You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.0.19863)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Improvements / Features / Fixes

- Improved accuracy of Expand Stroke function.

- Tablet tip will automatically switch to pixel erase brush.

- Fixed PDF import of CMYK colours.

- Fixed CMYK colour readouts on large colour panel.

- Fixed exporting of CMYK slices from RGB documents.

- Improved OpenType feature naming.

- Further brush performance improvements.

- Ruler performance improved - especially in Yosemite.

- “Use Only Integrated GPU” works properly.

- Fixed issue with failing to open read-only files.

Yes I agree. I'd like to see some of the fundamental stuff nailed before moving forward.

sorry to keep bringing this up but... there are still, imo significant issues with boolean operations adding way too many (unnecessary) nodes and additional geometry for practical daily use. See my divide example attached. I haven't tried the expand stroke yet.

post-305-0-19849400-1413917471_thumb.png

Here's a test on the expand stroke with a pressure profile applied to the stroke. Getting some stepping (circled) in the pressure profile.

Expand stroke looks pretty accurate though, even picked up the stepping...

post-305-0-95344000-1413925985_thumb.png

post-305-0-35473200-1413926009_thumb.png

Hi Andy,

adamtwar beat me to it; great work you have going there on OT support! :)  That small usability hindrance on the sub-panel collapsibility isn't yet gone, though, but I'm guessing that should take a larger amount of coding than just string tweaking, so do take your time to get it right.  ;)

As for yesterday's CMYK bug, it's partially gone (the bizarre discrepancy between both CMYK field sets on the colour palette, that is)… Colour me impressed!  :D However, the slight discrepancies in the CMYK/RGB values between AD and Ai are still present; btw, I'm using the same CMYK and RGB profiles on all files I sent you yesterday, both on AD and Ai: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 and sRGB IEC61966-2.1, respectively. Am I doing something wrong, or is this behaviour by design?

• Staff

Hi,

It is a difference in colour engine. Adobe uses ACE (their own engine) or optionally Apple ColorSync. Affinity uses the LCMS engine (http://www.littlecms.com). It's generally considered to be the best engine available, so I generally trust results from it. These engines all make some assumptions, at different points, so I do expect minor differences in output.

Thanks,

AndyS

Andy,

Thank you for your clarification on colour. I also thought it might have something to do with colour engines specifically, but I just wanted to be sure about that.  :)

Just another heads-up: pinch-to-zoom doesn't work on my Bamboo Pen&Touch (model #CTH-670), which is something I may or may have not tested before (I'm guessing it never did, as it doesn't work in the latest stable release, either). It's predictably jittery in Ai, but at least it works (not that I use it much anyway, precisely on account of its flakyness, but, then again, *everything* except Spacebar-to-pan is jittery in Ai :rolleyes: )… Oops. I must be suffering from some driver incompatibilities/outdatedness; it's not working on Preview either (I'm running 10.9.5 at work, btw). As for it even working on Ai in the first place, I can't come up with a plausible explanation.   :wacko:

As for the brush and pressure support, it's all looking fine and dandy (I'm working on a Quad 2.26 MacPro4,1, so I'm having no lag issues here whatsoever), and Scroll-to-pan and Option+Scroll-to-zoom are smooth as butter, much like in the latest stable release, both using the Bamboo as a touchpad and the Magic Mouse.

Still on the subject of tablets: is there any way we can regulate the brush smoothing factor (Tolerances > Fidelity and Tolerances > Smoothness, in Ai parlance)?

[ Oh, goody, I just updated my Wacom drivers to the latest version (released in August), to no avail… God, I *hate* that company almost as much as Adobe, their support is utter crap…  :angry: At least they didn't completely bork my tablet like they did last time I tried to update them, under Snow Leopard, before I finally convinced our boss to call the IT guy and update my workstation (I could've done it myself, but I had to have prior approval and don't intend to put that guy out of a job  B)  ). ]

[ Oh, goody, I just updated my Wacom drivers to the latest version (released in August), to no avail… God, I *hate* that company almost as much as Adobe, their support is utter crap…  :angry: At least they didn't completely bork my tablet like they did last time I tried to update them, under Snow Leopard, before I finally convinced our boss to call the IT guy and update my workstation (I could've done it myself, but I had to have prior approval and don't intend to put that guy out of a job  B)  ). ]

[OT: Yup Wacom has fallen victim to the Big Fish in a little pond syndrome. I tried to get info and such from them for my book and they never replied to me or my editor.  :huh: ]

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

"The colors still look really weird when opening previous files with this beta. Specially the whites, seem washed out, with a slight yellow tint."

This is now *correct*. Affinity is now showing you an accurate representation of how your chosen CMYK profile will look when printed.

AndyS

Thanks for letting us know that Affinity is using littlecms, Andy. I was sitting here pondering if I could get much use out of Scribus as a multipage delivery system for graphics created in Designer (and how well it would work until Publisher is released) and, BOOM, you mention that both Scribus and Affinity use the same cms to begin with. How cool is that?

Affinity ROCKS!

• Staff

Hi retrograde :)

Well, I did look at the divide function - I need to spend a bit more time staring at it though. I'll certainly get there, but I think there are some other issues with divide anyway that means it might just need to be written differently (one ellipse containing another ellipse, then divided doesn't cut out the contained ellipse from the outer one, so the logic is wrong). With regards to expand stroke - I think that's working okay at the moment (although I have a plan to be able to do the whole thing better, just need chance to implement it, as always!) I know that your example showed some 'stepping' on the pressure line you tried it with, but that was the line itself, not the expand stroke function. I'll obviously need to look at that separately.

Thanks again for all your input :)

Matt

Cheers Matt glad to see it's still on the front burner. Yeah the stroke expand is much better that "stepping" is probably something else like you say.

Thanks for staying on it!  ;)

Hi there, seems the pdf-import is not so crucial to be fixed un fortunately, but I'll provide some more infos in the hope that someday my bug report will get noticed :)

I provided a screenshot from AD and one from iDraw to see the difference. iDraw and other apps do the same, AD has quirks with splitting text correctly.

iDraw:

post-1545-0-40257100-1414327690_thumb.jpeg

AD:

post-1545-0-03840500-1414327689_thumb.jpeg

Mentioned test-file

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.