haven't come across as nitpicking -- truly I love this app and have strived to make it an essential and enjoyable part of my normal workflow -- which is why this new buggy version is so disappointing. I want it to work and be as fluid and beautiful an experience to use as it was last week on v1.6. I'm hopeful this can happen without an investment in $1k+ of new hardware. Though on that end it's further disappointing to hear that you were having similar problems even on the newest iPad Pro iteration. 

2 hours ago, msgphoto said:

I really hope I haven't come across as nitpicking -- truly I love this app and have strived to make it an essential and enjoyable part of my normal workflow -- which is why this new buggy version is so disappointing. I want it to work and be as fluid and beautiful an experience to use as it was last week on v1.6. I'm hopeful this can happen without an investment in $1k+ of new hardware. Though on that end it's further disappointing to hear that you were having similar problems even on the newest iPad Pro iteration. 

msgphoto you are not coming across nitpicking, you are just frustrated with the release but I am confident that serif will figure this all out.  

I am referring to personal picking about the way I may have said something because the member has interpreted it without consideration to the message, by members answering posts as though they are the ultimate authority and others are just plain ‘dumb’, and of course the members who constantly refer to themselves as professionals, blah, blah and that this program is ruining their ‘professional’ lives, they are going back to the other guy.  To me a true professional doesn’t act in this manner, they either help or they go back to the other guy without fanfare.

And I do get frustrated sometimes with the moderators who sometimes basically ignore my posts, maybe because I am using more complex functions then they want to deal with now, however, I have removed myself from beta help even though I use.   

This is an awesome piece of software, so don’t get discouraged. 

I should be using my macs but I had a hit to my temple about 2 years ago, still don’t remember much about it but the concussion has made it very difficult to work on a bigger screens.  The time I can work is getting longer, but using the iPad Pro is just much easier.  I bought the most expensive iPad Pro with the 1TB and 6GB.  It is a real workhorse and can do most of the things, albeit taking a bit longer. The bugs in this iteration however have slowed it a bit and they have not really showed us how much has changed which is also frustrating.   But this is a small staff and they will get to it.   

Stick with it msgphoto  

edit: just so you know I started using AP on my first gen iPad Pro 12.9” with a much small 256GB and 4GB and it was a little bit slower that this one but it would do the job.   It’s not the iPad, you don’t need to go out and spend a fortune   

So, an update of sorts. I've tried a hard reboot of the iPad several times. I did one reinstall of the software and was briefly encouraged. . . Was able to get halfway through a simple portrait retouch with slightly better luck, no significant slowdowns (though still considerably slower than v1.6). Then, just when I was getting my hopes up the sludge of v1.7 struck again. Everything ground to a halt. There was a 4-7 second delay on each brush stroke with cloning or inpainting. Trying to merge a handful of pixel layers to a new visible layer took over five minutes. Previously on v1.6 this took a second or two. 

What's worse, generating an image export (uncompressed, to adobe RGB 1998 TIFF) can take up to ten minutes, whereas on v1.6 if it took 5-10 seconds it seemed like a lot. 

Again, I'm on a 2nd gen 512GB iPad Pro 12.9" 

I'm about to start my second full erase and install. Not optimistic. 

Look, I know this is a terrific app, and the fact that we can do this sort of editing on mobile is incredible. The frustrating thing is not that I want more features - it's that I want the thing that worked perfectly just a few days ago to work that way again. Serif, anything? 

Hey, I’m experiencing the same thing. I’ve got the 11” iPad Pro. Been loving this app so much and I come from a 9.7 pro. As soon as I did the update it’s pretty much unusable, I’m doing simple photo montages of not much more than 5-7 layers. It keeps crashing and putting me back like ten steps each time. It’s super frustrating. I use this app everyday and it’s a vital part of my work flow. Even to the point that I barely use my desktop for my art. The iPad is so much more of a fun creative tool and I don’t just have to be at my studio. I hope they fix this :(  

2018 iPad 12 1TB, absolutely unusable lag on menus, drawings, absolutely everything.  I've gone from loving the app one day to finding it absolutely unusable the next.

I don't need any layers, or filters for the lag to happen.  Simply make a 16000x8000 pixel document and try to draw on it with the pencil, it doesn't seem to recognise the pencil is there at first, and then manages to catch up.  take pencil off the screen, repeat the process.  Of course as the project gets more detailed, the lag gets worse and worse and worse. 

Infuriating.

• Staff

Hello all,

I'm sorry you've been having these issues. We know of an issue where doing the five-finger pinch gesture to return to the Home screen can cause the app to severely lag when you return to it. If this is the gesture you commonly use, please give it a go and let me know.

I've also been informed by a colleague that there can be a severe delay (approx 5 secs) between putting the Apple Pencil on the screen to draw and it appearing. This can happen on a document as small as 4000 px x 4000 px in RGB8 and 16. That was reported against a 9.7 pro (2016). 

@frankthechicken - I have just created a 16000x8000 px document on 1.7 and can indeed reproduce this. I then made the same size document on an older iPad running 1.6 and saw no such delay. I will speak with dev. 

This seems to be happening here as well. Refining a selection is absolutely impossible with the pencil lag.  

Don't know if this is significant but it only happens with AP.  Pulling up AP with the white bar at bottom to apply other apps is almost unresponsive initially, greyed out. The lag is frustrating.

it doesn't matter what I'm working on. Tried two image pano, five image HDR merge, one image.  

With the HDR merge can't get rid of the profile info at bottom of screen. (exposure, gamma, ICC).  Applying a filter changes it but after application the aforementioned comes back.  Is that by design.  

2018 12.5" iPad Pro 1T

I’m having the same issue on my almost brand new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9.  Brush strokes have considerable lag, and it’s really frustrating.  I want my 1.6 version back.  I used to love Affinity Photo, now I don’t even want to edit pics on my iPad, and I bought it specifically for editing pics because I loved editing on my iPad with Affinity.

Does anyone know of a way to go back to v1.6?  Why isn’t Serif responding to any of our questions or issues?  I just want to enjoy editing my photos again.

Edited by cas_2021
Added to my questions

1 hour ago, cas_2021 said:

Does anyone know of a way to go back to v1.6?  Why isn’t Serif responding to any of our questions or issues?  I just want to enjoy editing my photos again.

If you had made a backup of your. iPad you could restore it to the earlier setup. However, Documents that have been opened in 1.7 will not open in 1.6. If you don't have a backup then unfortunately you are stuck on 1.7.

I'd also suggest turning off auto updates and then you have the option of waiting a few weeks before updating, rather than being an early adopter, as there are usually teething issues after any major release.

Clearly there are a few (annoying) behaviours evident in the latest major release, and from a user perspective this can be extremely frustrating but we need to at least give devs a chance to fix the issues. They will release an update before too long and then we can get back to enjoying editing on our. iPads. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
3 hours ago, cas_2021 said:

Why isn’t Serif responding to any of our questions or issues?

I responded to this thread 20 hours ago. We are responding to as many threads as we physically can. The developers are already working fixes and we've already got a Mac beta out. 

We can only apologies for those affected by the update and we are working as hard and as fast as we can to put it right. 

@Chris B -- a further update -- 

I've done two complete erase and reinstalls of AP and things have improved slightly. Frustratingly, my slowdowns seem to be kind of random now. I have a collection of files I'm working on (all the same format (8-bit TIFF, from a canon 5DSR), all processed (lightroom) and imported into AP the same way. It seems, though, that now approximately 1 in 3 of these files experiences this slowdown. It seems to persist with the file - despite reboots, closing AP and reopening, closing and reopening the file, etc. I'm not quite sure why this would be as ALL of these files should be nearly identical in size/type/origination. 

Slowdowns mainly in the following areas, as before: 4-10 sec lag time between painting a line/brush with inpainting or clone stamp tools and the red mark appearing on screen.  -- delays when merging visible layers to a new pixel layer. several minute delay when generating an export file. 

I'm a little heartened that things have improved a bit, and I do appreciate you checking back in and keeping us informed. This is an incredible app. I can imagine it's frustrating, also, from your end, but please remember the fact that people come to rely on this application is a sign of just how good and essential it is/can be. 

Hoping for an updated fix soon. 

Thanks. 

I understand this is probably best placed in the beta section, but will resolution of these errors be first placed in beta before being released as an update?  If so, do I assume correctly that I would need to apply on the beta forums to download a copy?  I am currently struggling to proceed with my projects and any quicker solution would be much appreciated.

When I experience the inpainting delay, I find that tap and hold for a sec or two until the red dot appears and then dragging to paint results in an immediate red paint line. Might be worth trying until the fix is released.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

20 hours ago, Chris B said:

I responded to this thread 20 hours ago. We are responding to as many threads as we physically can. The developers are already working fixes and we've already got a Mac beta out. 

We can only apologies for those affected by the update and we are working as hard and as fast as we can to put it right. 

Chris, I’m so sorry...I didn’t realize you were with Serif!  Please accept my apology, and I look forward to the fixes!  I love Affinity photo, and I will wait patiently for the fix to the bugs.  Thank you!  

Cindy

• Staff
8 hours ago, cas_2021 said:

Chris, I’m so sorry...I didn’t realize you were with Serif!  Please accept my apology, and I look forward to the fixes!  I love Affinity photo, and I will wait patiently for the fix to the bugs.  Thank you!  

Cindy

No worries at all. We don't want to keep people waiting for replies any longer than they need to.

We've released an iPad build via Testflight which fixes a number of issues, such as Inpainting being slow and there will be more to come. 

Hello there! I can confirm the app gets unbearably unstable (freezing, unable to zoom/move) when using specifically the Clone Tool too much. I mean, if you’re just going to clone certain part of a photo, it makes no difference; but, if you’re doing some serious cloning for more than 5-10 minutes, the app just freezes and prevents you from selecting other tools. It also affects panning and zooming using gestures.

It happens 95% of the times to me. I’m using a 12” iPad Pro 2018.

- Enrique 

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

So, I've had similar issues with lag and occasional crash using some of the simplest tools. But I figured out that it seems to happen on layers that have been resized, and if I rasterize the layer it works better.