You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2.1.0 Affinity Photo breaks Nik Collection

The new update breaks the Nik collection plugins. They no longer have a save option to go back to Affinity, you have to save the image as an external file. This is ironic because Nik v6 has just introduced an integrated installation procedure that auto-detects Affinity Photo. It worked perfectly with 2.0 but with 2.1 no good. I'm on a MacOS 15 M1 Mac mini.

I haven't tried reinstalling Nik 6 yet(my next step) I'll update if that fixes things, but it really shouldn't be necessary!

EDIT: I reinstalled Nik but it made no difference. No Save/Cancel just "Save preset".

Does anyone know how to roll-back an Affinity "upgrade" to the previous version?

EDIT2: I rolled Nik 6 back to version 5. It works with Affinity 2.1 The usual Cancel/Brush/Apply buttons show up. So it only seems to be an issue between Affinity 2.1 and Nik v6 (I just reinstalled Nik 6 and it still doesn't work.) Since it seems to be Nik 6 specific I'll post an issue on the Nik forum too and see if anyone there has a workaround.

EDIT3: I found the original Affinity 2.0 dmg file so have reinstalled that and Nik6 is working happily again. Since there was nothing in update 2.1 that I really needed I'll work with this until I hear that there is a solution.

Just some added notes.

I notice the other comments mention Affinity locking or crashing but I haven't had that issue. I quit the plugin(via the red top-bar button or the Affinity->Quit menu item) and it goes back to Affinity which carries on working as usual.

I can confirm that (the new) Nik6 does not work as designed in Affinity Photo v.2.1. No Save button, so have to apply a workaround (save as jpg, add as layer to afphoto file). Hope it can be fixed soon, as I am trialling Nik 6.
No problem with Affinity Photo v.1.10.6. and Nik6.
I still have a copy of Affinity Photo v.2.0.4 on an external hard drive. Can I just drag it back to my internal SSD, thereby overwriting the newer 2.1, or is 'rolling back to v.2.0' more complicated than that?

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

• Staff
6 minutes ago, LesC said:

I still have a copy of Affinity Photo v.2.0.4 on an external hard drive. Can I just drag it back to my internal SSD, thereby overwriting the newer 2.1, or is 'rolling back to v.2.0' more complicated than that?

If you want to roll back to 2.0.4 on Mac, remove the 2.1 app first by drag and dropping it over to the bin from applications and then clear it, and then move the 2.0.4 DMG file onto your SSD and then double click to open it, and then drag and drop the Afphoto Icon over the 'Applications' folder as prompted to on screen to install 2.0.4. You should then be able to launch it from Applications.

Thank you, Nathan, for your quick reply. I'll do it right away!

Roll back successful. To be clear: I had no dmg file, just a previous version (v.2.0.4) of Affinity Photo. But all seems well.
Am now back at v.2.0.4, where Nik6 works as designed. Hope there will soon be an update to the v.2.1 version.

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

3 hours ago, JohnoGolfer said:

if you downloaded from the App Store then not sure you can...

As long as the V2 license purchase was registered with the user's Affinity account, they should be able to install from either the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store. The license is in one of two forms:

1. Universal: covers all 3 applications, on all 3 OSes, from any Store. But the purchase must be registered to the Affinity account.
  2. Specific application and OS: Covers that single application, on that single OS, and you can download from any Store that supplies it. However, downloading from a different Store requires that the initial purchase is registered to the Affinity account.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 11:05 AM, alanGmedia said:

Just some added notes.

I notice the other comments mention Affinity locking or crashing but I haven't had that issue. I quit the plugin(via the red top-bar button or the Affinity->Quit menu item) and it goes back to Affinity which carries on working as usual.

EDIT: That should say <Nik Application>->Quit not Affinity->Quit. Apologies.

• Staff

The issue "Nik collection 6 when launched from 2.1 doesn't have an Apply/Cancel button but does when launched from 2.0.4 MacOS." (REF: AFP-6184) has been retested using Nix Collection 6.1 and found to no longer occur in build "2.1.0.1806". We think that DxO have addressed this problem and now recognise Affinity Photo 2 more reliably. Hopefully you also find this is true with a new install/update of the collection.

From their support forums thread on this the 6.1 release notes are currently here including this grafik.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon