You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.9.1 iPad Help File PDF

DM1

Hi fellow Affinity users.  Having been confined to the house during the Covid pandemic I have taken the opportunity to update the Designer PDF help file to version 1.9  There have been numerous feature additions in this version so you may benefit from updating.  I hope you find it useful.

I have attached a lower resolution copy of the PDF version of the Affinity Designer IPad apps built in Help file directly to this post. See below. (I have also attached a less compressed (higher resolution) copy's Dropbox “link” to a PDF version). 

You can open the PDF file in a reader or iBook allowing you to view and search the help file while working on a document in Affinity Designer. All links within the document should be working.

I hope you find it as useful as I do.

Please note that this PDF is not in any way supported by Affinity, nor are they responsible for any errors or omissions,  so please do not refer any errors or omissions in the Document to Affinity. Every attempt has been made (by me) to ensure the content is an accurate representation of the built in Help file, however some errors 'may' have slipped through 9_9.

I will  endeavour to keep it up to date (at least for a little while) ;). When Publisher comes out I may redo the layout (Pages is a little limited in the area of indexing).

My Dropbox account is basic and limits daily bandwidth, if you experience a problem downloading just try again next day.

Affinity Designer Help File 1.9.1 pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2ga6xfx26uhrs8/Affinity%20Designer%20Help%20File%201.9.1.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy

Dave 

Direct link (10mb file size version) linked below:

Affinity_Designer_Help_File_1.9.1.zip

EE68BFBE-79D8-4890-8775-821586425F7C.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Dave...

I also would like to thank you for all the effort you must have put into this. Not just offering a bare-bones account, but It seems you've actually covered in full all the Actual Help File topics.

I can't imagine how you might have achieved this - other than maybe screenshoting each page and somehow doing an OCR on them?

But I'm not asking that you reveal this - just want to say a loud Bravo! Very impressive...

thanks again.

To the Moderators...

May I suggest this be placed as a Sticky at the head of this Resources section?

Surely invaluable to just about every user as an alternative to the internal version.

(Clearly a great deal of time and effort put into this by DM1 - a shame for it to become gradually un-noticed beneath other posts)?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if Serif used this as food for thought and cotton on to why people find this useful. Getting to the built-in guide is cumbersome in the midst of a project, and the font is small. There needs to be a built-in way to open it as a PDF, or better still add a tabbed interface to AD on iPad.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this, @DM1. The onboard help is great, but it’s nice to have access to this info via another method such as this PDF. (How in the world did you extract and create it??)

You did so well with this one that I need to ask: Is there a PDF for Affinity Photo as well? And do you plan to create one for Publisher? :D

7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

You did so well with this one that I need to ask: Is there a PDF for Affinity Photo as well? And do you plan to create one for Publisher? 

Thank you, to be honest it was a pretty tedious process and all done on the iPad using Readdle Scanner Pro to scan and convert the screen captures to text (amazingly accurate conversion, great app), then Pages to create the doc. I would love to have Publisher on the iPad though, that might be the incentive I need to make Photo and Publisher versions in my spare time, as it’s a great way for me to learn about the apps many features.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@DM1 I’m sorry to digress a bit, but hoping you have some insight:

As we’ve discussed in the past, the quality and overall feature set, as well as the support for the Affinity products were huge motivation for me to all but abandon Adobe. However, I’ve maintained my Acrobat DC subscription at ~$199/yr for editing and managing PDF files.

I wish Publisher could replace Acrobat DC, but I seriously doubt it can do so. But how does Readdle PDF Expert compare the Adobe app?

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

how does Readdle PDF Expert compare the Adobe app?

It’s been years since I last used adobe acrobat in a Document development work process so I’m not familiar with the current version capability of the iPad version. I've given away all my desktop gear and now just play around on the iPad Pro so I can't offer any comment on the Mac/windows versions of the product, other than to say that on the occasions I have contacted Readdle with issues, questions or feature requests, the response has been prompt, professional and followed up to my satisfaction.

PDF Expert on iPad began life as a PDF mark up app and the ability to edit text was a paid upgrade that came later. I haven't created any large PDF documents with the app but it was easy enough to open and edit their included 60 page Help file and also a 600 page PDF file.

For price and convenience it’s hard to beat on the iPad. Text is added in text blocks. Text Blocks and photos can be selected and moved to reposition them, there doesn’t appear to be a text flow option which would be very nice to have. All system fonts are available. It has a page layout mode which simplifies adding, moving or deleting pages. It has form filling and signature features. Well worth the small investment.

Working on iPad with PDF Expert as well, and am very happy with it. Solves nearly every task you want to perform on a pdf, for a relatively low price. I have bought the full package from readdle In-App after a good initial experience with the lower-priced start version.

Readdle offers good support as well.

The SW is available as well for Mac, but carries an 80€-price tag there. With iCloud-Transfer, there is no need for this. If I have something to do, I share the pdf to my iPad, get the things done there in pdf expert, and send it back to the desktop.

Let us wait and see when more apps from iOS will become available on Macs as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 3:16 AM, DM1 said:

Thank you, to be honest it was a pretty tedious process and all done on the iPad using Readdle Scanner Pro to scan and convert the screen captures to text (amazingly accurate conversion, great app), then Pages to create the doc. I would love to have Publisher on the iPad though, that might be the incentive I need to make Photo and Publisher versions in my spare time, as it’s a great way for me to learn about the apps many features.

Excellent work and still very much appreciated.  Affinity/Serif are missing an important market here by not giving more attention to the iPad versions of the software. I know its all about "time and motion" but still... Thanks for the great ideas about Readdle etc.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

• 4 weeks later...