You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why should I buy Publisher as well as Designer and Photo?

It's not really any use to me at the moment really, but it might be?

I have the 3 month trial version and I've played about with it once. I just don't have the time to use it any more because I'm busy figuring out Designer.

Is it useful for web design?

I'm just wondering what it can do that Designer and/or Photo can't be configured to do? I mean I can create my own templates for that on either..

It's not for web design.

It's for publishing (books, magazines, newsletters, ...).

However, it also gives you a better integration tool for using the Designer Persona from the Designer application, and the Photo Persona from the Photo application, that can help in some workflows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I'm just wondering what it can do that Designer and/or Photo can't be configured to do?

In the typography and textflow department APub does have capabilities that the other two do not have. Also it can create indexes and table(s) of content. Generally APub is the better tool if you are working on long documents.

I would not recommend to use either of them for web design. Except for webgraphics, images, icons or banners, etc.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

The official Serif marketing ‘blurb’ for Publisher ( https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/ first parapgraph) says that it can be used for “website mock-ups”.
While this is technically true, it is also technically true for MS Paint, Notepad, and many other things.
I think the ‘blurb’ should be changed to avoid further confusion in prospective users.

Most posters could probably be done just as easily with Designer.  Publisher would add some benefit if you want to have word wrap around unusual shapes and the like, but for the most part you could work around that in a pinch if it is just an occasional thing.  Publisher does have more advanced typography controls but again for a poster, you could probably live without.

If you miss Adobe Fireworks, you can create Pages in Publisher and work your design in Designer.

Bad example but it came to mind.

Best regards!

19 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

If you miss Adobe Fireworks, you can create Pages in Publisher and work your design in Designer.

Bad example but it came to mind.

Best regards!

Never used Fireworks so don't know. Adobe ended up with so many different bits of software it all go too convoluted for me, and also too expensive!

It really comes down to what you want to do. Very basically, if you're only doing single page designs, Designer and/or Photo will probably do all you want. If you need to create multipage publications (books, booklets etc) Publisher is better. Personally I'd say that (Especially at the current price,) cover all eventualities and get the whole suite. If you want to produce web pages, look elsewhere!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Could not agree more about the greed of Adobe.
I hope that the Affinity people have them quaking in their boots.
Decided to get all 3 applications as they were so cheap.
Do not regret it one bit !

Just hope that one day they come up with an alternative to DreamWeaver.

Affinity Publisher is kind of what Adobe InDesign is. Like said above, it is great for publishing longer documents. I think one of the best features is you can edit your other affinity documents (photos or vectors) right in publisher, no need to start up the seperate programs, just click the vector- or photo persona inside Publisher and you have every tool available to you right there!