You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Document Window and Fullscreen Mode

In beta 531 (and it seemed something similar in the previous beta), I have notice that the New Document window seems to forget whether the app is in full screen mode. Sometimes when I am in fullscreen mode, the new document window opens up in another space*, one of the Desktop (non-fullscreen) spaces. Sometimes it seems to do this, and sometimes it doesn't, so I haven't hit upon the exact recipe, but rotating through this sequence seems to eventually bring it up sooner or later:

1. Open and close the New Document window
  2. Switch to fullscreen mode
  3. Open and close the New Document window
  4. Exit fullscreen mode

Repeat steps another time if the issue hasn't manifested. After it first manifests the problem, it seems impossible to get the window to stay in the same space while in fullscreen mode. Restarting the app will solve the problem until the next time.

In case it is relevant, I am using the red dot in the title bar to close the New Window dialog, and the green dot to enter and exit the fullscreen mode.

*By "space," I am referring to the Mission Control terminology.

I am using macOS 10.14.6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (New Document: Screen goes blank/black after full screening dialog and clicking Create) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

23 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area

Not sure what was improved?

The change of spaces is still happening at least on Publisher 1.8.2.619.  MacOS 10.13.6 in my case.  After creating a document or closing the window it still does not change back to show the document.

• Staff

@Chris B or @Sean P

Please investigate this fix failure, thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I think the recipe given to the developers was different to the one provided here.

We had:

1. New Document dialog
  2. Press the green button on the New Document dialog to full-screen it
  3. Click Create
  4. Result - A dark screen

However, I think the recipe here is actually:

1. Full screen the app
  2. New Document Dialog
  3. Create
  4. Result - Empty app screen. When I click Create, I just see this window I'm typing this into. Is this what you are seeing?

Once you confirm this I can log it. Apologies. If you could do a screen recording that would be superb! 

I think there is a mixup with another similar bug, as neither of those recipes are quite what I am talking about here. Notably, the "Create" step is not part of the recipe, and I am not taking the new document window itself fullscreen, but the app. The problem is that when the app is in full screen, the new document window switches to another space.

I have tested again in the latest 1.8.2 release, and I have made a video of the problem. To show the space switching, I had to record the fullscreen, but I tried to do what I could to minimize the file size.

The starting condition in the video below is that I opened Publisher afresh with no document and outside of fullscreen mode. The undesired behavior is at 0:09.

Now I can't seem to find a way to get to the New Document Window to open in the full screen app ever, whereas I could before. While waiting on a bug fix, has anyone found a sequence that will get the new document window to open in the same space as the app?

On Mac if you hold the option key down then click on the 'full screen' button you will be able to zoom the window to fill the screen (keeping the menubar).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks @Old Bruce. Although I specifically want true fullscreen, not just enlarged to fill a desktop space, I did not know that tip, and it will be helpful for other uses in the future.

Similarly, in most Mac apps, you can double click on the title bar to achieve the same thing. This does work in Publisher if you have enough space between the toolbar buttons.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.