You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to select any of the tools/panels using Sonoma beta (split)

Hi @Lenette and welcome to the forums,

Could you upload a screenshot of your complete Publisher screen?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

You can only choose tools that are applicable to the selected layer(s) in the current document, so you need to create or open a document. :)

Edited by Alfred
Added missing “are”. (Thanks, @thomaso!)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I’m confused, @Lenette! Your previous screenshot shows all the tools greyed out, but in the latest one they’re in full glorious Technicolor.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Lenette said:

It's no difference with or without a document open.

Maybe you could create a screen recording, if you're having a problem, so we can see what the problem is?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

@Alfred weren't they greyed out because no document was opened?

That’s what I thought, Thomas, but Lenette said “It's no difference with or without a document open.”

Alfred spacer.png

Lenette did not mention an issue with colours but with tool selection. So I would understand the feedback as referring to this selection problem, not to icon colours … not to mention "Technicolor" 🦄

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s what I thought, Thomas, but Lenette said “It's no difference with or without a document open.”

The problem is probably not in the grayness and thus also in the unavailability of the tools (the first screenshot was therefore confusing), but apparently in the fact that only the Move Tool (alias select arrow) can be selected.

38 minutes ago, Lenette said:

Only the select arrow is selectable.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 minutes ago, Lenette said:

Sorry everyone, I've been on a Zoom calls. I can select the arrow (select) but when I mouse to the tools and click, nothing happens.

In your screenshot, you don't have a Layer selected. Do you have this problem with a layer selected in the Layers Panel?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

51 minutes ago, Lenette said:

I can select the arrow (select) but when I mouse to the tools and click, nothing happens.

Can you select the tools using Keyboard Shortcuts. M for the Shapes tool, T for the Text tools, P for the Pen tool etc?

Are you using an Apple Mouse or some other Mouse or trackpad or a Graphics Tablet? Do you have any 3rd party Utilities for running Macros or Keyboard shortcuts? Or any 3rd party Utilities which may be between the Mac OS and the Publisher software.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce 

iMac (the same thing occurs on my MacBookPro - both products are fairly new)
Apple M1
macOS Sonoma 14.0 - Beta
Apple Mouse & Keyboard
No 3rd party or etc that I am aware of
V2 Beta on iMac vs V2 on MacBookPro

Keyboard shortcuts open and close T, actually that will let me select changes after a few open/close but the arrow won't switch to another tab (layers, paragraphs, etc.)

macOS Sonoma 14.0 - Beta could be the issue as it’s not currently supported by Affintiy apps though it seems odd this would only affect Publisher…

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

You can only choose tools that applicable to the selected layer(s)

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

you don't have a Layer selected.

Can you explain this requirement for having a layer selected? – How do you select a tool to create a new object in an empty document?
Edit: especially in APub, as in Lenettes screenshot?

Edited by thomaso

Hi @Lenette,

I would try a factory reset by launching Publisher while holding the Ctrl key...

When the 'Clear User Data' window appears, in addition to the first three items that are already selected, select the 'Reset Tool Presets' option under the 'All Affinity Apps' section and then hit the 'Clear' button to let Publisher launch and see whether or not that makes any difference and if you can now select other tools in the tools palette when you have your document open.

@Lenette, you are running both the Affinity Publisher 2 Beta version & the macOS Sonoma 14.0 Beta, which APub does not yet support. So basically, with 2 betas in play that is lamost certainly why things are not working well, if at all.

If you want to use the software & avoid numerous issues, you almost certainly will have to use the last currently supported version of the macOS ... & it would be a good idea to use the release (not beta) of the Affinity apps with it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Can you explain this requirement for having a layer selected? – How do you select a tool to create a new object in an empty document?
Edit: especially in APub, as in Lenettes screenshot?

Good point! I was thinking about the tools in general, including those that are used to alter selected layers/objects, rather than the object creation tools in particular.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

tools in general, including those that are used to alter selected layers/objects

But aren't those tools generally a small minority? In my APubs photo persona only 1 of 45 tools in the panel refuses to get selected, while this one reacts quite friendly:

toolselection.jpg.480185c21f46ed9dbd4acddd1d19fc07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS Sonoma] Unable to change Panel or Persona" (REF: AFB-7965) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.