You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Beginner) when downloading JPEG images, are there ways to have them in larger versions?

I've downloaded a number of public domain paintings from Wikipedia. When we click on the images, + sign appears on the cursor and we can view them in larger sizes. Some of them get quite large and we can look at the details of the painting. But these larger versions do not get downloaded that way. Even if I choose to download the larger version, what I get is the smaller one. 

Are there ways to have these images in the larger version? Many of these paintings can be quite useful in all sorts of ways, it seems to me, and I would like to know how I can have them in largest possible (as they are shown on the web) version. 

gogh.PNG

12 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

When we click on the images, + sign appears on the cursor and we can view them in larger sizes. Some of them get quite large and we can look at the details of the painting.

As long as there is a + sign on the image, clicking it will give a larger image

Once I'm at as large as it goes I can right-click, on the image, and download that image

Tested on several Wikipedia images (Chrome Browser, Windows 11)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

When I click on an image in that article, there is a More Details button at the bottom, which takes me to Wikimedia. And there, below the image, is a listing of different sizes available, including one labeled Original Image which provides (I think) the largest version. Once you're displaying that one, you can ask your browser to save it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, Amy Choue said:

What am I doing wrong

Not sure why it does not work for you

What browser and OS are you using?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

I did exactly this, and it never worked. What am I doing wrong. 

What happens / fails if you right-click?

• Get a / no pop-up menu,
• or a menu without Save option,
• or save is possible but you don't find the file after download,
• or … ?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

What browser and OS are you using?

My browser is Chrome, and I think the OS is Windows 11 (I purchased PC last year, so. But I'll have to learn to know more, more clearly, about this kind of things. I've used computers just so unthinkingly). 

I've tried this many times and never succeeded having a larger size. It is good to know that it is possible to have larger versions, though. I'll have to find out how. 

Left Click on the related little shown image on the webpage to preview it, so it will be enlarged in the websites own sliding image viewer and then ...

wiki_down.jpg.bf8a525b5b987e5028d3151b0ab0c6b5.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

What happens / fails if you right-click?

When I right click, I get a dialogue box, which says: 

• Open the image in a new tab
  • Save it under a new name
  • Copy the image 
  • Generate the QR code
  • Search Google

I've tried first, second, and third. All failed. (The language in the dialogue box is not English, I just translated it. This is really unlikely, but might this be the reason, I am beginning to wonder. I had a problem with my PC last year, and it turned out I had to change the language settings). 

6 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

The language in the dialogue box is not English, I just translated it.

What country are you accessing Wikipedia from?

Are you accessing it via a VPN or Proxy Server?

4 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

I've tried first, second, and third. All failed. (The language in the dialogue box is not English, I just translated it. This is really unlikely, but might this be the reason, I am beginning to wonder. I had a problem with my PC last year, and it turned out I had to change the language settings). 

What happens once you selected one of the menu entries 1-3?

If an issue with your operating system would influence this workflow it hardly would affect in particular images from Wikipedia only. So are you able to download images from other sites, e.g. this forum?

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

If an issue with your operating system would influence this workflow it hardly would affect in particular images from Wikipedia only.

Come to think of it, it seems there were sites I could download the larger version (but cannot be sure, I'll have to go back and see). But at Wikipedia, I always couldn't. I could download images everywhere, and usually in the size as shown on the web. This is a really strange problem. But it's good to know that larger images are downloadable at Wikipedia. There will be a way to do this for me too. 

12 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

I've tried this again and again but this too hasn't worked.

Try downloading it here:
Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Windmills_on_Montmartre_-_Google_Art_Project.thumb.jpg.6b96cb58cf9fd61dfac931126c1a0f1b.jpg

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

Could you download the larger version from Wikipedia? 

File is original/max size (4035 x 5001, 6MB) from wikipedia.

Edit: Unfortunately, the forum changes the size of embedded images, so I'm attaching them as a zip.

Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Windmills_on_Montmartre_-_Google_Art_Project.zip

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

53 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

I've tried this again and again but this too hasn't worked. I'll first have to find out where to look to solve this. (Sigh). 

Try out with a different webbrowser than Chrome, for example FireFox. - Other than that check your systems and webbrowsers security settings, or if some probably installed webbrowser plugin, or system firewall and/or antivirus software prevents the downloads here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, Amy Choue said:

The Internet I use is the one that has the largest market share in the country.

Might there be restrictions for/by your country?

(for instance in Germany I must not access files of the Gutenberg Project or certain youtube content, on the other hand the public mediathek of the German public broadcast is not accessible from most other countries)

28 minutes ago, thomaso said:

on the other hand the public mediathek of the German public broadcast is not accessible from most other countries)

I seem to get something here in Canada. Looked like a game show was on.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I seem to get something here in Canada. Looked like a game show was on.

Yes. ;) Direct live or some political shows can be available everywhere but for instance most of films and series in the burger menu > ARD Mediathek are unavailable (nicht verfügbare) outside Germany. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I seem to get something here in Canada.

I assume their accessibility is a matter of DRM and related to the country of origin. As @Oufti mentioned, if you want to experience blocked content try the upper left option "ARD Mediathek" and look for a known movie. Or how about the French/Swiss/German broadcast cooperation 'arte' with this set of some Jim Jarmusch movies or this French/Canadian documentary? – Oddly, even within the rather small Germany not everything is available for all citizens: Often, international movies get broadcasted locally only in one of the 16 federal states (each with a main broadcast station), then all others see a landscape picture(s) with music for 90 minutes. :234_unicorn:

But, back to this thread, would Wikipedia itself block content (or just downloads) regionally? https://proprivacy.com/guides/how-to-unblock-wikipedia

Have you tried downloading it from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh#/media/File:Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Windmills_on_Montmartre_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg after clicking on the download icon @v_kyr showed in that earlier post?

It works fine for me on my Mac using Safari.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

56 minutes ago, R C-R said:

clicking on the download icon @v_kyr showed in that earlier post?

It appears this was answered already:

11 hours ago, Amy Choue said:
11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Click on the little image to preview it, so it will be enlarged in the sites sliding image viewer and then ...

I've tried this again and again but this too hasn't worked. I'll first have to find out where to look to solve this. (Sigh). 

I still wonder, though, what language/country the OP is using, which, as reported here, is not English.

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It appears this was answered already:

Except it is not clear, at least to me, if the OP ever got to that web page.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7