You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.9)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it. Please note that if you use features which are only present in the Beta version then save your document, it will no longer open in the Mac App Store version.

This beta is basically the same as yesterday's 1.3.5.8 release, but addresses the following issues:

- Fix for issues found with OS X Mavericks and earlier

- Fix for margins/guides not being correctly loaded/saved

- Miscellaneous PDF export improvements

- Fix for Place Image panel crashing

Matt, could you fix the select inside artboards with CMD + Drag? It’s really annoying.........  :mellow:  :huh:  <_<

Yes, Please, that is… more than annoying… just finished complex illustration… and it was really painful :-( selecting all small dots one by one… today I have not nice words for AD :-)

Artboards really need some work ;-)

BTW, I am not able to make a single dot with pencil… is it a bug or I should not use pencil for dots?

Interesting - if I convert all the text elements to curves, the problem goes away, and the file is exported.

In PDF/X-1a, the Embed fonts option is greyed out (the greying out looks rather messy, BTW):

post-837-0-37581000-1447861269_thumb.png

so I can’t opt to have text converted to paths.

While in other PDF export options, that dropdown is enabled, so fonts can be converted to paths:

post-837-0-91995100-1447861269_thumb.png

HairyDalek, thanks for the file. It does export here, but I am missing the JohnstonITC font, so it looks like it is an issue with that font. Can you send me a copy of that font so I can look into it? I'll delete it after. You can use a PM here, or send it to our support email.

PDF/X-1a does not allow unembedded fonts, so the control is disabled, but I guess it should be enabled to allow them to be converted to curves.

Posted Today, 06:16 PM

dreamt83, on 18 Nov 2015 - 6:02 PM, said:snapback.png

Is it possible to export in PDF/X-3:2002 Standard? Many online printers required it.

Thanks

We support the slightly later PDF/X-3:2003 standard. Do you have a printer that requires 2002 not 2003?

Flyeralarm. I'm not joking... and I have to use it  :(

PDF files have to correspond to PDF/X-3:2002 standard. Please observe the following requirements:

• PDF version must be 1.3
  • transparancies are not allowed
  • transparency reduction must be chosen in such way that text and vectors are not converted into image data.
    (specification: high quality/resolution; the term can vary from software to software)
  • coloured tiles/tiled patterns are not allowed
  • comments and form fields are not allowed
  • encodings (e.g. password protection) are not allowed
  • OPI-comments are not allowed
  • transfer curves are not allowed
  • an Output-Intent has to be specified

In addition to the PDF/X-3:2002 standard settings please also note:

• convert all fonts in curves and paths
  • layers are not allowed
  • do not rotate your PDF file

Additional information regarding PDF/X-3:2002 can be found on www.pdfx3.org.

Switch documents (Cmd + `) doesn't work; I can't find the entry on the Keyboard Shortcuts Pref pane... any pointers where I can find this?

Thanks

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hi guys,

finally the printers marks! (and Illustrator is closer to the trash)

OK, some questions: if I export in pdf (PDF/X-4) all printers marks are added, but is possible to add only the crop marks? (no name, date, hour, and so on)

Is it possible to view the bleed in the canvas?

What is the "Allow advanced futures" check box?

Bye

Paolo

Ops, I forgot: If I add a guide in the bleed space the guide is deleted: is it a beta limitations or si it a bug?

Oh... I saw that but thought it was specific only to Views within the current open file, not across documents... interesting. Thanks for the quick response and all you do.

It's in Miscellaneous -> Switch to Next View

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Designer crashes on saving a 200+MB file. After any update to existing elements (e.g. changing color, shape roundness...) and pressing Cmd+S, AD crashes instantly.

Is there any way how I can provide the crash log..?

post-3178-0-16253800-1447895057_thumb.png

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Designer crashes on saving a 200+MB file. After any update to existing elements (e.g. changing color, shape roundness...) and pressing Cmd+S, AD crashes instantly.

Is there any way how I can provide the crash log..?

It seems that the crash was related to history saved within the document.

• when a new history record was added, AD crashed after Cmd+S
  • when a few last records were deleted, AD did not crash after Cmd+S. Crash emerges after some more actions and Cmd+S
  • when clicking back to some very old history record (like the first one), AD crashed instantly, even without Cmd+S

I resolved the issue by unchecking "File > Save History With Document". The filesize dropped from about 210 MB to 140 MB and now I'm good to go.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• Staff

Hi Lojza,

You don't happen to have an old version of that file with the history that was causing the crash do you? I could really do with seeing what was going wrong and fixing it so it doesn't happen again... If you have anything you could send to support@seriflabs.com that would be really useful - I'll obviously delete the file as soon as I've fixed the crash :)

Thanks,

Matt

With the new "hide selection" button, it seems to hide the marquee selection box as well, so selecting seems strange. It still selects but doesn't provide visual feedback. I like having the hide selections feature but not hiding the marquee selection box. You need to see what you're selecting, especially if you're trying to avoid certain elements.

Any chance to put the marquee rectangle as you drag to select multiple elements back in, but still have the selection hidden when moving or rotating?

Also I agree with someone else's suggestion to have the hide selection feature be a preference - on or off app wide.

One more thing, how about having the ability to hide selection in node mode? Why just in move mode?

Posted Today, 06:16 PM

dreamt83, on 18 Nov 2015 - 6:02 PM, said:snapback.png

We support the slightly later PDF/X-3:2003 standard. Do you have a printer that requires 2002 not 2003?

Flyeralarm. I'm not joking... and I have to use it  :(

PDF files have to correspond to PDF/X-3:2002 standard. Please observe the following requirements:

• PDF version must be 1.3
  • transparancies are not allowed
  • transparency reduction must be chosen in such way that text and vectors are not converted into image data.

(specification: high quality/resolution; the term can vary from software to software)

• coloured tiles/tiled patterns are not allowed
  • comments and form fields are not allowed
  • encodings (e.g. password protection) are not allowed
  • OPI-comments are not allowed
  • transfer curves are not allowed
  • an Output-Intent has to be specified

In addition to the PDF/X-3:2002 standard settings please also note:

• convert all fonts in curves and paths
  • layers are not allowed
  • do not rotate your PDF file

Additional information regarding PDF/X-3:2002 can be found on www.pdfx3.org.

I believe we conform to all of that, except that Text as Curves is currently disabled, which we'll fix in the next beta.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.