Jutta

measurement of the length of a curve

6 posts in this topic

hi there,

how  to get the exact length of a curve 

or the circumference of a circle

in affinity designer?

As far as i know this is not possible in designer.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

11 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

No, it isn't possible yet. Perimeter and area measurements have been requested a few times, but at the moment we have to use external tools.

Windows users can export a drawing to PDF and use the measurement tools in PDF-XChange Viewer to determine the length of any curve (or the area bounded by any closed curve).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.4.104) • Affinity Photo (1.6.4.104) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 iOS 11.3 (iPad Air 2)

5 hours ago, dutchshader said:

For the circumference of a circle you could do this (inelegantly) as follows:

1. Select the circle & note its width or height in the Transform panel.

2. Using (for example) the Pen Tool in Line mode, draw a horizontal line. (Use snapping to make sure it is perfectly horizontal.)

3. In the Transform panel use the expression pi*<width or height of the circle> to change the width of the line.

4. This width is the circumference of the circle.

Of course, this is of very little practical value but I did use it once to check the movement of a wheel along a road. In the attached wheel roll test.afdesign, each ellipse is 200 x 200 px, so the 'baseline' road is 628.32 px. Moving copies of the ellipse by 628.32/4 horizontal increments & rotating them by -90° increments gave me the template I needed for the project.

firstdefence likes this

Affinity Photo 1.6.7; Affinity Designer 1.6.1; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In the attached wheel roll test.afdesign, each ellipse is 200 x 200 px, so the 'baseline' road is 628.32 px.

Easy as pi! :D

firstdefence likes this

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.4.104) • Affinity Photo (1.6.4.104) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 iOS 11.3 (iPad Air 2)

Would be cool to have this feature:

5ad5970eb216a_ScreenShot2018-04-17at07_40_25.png.ee56ff68c2c2fddde61c17edcbc1905b.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.4 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images