You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Beginner) when downloading JPEG images, are there ways to have them in larger versions?

12 hours ago, Amy Choue said:

public domain paintings from Wikipedia

I click to "public domain" from wiki Windmills image, and showing this information:

Screenshot_2023-09-09-01-21-08.thumb.png.724eac353d332924b2db93a724fd6ff8.png

Couldn't that be your problem?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

it occured to me, maybe the + sign on the cursor is the zoom in ("ctrl" and "+" in Affinity Photo). So I figured, if I can download the "size" as said on the picture's page, then I am having the same picture, no matter how it looks upon downloading. To see whether this is the case, I downloaded a painting in a large size and tried zoom in in Photo. 

The first one is from Wikipedia, a large size (enlarged with the + sign on the cursor). The second one is from Photo, with zoom in. Below the attachments, it is said they are the same size, both 1.4 mb. 

So it seems I wasn't having a problem at all. 

Pardon me for bothering the users with a non-problem. I have always been a very clumsy computer user in all aspects of computer using. Affinity has been difficult to learn for me, but it is interesting and I need to learn. But I can hear comments (from people who knew me) in disbelief "You, editing photos, you of all people??? Impossible!!" 

garden.PNG

garden 2.PNG

17 minutes ago, Amy Choue said:

So it seems I wasn't having a problem at all. 

Good news! – But then what did not work / did fail? Your post sounded to me that you did not get a download at all with the methods 1-3. And what is the language issue or confusion?

12 hours ago, Amy Choue said:

When I right click, I get a dialogue box, which says: 

• Open the image in a new tab
  • Save it under a new name
  • Copy the image 
  • Generate the QR code
  • Search Google

I've tried first, second, and third. All failed. (The language in the dialogue box is not English, I just translated it. This is really unlikely, but might this be the reason, I am beginning to wonder. I had a problem with my PC last year, and it turned out I had to change the language settings). 

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

30 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Your post sounded to me that you did not get a download at all with the methods 1-3.

Oh I could get images, but always only in small sizes. Or so I thought. It didn't occur to me that I can think of the sizes of an image in terms of "pixels" or "mb," until this morning. (I am repentant about this, being just so unthinking when it comes to computer-related issues).  

The language issues. I do not remember the specifics, but there were very strange malfunctioning in my PC last year. A repairperson visited and said "well, it (Windows site on the web, I guess) says these problems may arise from the language setting." 

Experiences like that (which I kept having from the very first computer I had) can be really forbidding. Why, how, language settings create malfunctioning? And why now, and not before? Problmes like these, for a layperson, cannot really be clearly understood even after very good explanations. 

I needed to have paintings in large sizes because I wanted to print them. I'll now have to learn how resizing affect print quality. I did some search and there seems a tremendous amount to learn and know to be good at image processing (resizing with optimal quality in mind). I might post another really uninformed question soon.  

1 hour ago, Amy Choue said:

I needed to have paintings in large sizes because I wanted to print them. I'll now have to learn how resizing affect print quality.

If metric system is not unusual for you, an approximative but easy way to know how large you can print an image (like a photo), for professional books printing in offset, is to consider its size in pixels and divide it by 100 to have a maximum size in centimetres, (e.g. for your Garden of Delights picture, 4016 × 4315 px, it will be 40 × 43 cm).
— For home printing or numeric press, you could almost go to the double…

Pixels / 100 = cm (maximum printable size, for professional traditional offset)

Pixels / 50 = cm (maximum printable size, for office printing)

Edited by Oufti
Clarification.

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

17 minutes ago, Oufti said:

and divide it by 100 to have a maximum size in centimetres, i.e. here 40 × 43 cm

Many thanks for the tip! 

May I ask a quick question? Can "DPI 300" be a reliable standard for print-ready quality? "DPI 300" is one of the very first things I learned since I began learning Affinity. And over the weeks I've heard about "DPI 300" as being a sort of very good minimum value for images intended for print (commericially, not for home use). 

If I have a 1200 x 1750 (pixels) image, which, after I apply it to a book cover, has 310 DPI, can I be assured of print quality based on that number "310 DPI"? 

Or do pixels and DPI have some sort of inseparable relation and for an image to have 300 DPI it should have a minimum of such and such pixels? 

I can print an image out and see the result but the result would not be the same as when POD prints it. So what I am wondering most is, can "DPI 300" alone be a reliable standard?  

I realized that DPI is not itself about the quality of an image, but a standard (or setting?) for printing. 

I asked a few questions to ChatGPT (it is sometimes really useful) and could clarify somewhat what I have so far came to know. About the desirable pixel dimensions of an image for a 6x9 (inches) book cover, it gave an answer as follows: 

• Desired Pixel Width = Print Width (in inches) x DPI Desired Pixel Height = Print Height (in inches) x DPI
  • For a 6x9 inch book cover at 300 DPI:
  • Desired Pixel Width = 6 inches x 300 DPI = 1800 pixels Desired Pixel Height = 9 inches x 300 DPI = 2700 pixels

Now I'll have to figure out how to "upscale" an image. Whew, so much finding out and learning to do, so little time.