You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Every new document has a white background, can't remove

Hi all, 

Just getting started with Photo 2.1.1 today and loving it so far, except for one major issue / user error. Every new document I create has a white background despite there being no all-white layer underneath everything. See the attached screenshot. There's nothing there, but it's white! I can select the white background of a new document and click "delete" until the cows come home, but the white background remains. This flies in the face of everything I've learned from using other image editors in the past and I'm not sure what to do. Can someone help? Every new template I've tried seems to have this issue and I can't find where to specify the background of a new document!

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 5.09.28 PM.png

1. The background defaults to white, if you want no background colour select....

Document > Transparent Background

2. If you want a specific colour for your background, just use a Rectangle Shape and cover the entire background with it, then colour the Rectangle

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

2. If you want a specific colour for your background, just use a Rectangle Shape and cover the entire background with it, then colour the Rectangle

Or, since you are using AP, add a New Fill Layer from the Layer menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm still confused. What I want is to lose the background color of my document in Affinity Photo. It's white no matter what I do.

Going to Layer > New Fill Layer had no effect.

It seems wild to use a rectangle shape on every document just to make the background transparent. To quote every infomercial ever, there's got to be a better way.

Say I want to make a PNG with a transparent background from a new document. How do I do that?

18 minutes ago, erkerkerk said:

What I want is to lose the background color of my document in Affinity Photo. It's white no matter what I do.

Document > Transparent Background should do it for you, as suggested above. You can also set that when creating a new document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When creating a New document, under the ‘Colour’ tab make sure the 'Transparent Background’ tick-box is selected.
In any existing documents that have the white background, in the Menubar go to: Document > Transparent Background and select it there.

SCR-20230803-psld.png.2dfa172ef5b5e1f54675bd31a232d92e.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

49 minutes ago, erkerkerk said:

What I want is to lose the background color of my document in Affinity Photo. It's white no matter what I do.

The white background you see is not a part of the document itself, so you can't lose it. It is just there to show the size & position of the document wherever it is displayed on the screen.

57 minutes ago, erkerkerk said:

Going to Layer > New Fill Layer had no effect.

You can set the color of a Fill Layer to any color you want (including gradients), so it will have an effect. However, if the document does not have a transparent background, & you set the Fill layer's color to white, it will appear that nothing has changed; although since it is a document layer, even if you export to PNG with a transparent background, the background will be filled with white because that layer covers the entire document.

1 hour ago, erkerkerk said:

Say I want to make a PNG with a transparent background from a new document. How do I do that?

Already explained several times, including in the first reply.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, markw said:

When creating a New document, under the ‘Colour’ tab make sure the 'Transparent Background’ tick-box is selected.
In any existing documents that have the white background, in the Menubar go to: Document > Transparent Background and select it there.

SCR-20230803-psld.png.2dfa172ef5b5e1f54675bd31a232d92e.png

Thank you! This solved it for me. I appreciate it.

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem & its driving me nuts! Tried checking and unchecking the transparentcy box, no change. Played with contrast and britness on my monitor no change! How the heck do I get a transparent backbround. It shows transparent in the little layers box, but on ALL the documents it stays white no matter what I do. Makes it REALLY hard to see what you are doing!

4 minutes ago, PattiR said:

I'm having the same problem & its driving me nuts! Tried checking and unchecking the transparentcy box, no change. Played with contrast and britness on my monitor no change! How the heck do I get a transparent backbround. It shows transparent in the little layers box, but on ALL the documents it stays white no matter what I do. Makes it REALLY hard to see what you are doing!

Can you provide a file that is displaying the behavior you described?

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer, Photo, Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

6 minutes ago, PattiR said:

Can you create a screenshot and share it with us? 

For a guess: the monitor brightness it contrast might be set to extreme values that prevent you from seeing the checkerboard. In that case, if you create a screenshot on your system, and we can see the checkerboard but you can't, that would confirm my guess.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I have fiddled with both brightness and contrast on my monitor, no matter the setting, all I see is white. The checkerboard briefly & lightly shows up when I try to catch a snip of it, but then goes right back to white. 

Here's another showing something I exported. Still white, although if you look at the layers panel you can see I removed the bacground & it exports ok, but working like this is a royal pain.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 133319.png

To me the background in both your posted screenshots is clearly a checkerboard. So it looks like an issue with your screen (or possibly eyes?!).

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

34 minutes ago, PattiR said:

Heres a screen shot

I have to agree with Aammppaa that there is clearly a checkerboard pattern, not a White Background.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, PattiR said:

I have fiddled with both brightness and contrast on my monitor, no matter the setting, all I see is white. The checkerboard briefly & lightly shows up when I try to catch a snip of it, but then goes right back to white. 

Check whether you have some kind of automatic brightness setting in the monitor or in your OS, or possibly some additional application that is "helping" you. As others have said, you clearly have the checkerboard.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

To me the background in both your posted screenshots is clearly a checkerboard. So it looks like an issue with your screen (or possibly eyes?!).

Same for me. The checkerboard pattern is clearly visible in both your screenshots.

Affinity Photo 

Ditto!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 hours ago, PattiR said:

I'm having the same problem

Try setting correct ICC profile for monitor in OS, or ICC profile in document.

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks for reporting your solution. Other people in the future will see it and benefit from this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.