You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 8)

You are right, the initial brush strokes (red-orange) kept their original dimensions after resizing the document, but you will also notice that the area that accepted my new (blue-green) brush strokes after resizing was exactly four times the area of the original pixel layer. So the resizing had an effect on the area that is susceptible to “paint,” if you see what I mean. Hmm … :/

Area.png.ead4b375b47688e018af088119a4bf92.png

That's what I'm thinking. Could it be triggered by size variation? In that file I attached, I inserted a background layer from another drawing in which the the canvas was resized. I wonder if bringing in to that other file corrupted it or if that's not possible. Something that these two issues do have in common, however, is that it's a problem with pixel layers.

There is something else, not related to the above. Create two shapes. One with say a gradient fill but no stroke, and the other can have any look as long as it has a stroke. Copy the gradient shape, and then paste the style to the stroked shape. The stroked shape will now have the gradient style like the other. Now undo it. You will see that you cannot bring back the stroke.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

You are right. Pixel layers should be susceptible to “paint” everywhere. However, I just checked the App Store version, and it behaves the same as the Beta under resizing operations. Only the fancy effects of the redrawing bug are missing … ;)

Here's something that's bothersome for me with the output to PDF.

I have a vector shape, within that shape I have bitmaps and other vector shapes nested. A couple of LUT layers and bitmap comps later and I output to PDF.

The bitmap sections itself are cut up pretty well by features, so that's cool. There was pretty much zero waste there. However I lose the vector outline of the base shape that the other stuff was nested in. This increases the file size quite a bit since it introduces an extra alpha to the file. 

The PDF output should retain the outline and just have PNG portions overlaid on top for transparency. 

It could be that it's too hard for the app to figure out which outline to retain in a mixed media comp. I'm way out of Illustrator territory here, so I don't really have a comparison. If that's an issue, maybe we could help it along by tagging a shape with 'vector cut' for example. Which then would also carry through to any bitmap format that can carry outlines (to flow text around and make vector knock outs). We can already exclude shapes from snapping, maybe that could be added to the same menu section and be displayed similarly in the layer stack. (Probably something worth having anyway).

Edit: Nesting the layer group in another shape retains the outline as vector in the output. But then I have both, the PNG alpha in addition to the new shape which bear the potential of a moiré effect. 

Edited by Frank Jonen
Comment on nesting

Possible bug with type on a path control points?

I'm not able to move the red control points, it's as-if they are locked?

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 17.37.52.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
21 hours ago, Morten_Hjort said:

Maybe its already been posted, but I'm on a 2016 15" tMBP and when I activate Metal as a renderer (Sierra) the performance is pretty bad. Changing it to OpenGL make it fast again. Shouldn't Metal in general have better performance?  

I'm developing on the 15" 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar - and Metal is noticeably faster on mine :S I've just fixed something over the weekend that was causing simple documents to go slower than they should've done, so maybe that might help? It'll be in this week's beta (I was trying to fix that problem last week, so wasn't in a position to launch a new Beta last week - but I can launch one soon, now) Let me know if this changes things for you in the next beta version! :)

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Possible bug with type on a path control points?

I'm not able to move the red control points, it's as-if they are locked?

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 17.37.52.png

I think this was a beta version bug that was fixed then accidentally re-broken. It is fixed again for the next beta I believe - sorry! :(

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2017 at 0:07 PM, MattP said:

We need a little more information though - because I’m not seeing the same stability problems. I’m guessing it may have a lot to do with the kind of objects you use inside the symbol, or the structure of the items inside the symbol? Maybe even constraints? It would help a lot to see a sample document that gives you issues as we can look through the document in the debugger and see what’s likely to be causing the issues you see... thanks for any help you can give :)

Sorry to be so late to reply. I think it may be a matter of the complexity of the symbols (I don't use constraints: I'm talking about using symbols in geometrical graphic design), or perhaps hitting font limits because of the sandboxing issue (which I truly hope was not the case). At any rate, the next time this happens in the normal flow of my work I will save the file aside and send it to you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.