You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there arrows in affinity

There is an arrow tool but it creates shapes, not arrowhead line ends. The latter is on the roadmap but not yet implemented.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

R C-R,

Thanks for that bit of information.  I thought I was going crazy not being able to easily draw lines with arrows.  The arrow shape tool is nice, but it is cumbersome to use when doing anything that isn't horizontal.  I will be nice to have lines with arrowheads eventually.  :)

In the meantime, as a work around, you could use arrow brushes instead !
I've made a small set I regularly use (see attachment). Just double click on the file to import them. After import, double clicking on one of the brushes , opens a dialog window where you can change the size to you needs.

Arrow Brushes.jpg

Arrows.afbrushes

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

11 hours ago, gdenby said:

Easy work around. Just use line pressures on pen strokes.

It's a pity we cannot export these profiles !

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

12 hours ago, gdenby said:

Easy work around. Just use line pressures on pen strokes.

ArrowLinePressure.thumb.jpg.27de68ff5c9edb1f88b8a3190bcd85e6.jpg

That's definitely a Robin Hood arrow lol!

PS. I think we should have Robin Hood themed Emoji's

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

It's a pity we cannot export these profiles !

It is possible. Save them as a style. I haven't quite figured out how to get the line weight set so that it is transferred to other lines consistently. That is, I had a few that I tossed that always came out really fat, and just noticed one that transfers at 0 pt. line weight. They can be adjusted after application, but it is a little irksome. Also, since they are bound to the cog shape, it is often hard to tell what the pressure curve is like from the style thumbnail.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2018 at 2:53 PM, HVDB Photography said:

In the meantime, as a work around, you could use arrow brushes instead !
I've made a small set I regularly use (see attachment). Just double click on the file to import them. After import, double clicking on one of the brushes , opens a dialog window where you can change the size to you needs.

Arrow Brushes.jpg

Arrows.afbrushes

This is appreciated.

I don't see how to change the color. I see you have green, so I suppose it can be done. All I can get is black.

This is a great program, albeit with a lot of things yet needed, but no intuitive use it seems. Instructions are pretty poor too. For example, if I don't know how to draw an arrow, search help, it tells about it's capability, but does not show where to find the tool.

Sorry for venting. 

This forum is very helpful.

27 minutes ago, 56_kruiser said:

...For example, if I don't know how to draw an arrow, search help, it tells about it's capability, but does not show where to find the tool.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I really appreciate your help. (I need to learn how you are doing that 'video'):)

I don't have quite what you have.

image.png.d0fdbfe779527da70f44d6a45ae7ed42.png

I suspect it has to do with how I imported. I did it the way initially described...just double clicked on the file. So it is a brush, and I get it on the screen by selecting brush, then Arrows instead of Basic:

image.png.1461ffbbeb19a26f8582cb55495e3adf.png

Arrows are now added for lines in the new updated version 1.7.0 releases, the previews 1.6.x releases didn't had those build in.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Make first a backup copy of your previous version, just in case of Murphy, so you are on the more secure side if the updating process makes installation trouble (some Win users have such).

I haven't quite figured out how to get the line weight set so that it is transferred to other lines consistently. That is, I had a few that I tossed that always came out really fat, and just noticed one that transfers at 0 pt. line weight. They can be adjusted after application, but it is a little irksome. Also, since they are bound to the cog shape, it is often hard to tell what the pressure curve is like from the style thumbnail.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, Andre992 said:

I haven't quite figured out how to get the line weight set so that it is transferred to other lines consistently. That is, I had a few that I tossed that always came out really fat, and just noticed one that transfers at 0 pt. line weight. They can be adjusted after application, but it is a little irksome. Also, since they are bound to the cog shape, it is often hard to tell what the pressure curve is like from the style thumbnail. mcdvoice

Any Update????

@Andre992 hello and welcome to the forum,

You no longer need to use this workaround technique to get arrowheads on lines.

v1.7 has arrows built in!

Just draw your line, and select the arrows you want in the strokes panel.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 3 years later...