You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.5)

Hi there,

After one year of its release i am using your trial version of Affinity Designer once again.
The real aim is to switch from win (I use Corel Draw a lot) to mac.
Once again i am very pleased to see your improvements and that this app is so easy and so intuitive to use and pretty stable too.
I found some issues while i was doing some test with some works. Some of them may be my lack of experience with the app, but some others may not.

Before i go into that, i would like to point out that my aim is to help you guys to detect some possible errors and that you guys to help me having a great app that allows me to do my work :)

here are some problems i had/found using the trial version 1.3.5:

Guides
- I´m not able to select more than a guide at the same time
- Can´t set my own zero point of the ruler
- Can´t change the guides color
- Can´t rotate the guides

Grids
I have a huge trouble to visualize the grid well. Is it possible to change the Color/Size

Nudges
- Can´t find a way to change the nudge distance

Text
- is there a way to Convert frame text into artistic text?
- Is it possible to have a text and separate all the lines into independent lines?

Vectors
- Autotrace would help

Printing
- Still think it would be important to have more options when printing… it would help me a lot to be able to set the page size and distribute the work through the page and set the distance between them (mainly for bleeding) and crop marks… and export all that to a pdf. I know i can do all that manually but is a boring and slow process…

Problem Exporting to pdf
- I was exploring the app, trying to make a background with a few images and blending them and i tried to export that into a pdf. The background changed a lot. if i export that to a jpeg or a tiff every thing is ok.

congratulations for the app once more and hope that soon i can use this tool for my daily work.

Best regards

• Staff

Hello macalienx,

Guides/Grids: there 's some improvements coming that will address some of those issues. 

Nudges: you can already set the nudge distances and units in the latest Beta;

Text: No to both questions;

Vectors: this is something that may come later (long term)

Printing: there will be some printing improvements (mostly for professional printing) that may help here. Check Affinity Designer's roadmap for more info;

PDF exporting issue: Can you attach the file here (or a dropbox link) so we can take a look?

• Staff

Hi macalienx,

Thanks for the file. The issue is with the layer have the Blend Mode set to Difference. It's not supported when you export as PDF. You can duplicate the Opt1 group (if you want to keep the original layers), right-click on it and select Rasterise... to rasterise/compose it before exporting. Then export as usual.

I have a PDF export issue. I've removed the background of two layers in Photo and brought the document into Designer to layout.

If I leave the layers with masking applied the whole app crashes while trying to calculate the file size.

If I rasterise one or the other layer, same thing.

If I rasterise both layers the document will export as normal.

One tiny thing I've noticed, and this is just a suggestion—when using "B" for a brush tool in the raster persona, then switching to another tool with a shortcut key, and then back to "B," it switches to the alternate tool from the one last used (so, the Pixel Brush). That requires me to remember to double-type "B" every time I switch back to the brush. It would be nice if when switching to a different tool, the shortcut key for the previous tool would return it to the last used tool instead of the alternate, just by default logic. That's a tiny thing tho. Artboards are what I keep returning to check for. :)

Just downloaded the beta, so have not really used the app with anything. Happy to see pantones are finally added and they export with files. There was the work around to get pantone in Designer, but any export converted everything to cmyk.

Very novice at this app, have not used it because of the lack of pantone and spot colour support. Is there a way to have a panel with saved colours in the document, like spot colours, individual pantones rather then just a swatch panel? Illustrator has this done right, you can open up a tab, or window with the pantones, but it is seperate

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-03%20at%209.55.0

Not sure if the screen shot will work, but I have circled a pantone and spot colour. It is a real pain if I have to move through an entire pantone library when working on a job when really I will probably only have 1 or 2 of those pantone colours in my file. Is there an way to separate these? Have a window for swatches that are being used in the document while having another window to load up individual pantone and color libraries?

• Staff

Hi wonderings,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently you can create a palette from the colours used in the document going to the Swatches menu (the icon on the top right in the Swatches panel) and selecting Create Palette From Document, however there's still not way to visually identify the type of libraries used. There should be more improvements here later.

I also find these options to get shades etc of one color not so usable.

The colours are just added to the swatch.

There is no way of getting a good impression on them and easily manage them.

A more generous space would be much better IMO. Colours deserve more than a tiny square for each.

But you're probably aware of this anyway so I'm looking forward to further improvements.

Hi wonderings,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently you can create a palette from the colours used in the document going to the Swatches menu (the icon on the top right in the Swatches panel) and selecting Create Palette From Document, however there's still not way to visually identify the type of libraries used. There should be more improvements here later.

So I tried this and was indeed able to get the colours in the document into its own palette. How do I add new colours to this palette? Would really be nice to have drag and drop and multiple tabs for swatches, pantones and even the colour slider for cmyk. 

Create a box with 100%  "K" black outline 10pt. Fill with 100% "C" Cyan.

If tick the overprint black in Beta (1.3.5.5) and output a PDF.  Looking at the PDF in Acrobat there's no overprint on the black line.

Am I missing something here to create an overprint black?

Are you exporting to a CMYK colour space? How are you checking for overprint? I just tried this myself, using "List page objects, grouped by type of object", and my box does have "overprint: on" for its stroke.

Are you exporting to a CMYK colour space? How are you checking for overprint? I just tried this myself, using "List page objects, grouped by type of object", and my box does have "overprint: on" for its stroke.

Where are these options to List page objects...I want to try it myself.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.